Indians' Identity

hjwii

That's interesting stuff. As a non-designer, I love learning from posts like these.

What is the design definition of "neutral" then? I always thought of "neutral" meaning that it can be put along side of any color without clashing, yet I would never put brown with black (it'd have to be a very light shade of brown, and even then I probably wouldn't do it.)

I just returned from Milan yesterday and the windows are full of brown with black. It's all over the place there. Sure, that's fashion and not sports but who knows.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's interesting stuff. As a non-designer, I love learning from posts like these.

What is the design definition of "neutral" then? I always thought of "neutral" meaning that it can be put along side of any color without clashing, yet I would never put brown with black (it'd have to be a very light shade of brown, and even then I probably wouldn't do it.)

I just returned from Milan yesterday and the windows are full of brown with black. It's all over the place there. Sure, that's fashion and not sports but who knows.

I think were dealing with multiple definitions of the word "neutral". In basic color theory, "neutral" means something very specific. Its a composite color (in other words, all 3 primary colors) that exist outside the visual spectrum of light (the colors you see in a rainbow, what most people remember with the ROY G. BIV thing). So neutral means brown, biege, tan, flesh, olive, ... anything a bit muddied, or technically "de-saturated".

In everyday conversation, though, neutral means "goes with almost anything"... which I think is really pretty different. On this site, people use the term "neutral" to try to explain why their favorite team is allowed to add black, or gray, charcole, anthrax, off-white, or God-knows-what, and somehow that doesn't change the color scheme. Which is nonsense.

Archived