USMNT Kit History

aawagner011

Hey all,

I've begun a project documenting every kit worn by the Yanks. These are entirely my own work (templates, illustrations, etc). This is limited only to kits that have actually been worn. So far I'm as current as early 2008. I want to make this a more detailed project and put a "label" to each kit so that I can actually document the history behind that. For example, I think it'd be sweet to have them all listed on a site with tags on each one. Tags would reflect the color combos (example: when wearing white shirts, blue shorts, white socks, the record is X wins, Y ties, Z losses). Then there will be a brief description of some of the highlights of that kit. What were some of the memorable moments, top goals, achievements, etc?

Anyways, that's the idea thus far. I've got a lot of the kits already completed. All the way back to early 2008.

Let's start it off.

2012 away kit

dyu6nd.png

Worn in the 1-0 win against Italy in which Dempsey scored off an Altidore assist. First win vs. Italy in US history. Sees the continuation of the sash, but in tonal version (similar to the 2010 home). No names on the back, as is the norm under the Klinsmann era. Starters #1-11.

2010 home kit

2552yab.png

The primary kit worn from early 2010, thru the World Cup, and up until early 2012. Memorable moments include the Donovan goal in the waning moments against Algeria and the extra time heartbreaker loss to Ghana.

2010 home kit with 2008 socks

21e0zr4.png

Ironically, when the home kit debuted in the 4-2 loss to Czech Republic, the team had issues with the socks. Either they didn't receive the new socks in time, or the equipment manager had an issue of confusion. Regardless, the new kit debuted matched with the old socks.

2010 home vs. Brazil

25t7qqe.png

In a 2-nil loss to Brazil after the World Cup, the US wore their usual home kits with a match designation on the sleeve. The sleeve read on three lines. "USA vs. Brazil, E. Rutherford, New Jersey, August 10, 2010".

2010 home NNOB

rcrmm1.png

Same home kit without the names (as per usual under Klinsmann).

2010 home alt

53jziu.png

The home kit matched with the away shorts. Seen in a 1-0 loss to France. Only match in which the white/blue/white combo was seen.

2010 away kit

sljn7o.png

Away kit seen in the 2010 World Cup and in a few friendlies, including a win against South Africa in Cape Town. The kit was used in the 1-1 tie vs. England, as well as the 2-2 tie in which we were robbed by Koman Coulibaly on a phantom foul in which Maurice Edu scored what would be the go ahead goal.

2010 away kit alt

331lnyu.png

The away kit actually debuted in the alt form vs. Netherlands in early 2010. 2-1 loss in which Bocanegra scored.

2011 third kit "Indivisible"

32zo1l0.png

The third kit debuted due to "supporter demand" for a red kit. The motto on the sleeve was chosen via a Twitter hype campaign. The red Indivisible kit was worn in the tie vs. Argentina in which Agudelo scored.

2008 home kit

s0vpc2.png

Home kit used throughout World Cup qualification.

2008 home kit different numbers

2el9xyx.png

The home kit initially debuted vs. Mexico in a 2-2 tie. The difference with this kit is that the numbers on the back did not feature the crest in the lower portion. This is the only match in which this kit was worn.

2008 home kit alt

14kefc7.png

The one time this kit was worn was during the 3-1 implosion loss at Saprissa against Costa Rica during qualification. It's the standard home kit matched with the away socks. Strange combo.

2008 home kit alt

e6uof9.png

The kit made famous throughout the entire 2009 Confederations Cup and the shocker win vs. Spain. Features an all white combo using the alt shorts from the away kit. If you'll notice, the shorts piping is red/gray instead of the shirt's blue/gray piping. This is because the away shirt features red/gray piping. Still a great combo and a clean look. Fantastic memories from this kit.

2008 away kit

hvrkvn.png

The all gray away kit used for a few games in qualification and friendlies. Strange but clean look. Something about it just works.

2008 away kit different numbers

2daaoh4.png

The away kit debuted like the home kit did without numbers in the crest. This kit was only worn once; it debuted in a 3-0 win in Poland vs. Poland.

2008 away kit alt

9zy5qg.png

Away kit worn with alt white shorts. Worn in a 2-nil loss to England at Wembley.

And that's where I leave you. I'm as up to date as early 2008. So the next round of kits up will be the 2006 set which included:

the white shirt with red/blue racing stripe with either white or blue shorts and white socks

blue shirt with red/white horizontal striping with either white or blue shorts and blue socks

the DTOM red kit

the royal blue pinstripe shirt with either white or royal blue shorts and royal blue socks

P.S. @ bucknut- Thank you for the compliments! And yes, all the templates here are of my own work.

Very impressive stuff. How far back are you planning to go?

One nitpick: the numbers on the 2012 away kit aren't gray. As someone on here pointed out, they're white with a fine blue dot print, much like the numbers on the 2010 kit.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Very impressive stuff. How far back are you planning to go?

One nitpick: the numbers on the 2012 away kit aren't gray. As someone on here pointed out, they're white with a fine blue dot print, much like the numbers on the 2010 kit.

Yeah, i couldn't tell though whether yours was white with a mesh pattern or silver, but i'm glad you took the time to do this. Anyway this ends up on the main site??

Ok, sorry, I guess nitpick was the wrong word to use. I was just trying to point something out to him.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Thanks for the comments, guys. The numbers on the 12 away kit were something I wasn't sure about. I knew how the numbers were applied, but the details seemed so small that I was unsure how to visually portray it. I didn't think the details would show well in the image. If you look closely, I actually just applied a very light texture to give a sense of something in the numbers. I will go back and try to update them to better reflect that detail.

I've updated the numbers on the 2012 away to better reflect the look. If you were to zoom in on the Inkscape file, you'd see I've placed little white dots- exactly like the new kits. It's hard to see them in the png photo, but that what they are.

For comparison (previous numbers):

2upd5w4.png

And the new numbers:

dyu6nd.png

• 1 month later...

Archived