MLB ALL*STAR GAME

STL FANATIC

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...9;08+or+'09

Cards shooting for All-Star Game in '08 or '09

BY RICK HUMMEL

Of the Post-Dispatch

05/28/2004

The Cardinals haven't played host to an All-Star Game since 1966 and they won't have one either in 2006, which had been a possibility when the subject of a new ballpark first had been broached.

The new stadium is scheduled to open in 2006. But Cardinals general partner Bill DeWitt Jr., said Friday the club really wouldn't want to host -- nor would it be prepared to host -- an All-Star Game that year or even in 2007.

DeWitt said that the club was shooting for 2008 or 2009 "when the Ballpark Village will be more developed."

Detroit will be the site of next year's All-Star Game. No sites have been chosen after that, but word is that commissioner Bud Selig basically has assured DeWitt and the Cardinals that whatever year they want the game they can have it.

Ordinarily, sites are alternated between the National and American Leagues, with the National League customarily having the even-numbered years. But since there are two more teams in the National League, that scenario isn't necessarily set in stone.

For instance, Pittsburgh and San Francisco, both National League teams, have a chance to be chosen for 2006 and 2007.

If that happened, it would be unlikely that three consecutive National League clubs would be chosen to host, which could move the Cardinals back to 2009. But no later.

It shoudl remain every other year

2005 is in Detroit

2006 should go to San Fran if St. Louis is not ready, and not Pittsburgh tehy had it in 1994 they should have to wiat at least 20 years. Maybe even Arizona should be considered.

2007 Yankee Stadium by then it will be 30 years since the ASG was in New York its time!

2008 St. Louis 42 years is a long time for a great baseball city

and as soon as Miami is ready tehy shoudl get one

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

It shoudl remain every other year

2005 is in Detroit

2006 should go to San Fran if St. Louis is not ready, and not Pittsburgh tehy had it in 1994 they should have to wiat at least 20 years. Maybe even Arizona should be considered.

2007 Yankee Stadium by then it will be 30 years since the ASG was in New York its time!

2008 St. Louis 42 years is a long time for a great baseball city

and as soon as Miami is ready tehy shoudl get one

agreed

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I'd love to have the ASG at SBC Park. Just picture the HR derby guys going for the water in right field and the glove (500 feet away) in left center field.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Yeah San Fran will be a great HR Derby I like HR derbys in Stadiums with intersting areas for home runs landing.

With that criteria, to me, the best HR derbys were Boston 1999 and Baltimore 1993.

If the ASG comes to SF, it will definately be the best one ever.

This years HR derby will be advantageous to RH hitters who can hit it short down the LF line (which will the opposite next year). I'll bet NO ONE will try to aim for the CF wall.

I saw, I came, I left.

How about one of the most beautiful ballparks in the country, Kauffman Stadium? It's been over thirty years since KC has hosted the game. Isn't about time the city was involved with baseball in a positive way :P Besides, who wouldn't love to see derby balls land in the fountains or possibly leave the park entirely?

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

Yeah San Fran will be a great HR Derby I like HR derbys in Stadiums with intersting areas for home runs landing.

With that criteria, to me, the best HR derbys were Boston 1999 and Baltimore 1993.

If the ASG comes to SF, it will definately be the best one ever.

This years HR derby will be advantageous to RH hitters who can hit it short down the LF line (which will the opposite next year). I'll bet NO ONE will try to aim for the CF wall.

C'mon now... 1991 was interesting.

How many HR derby's had balls landing in peoples dinner plates? :)

---

Chris Creamer

Sjydome has some intersting areas it was also the first of the modern format too if Im not mistaken. Before 91 it was the league they were playing for and was not taken seriously.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

How about one of the most beautiful ballparks in the country, Kauffman Stadium? It's been over thirty years since KC has hosted the game. Isn't about time the city was involved with baseball in a positive way :P Besides, who wouldn't love to see derby balls land in the fountains or possibly leave the park entirely?

WHOO HOOO! the "K" rocks!

The fact that St. Louis is probably getting the game in '08 might make it difficult for the K to be considered for a while after that. While I would love to see back-to-back Missouri ASG's, I doubt the rest of the baseball world would.

Sjydome has some intersting areas it was also the first of the modern format too if Im not mistaken. Before 91 it was the league they were playing for and was not taken seriously.

How did the old format work?

---

Chris Creamer

Four or five hitters from each league and it was a legue contest so if Darryl STrawberry hit 4 it would be 4 HRs for the NL then Canseco hit 2 for AL it would be 4-2. SO the league with most total homers among ther 4/5 competators was the winner.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

PNC has the Allegheny River beyond right-center. And it DEFINITELY deserves to host the '06 game.

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

Archived