How to vectorize this?

The Fixer

I'm doing a sort of tribute tattoo of my mom for my dad and he wants this knot plust some other stuff. But I cannot figure out how to make this symmetrical in illustrator. it just isn't working. can someone tell me how they would do it. I want to get it perfect

celticstrength303.jpg

That's exactly what I did but you run into the issue of the two sides not being symmetrical. And the inner triangle not smooth. And worst of all- the "stem" not fitting together lIke a puzzle piece when you duplicate it

Using some guidelines may be helpful. Your shape tools can come in handy to make custom guides, especially with this being so geometric already. It may also help to turn the image so that the straight lines go horizontal and vertical, as it will be easier to make sure they are exact that way.

MegatronSig2.jpg

1. Draw two sets of bars, horizontally and vertically. They should be of equal width, and equally spaced.

2. Duplicate those four bars, but widen them. (Black in the example)

3. Use the wider black bars to cut through the coloured bars where their partners should appear to overlap. (In this case, the left-most blue bar should appear to overlap the lower magenta bar, so I've used the black bar beneath that blue bar to cut through the lower magenta bar)

4. Once you've done that to all four coloured bars, they should look interwoven, like this.

5. Place a circle, the same thickness as the four coloured bars, centred over the bars.

6. Using the same width as the spaces between the sets of coloured bars, cut the circle into four segments.

7. Trim the length of the coloured bars so that their ends fit within the segments of the circle.

8. Join the segments of the circles to the shortened bars, so that you have one object.

9. Round off the corners of the loops.

10. Rotate it 45 degrees.

Celtic_Knot.gif

1. Draw two sets of bars, horizontally and vertically. They should be of equal width, and equally spaced.

2. Duplicate those four bars, but widen them. (Black in the example)

3. Use the wider black bars to cut through the coloured bars where their partners should appear to overlap. (In this case, the left-most blue bar should appear to overlap the lower magenta bar, so I've used the black bar beneath that blue bar to cut through the lower magenta bar)

4. Once you've done that to all four coloured bars, they should look interwoven, like this.

5. Place a circle, the same thickness as the four coloured bars, centred over the bars.

6. Using the same width as the spaces between the sets of coloured bars, cut the circle into four segments.

7. Trim the length of the coloured bars so that their ends fit within the segments of the circle.

8. Join the segments of the circles to the shortened bars, so that you have one object.

9. Round off the corners of the loops.

10. Rotate it 45 degrees.

Celtic_Knot.gif

samurAi

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived