Tigers at Rangers, 8/11/12

hecticbro

Turn on the MLB Network. The Tigers and the Rangers are both wearing throwbacks from the 80s (or maybe 70s?).... the thing is, I think they're both in road uniforms. Detroit's road grey with the plain script and white-outlined orange 'D' cap basically looks like they did in the '84 World Series, and Texas is in light blue shirts and pants, with royal blue, red-brimmed caps. Both teams' shirts are pullovers, but the Rangers' has a couple buttons at the collar.

Those Tiger caps are from the 70's. The jersey went from the 70's into the mid-late 80's. The road cap in '84 was what they currently wear. I have one of the authentic wool caps like they are wearing in this game That I bought in the 70's.

I actually owned versions of both of these when I was a kid, since I was a Nolan Ryan fan from Detroit. I think the current Tigers road uni is one of the best in baseball, though. The script and more complex outlining just looks much nicer than the bland font did.

Why are the Tigers playing the Mud Hens? :D

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/14000000/Klinger-m-a-s-h-14058261-320-240.jpg

And the current Tigers roads are very nice. The only thing I would change is losing the white outline around everything.

Agreed. These throwbacks are bland and generic compared to the current ones. Ditch the white trim and they're perfect.

Archived