LOGOLYMPIAD - Event 4

pollux

For this event, you have to crossover any American Basketball Association (1968-1976) team to American football. You have to create one colored uniform set, one helmet and a primary logo. The logo must incorporate one of the team's marks.

• Use the colors that are already part of the color scheme; do NOT add more colors (other than white).
  • The uniform set should include a jersey and pants only.

DEADLINE: Monday, October 1st, 11:59 AM Eastern Time

Reminder

Failure to follow the guidelines could result in your entry being inadvertently (or intentionally) excluded from judging.

Entries must be emailed to logolympiad (@) gmail (dot) com prior to the set deadline. Subject line should be the event number (Ex: Event 1). Once you submit your entry, it is considered final.

Entries must be submitted as .jpg, .gif or .png formats. The file name format of the submission is: event#_yourusername.extension (Ex: event1_pollux.png). The file must be attached to your email.

All final entries must be 800x600 pixels with at least 70 pixels of white space at the bottom of the image. This means that your presentation has to fit in a 800x530 pixels window (800 pixels wide by 530 pixels high). I will NOT re-size entries that are not properly done, so make sure it's right.

The background of the entries should be solid white, unless otherwise specified. You must not use gradients, shadows, patterns, lines, etc. on your background.

Do not include your name or any other personal identifiers on your submission. Also, do not watermark your work. I will add a watermark to each entry before they get posted for judging. I will also provide each entry with a number. You are expected to keep the identity of your entry anonymous until the end of the event. If you think you know the identity of another designer, keep it to yourself. Anyone who exposes the identity of themselves or anyone else will be DQ'd.

I will NOT contact you if your entry is wrong, therefore make sure that you comply to these guidelines before submitting your entry.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

For this event, you have to crossover any American Basketball Association (1968-1976) team to football. You have to create one colored uniform set, one helmet and a team crest. The crest must incorporate one of the team's marks.

By "helmet" I assume you mean American Football, by "crest" I assume you mean ROTW Football. You mean "crest" as in "primary logo" for an American Football franchise?

Maybe that's a stupid question, but better to ask than to be DQ'd because I designed a logo not a "crest," or something.

Grunge-Logos.png

For this event, you have to crossover any American Basketball Association (1968-1976) team to football. You have to create one colored uniform set, one helmet and a team crest. The crest must incorporate one of the team's marks.

By "helmet" I assume you mean American Football, by "crest" I assume you mean ROTW Football. You mean "crest" as in "primary logo" for an American Football franchise?

I meant American Football. I made the necessary corrections to the main post.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

So do we create just one uniform, or home/away/alternate uniforms as well?

Just one colored uniform as stated in the description.

Sorry to keep you busy pollux, another question: This statement: "The logo must incorporate one of the team's marks," are you saying that the primary logo we design must include one of the original ABA marks, or just that there needs to be consistency between the primary logo we design and some other logo on the football uniform (i.e. it has to use the word mark or helmet logo or something) and that everything can be brand new, as long as we retain the team's name?

Again, sorry to keep asking questions, but I know you aren't afraid to drop the DQ hammer, and I want to get it right.

Grunge-Logos.png

Sorry to keep you busy pollux, another question: This statement: "The logo must incorporate one of the team's marks," are you saying that the primary logo we design must include one of the original ABA marks, or just that there needs to be consistency between the primary logo we design and some other logo on the football uniform (i.e. it has to use the word mark or helmet logo or something) and that everything can be brand new, as long as we retain the team's name?

Again, sorry to keep asking questions, but I know you aren't afraid to drop the DQ hammer, and I want to get it right.

The logo must incorporate one of the original team's marks, so it has to include one of the original ABA marks, as you mentioned. That's one of the prerequisites for the Crossover event.

I have no issues with you asking questions, as everyone benefits from the answer.

The logo must incorporate one of the original team's marks, so it has to include one of the original ABA marks, as you mentioned. That's one of the prerequisites for the Crossover event.

I have no issues with you asking questions, as everyone benefits from the answer.

I want to take out the basketball from the logo of the team I'm using. Am I allowed to do that, since it's a football team we're doing? Also, can we just use the original logos, or do we have to make our own?

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I want to take out the basketball from the logo of the team I'm using. Am I allowed to do that, since it's a football team we're doing? Also, can we just use the original logos, or do we have to make our own?

Yeah man, similar question with some additions:

So let's say we're doing this team:

flint-tropics-jersey-shirt.jpg

By incorporating one of the team's marks, you mean we have to use the palm tree or the word mark somehow in the design. Right? Could we modernize it or tweak it to make it look football-related or more modern? That leads to my next question:

Is this supposed to be a contemporary design or a ABA-era design from the 60's-70's?

And finally, is this an NFL team, some other league, or just some no-name league of our choice?

Grunge-Logos.png

You can take out the basketball from the logo, but you must come up with your own design that uses part of the team's previous marks. It can be anything that references the old ABA team (for example, the star from the LA Stars or the hat from the Anaheim Amigos).

Yeah man, similar question with some additions:

So let's say we're doing this team:

<snip>

By incorporating one of the team's marks, you mean we have to use the palm tree or the word mark somehow in the design. Right? Could we modernize it or tweak it to make it look football-related or more modern? That leads to my next question:

Is this supposed to be a contemporary design or a ABA-era design from the 60's-70's?

And finally, is this an NFL team, some other league, or just some no-name league of our choice?

Yes, the palm tree or the word mark should somehow be included in your design. You can modernize it, but it has to be easily recognizable as an element from the old team.

You get to choose which era you want your crossover in. If you feel a 70's vibe for your design, go for it.

No determined league. Just American football, as previously mentioned. Don't add any fake league logo or anything else, as it's not the goal of the event.

Just a question, do we have to have labels on each of the elements?

Not for this event, as they are different enough to know what each one represents.

Not for this event, as they are different enough to know what each one represents.

Hey Pollux, I told you I was done asking Q's, but I've got one more. You said to use the original colors and to add only white. How about black or gray? A lot of these teams are only two-tone schemes.

Also, do you want us to color match exactly of can we go with slightly different shades as long as it more-or-less lines up? So for example:

Trops.png

The upper left is the original scheme, can I vary the colors like in each of the other versions? None of them are quite right, but they aren't a significant deviation from the overall scheme either.

Again, super nitpicky questions, but I know everyone wants to get it right. Thanks!

Grunge-Logos.png

Hey Pollux, I told you I was done asking Q's, but I've got one more. You said to use the original colors and to add only white. How about black or gray? A lot of these teams are only two-tone schemes.

Also, do you want us to color match exactly of can we go with slightly different shades as long as it more-or-less lines up? So for example:

Trops.png

The upper left is the original scheme, can I vary the colors like in each of the other versions? None of them are quite right, but they aren't a significant deviation from the overall scheme either.

Again, super nitpicky questions, but I know everyone wants to get it right. Thanks!

No black or gray. Work with the current color scheme.

Try to match the colors as best as you can. The changes you are showing are too different from the initial color palette.

I received a PM regarding the color scheme, to which I am answering here - I edited parts of the conversation to remove any hint of what is in the works, as it was very specific.

I feel like my logo for this concept needs another color, but per the rules, you said only the original colors. That means [two colors + white].

I want to throw some silver on the [logo]. It won't appear in the uniform, which will use the original colors only, it would only be used on the [logo] in the helmet and primary logo. I could make it work with just white, but I'd rather not. If you gotta drop the hammer, you gotta drop the hammer.

Again, you can only add white to the existing color scheme. Think of it this way: a client approaches you but gives you a clear cut color scheme. Would you add a color if it meant you lost the contract? It is one of the few hard requirements for the crossover event. I will drop the hammer if it's not respected.

As a side note, it's only Tuesday night. You still have five days to come up with something that uses the colors as they were intended to. If that means you need to rework it, or go completely sideways to participate, then do so! I deliberately cut the number of events down to have more participants, and to allow them to work on their design before submitting it. Use that time to make sure you fit all the requirements.

Another PM received:

I'm trying to figure out what the color scheme for the team I'm using is. On the mothership the logo has [edited], but I've searched up logos on Google, and have found ones with [other hues] too. Which scheme should I use? The one on the mothership, or Google.

The boards are hosted by sportslogos.net. The easy answer is use the color scheme available on the mothership. It's what I will check to accept / reject entries.

Folks are aware that the Flint Tropics never existed and were invented for the movie, right?

Haha. Yeah man. I did that so I wouldn't use a real logo and tip my hand/give other people ideas. This is a contest after all.

Although I wish they were real, they've got the best look out of the whole league.

Grunge-Logos.png

Archived