question

AAO

i did a wizards concept in macromedia freehand including all logos, home, alternate, and away uniform, and court design. I saved them as gif files and there sizes are near 100k or so, and my site becomes 8.90 mb of 20 mb used from 8.19 mb, barely any change. This is good, but when you go to my site the 5 images load up as x x x x x. I dont know why...what should i do?

heres the link to my site if you wanna see:

my site

Make sure the format is actually listed as GIF. I've seen cases where the .gif extension gets put on a file that isn't really a GIF image.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

gifs and pdf's are better for line art, however, you can still maintain a good level of quality using the smaller jpg files. The biggest thing is set the dpi to 72 for web. That's pretty much all most compter screens can handle so there's no point using a higher dpi.

Just a suggestion, how about you create links to the individual images on your site.

Thats some serious downloading every time someone visits your main page. I feel bad for anyone with a 56k.

case sensitive? Maybe you need to chekc the file names.

I thought that at first as well, but if you check the properties of the red X, then copy and paste the URL referenced there, you don't get an HTTP 404 (not found) error, but rather a red X. That usually means that the graphic file is there, but there's a problem with it.

POTD 2013-08-22

case sensitive? Maybe you need to chekc the file names.

I thought that at first as well, but if you check the properties of the red X, then copy and paste the URL referenced there, you don't get an HTTP 404 (not found) error, but rather a red X. That usually means that the graphic file is there, but there's a problem with it.

Good catch...

Try the export process again, and make sure you are PICKING gif rather than just typing it as an extension

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

ok well thanks but im at home right now and my concepts are at school so tomorrow ill try loading them up again...but yes they are official .gif files, not just the extension, i checked.

Udonkey: i dont know how to make links on angelfire...and i have 56k at home my page loads up in like 30-45 seconds. im thinking maybe its the fact that i used macromedia freehand and thats messing up the files from loading?? i dont know

also, if you right click on the red x's and click properties, you'll see that the file size says -1 bytes???? i dont think thats right, and also, the pixel size is reallly small. Then, go to any other concept on the page, i.e. the Jazz concept, and the file size is a lottt bigger and so is the pixel size. whats going on???

The bogus file size means there's something wrong with the file. I'm guessing your HTML doesn't have the height and width attributes set for the img tag, so it doesn't reserve the space for the image until it's actually able to load it.

Posting a link in the forum has nothing to do with what's actually on your page. What people mean by linking directly to your picture is to put the actual URL of the image file itself in your post, instead of the URL to your page.

So, instead of using this URL, which is the URL for the page:

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/logoandunifrmconcpts/

You'd use the direct URL for the image, for example:

http ://www.angelfire.com/va3/logoandunifrmconcpts/images/grizzliesconcept.gif (without the space after "http," of course; I had to add that because the board kept shortening the URL when I wanted the whole thing to display)

Does that make sense?

POTD 2013-08-22

Archived