Sixers/Flyers Concept Arena

South of South Street

The real issue with this location is that it requires redevelopment of the waterfront and the addition of parking garages. The South Philly sports complex is interesting in that ti is convienient for its visitors but does nothing for bussinesses in center city which is 3 miles away. I really believe that a waterfront arena can activate its area better than wells fargo/xfinity live does for itself.

The walking area around looks skewed because of the scale of the existing biuldings openings. The existing buildings looks like a two story biulding but that facade is nearly 50' tall, to put it in perspective.

That being said I very much appreciate your nice comments.

Reflecting after a couple of days....What I like about this concept is that it's distinctive. You know where you are when you see it. It's like Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, to mention a modern example (no, I'm not going to call it by its current name). The adaptive reuse of the two warehouses is reminiscent of Camden Yards, which (to my knowledge) hasn't yet been done in an arena context.

South of South Street, could the building be modified so that it didn't have a green hump-like roof? I'm sort of curious what it would look like if it had a more arcing roof, like that of the old Municipal Auditorium below. Might be a nice tip of the cap to the old Warriors and 76ers days.

convention01.jpg

The exterior is amazing and I love the location. My only negative feedback would be I think the concourses should be more open, especially for a new age stadium/arena. Like most new baseball stadiums, i think you should be able to see the field/court/ice from the concourses.

Good point on being able to see to the court. Ill work it into my next concept.

Archived