Sixers/Flyers Concept Arena

South of South Street

This is a concept arena to replace the Wells Fargo Center. It is located at the south end of the Penns Landing area of the Delaware River Waterfront. The arena is built in between two exisitng pier buildings that are currently warehouses and self storage. It sits near and I95 exit and directly on Columbus Blvd. (a major North South Corridor). Parking garages would need to be built nearby but it is on the line of a proposed Delaware Ave light rail line that would connect it to the subway and regional rail.

The design idea is a 3 story glass enclosure around a the seating area. Concourses would all look over into this area. This is fit in between the four major facades of the existing buildings with the current warehouse areas removed. On the north side there is a large covered public porch. The seating bowl ceiling rises up and gives the roofscape a convex shape that is covered in grass and becomes a public sun park. The Interior of the seating bowl has exposed structure and a wood ceiling.

South of South Street.

http://i1078.photobu...zpse8a20ae4.jpg

http://i1078.photobu...zpsdf6d9e01.jpg

http://i1078.photobu...zps47295ce2.jpg

http://i1078.photobu...zps7cf82c8f.jpg

http://i1078.photobu...zps4bea316a.jpg

http://i1078.photobu...zps1c43ae81.jpg

http://i1078.photobu...zpsaf69da0d.jpg

http://i1078.photobu...stingAerial.jpg

I LOVE this! I can't say much except that I really like the wide concourse, the wooden roof and the red-and-blue seats. The exterior is quite nice, too. Love the way you've incorporated the existing buildings into the design.

Just curious, but what program(s) do you use to design these? I've always wanted to put draw up some of the stadium designs in my head.

I really like it and I know the exact area you are talking about, but I think any Sixers/Flyers arena should be on Broad Street. The Broad Street Bullies wouldn't want any "hippie grass" on the roof the building no matter how environmentally friendly or cool looking it is.

I really do like the overall design of the arena and I applaud your beautiful workmanship, but I don't think this kind of stadium works in Philadelphia.

Wow! My one complaint is the fact that the interior is a little bland. Spice it up a bit and I would do anything to visit it. The exterior is amazing though. Also I would like to know what program you use because I make stadium concepts myself but use SketchUp.

mcbqza.jpg

I really like it and I know the exact area you are talking about, but I think any Sixers/Flyers arena should be on Broad Street. The Broad Street Bullies wouldn't want any "hippie grass" on the roof the building no matter how environmentally friendly or cool looking it is.

I really do like the overall design of the arena and I applaud your beautiful workmanship, but I don't think this kind of stadium works in Philadelphia.

Your execution is fantastic, but the exterior perspective seems off compared to the interior views.

From what I've seen, an arena is about 10-12 stories tall, usually to accommodate all the luxury boxes, electronics, banners, and structural supports.

This building only looks to be about 4 or 5 stories tall, which may put it around 6,000/7,000 for capacity. And it doesn't seem from your description that the interior sinks down below street level, especially for a building set along the waterfront.

Could you add a picture of the current arena as reference so we could see how the size of your building compares to the current Wells Fargo Center?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I LOVE this! I can't say much except that I really like the wide concourse, the wooden roof and the red-and-blue seats. The exterior is quite nice, too. Love the way you've incorporated the existing buildings into the design.

Just curious, but what program(s) do you use to design these? I've always wanted to put draw up some of the stadium designs in my head.

Wow! My one complaint is the fact that the interior is a little bland. Spice it up a bit and I would do anything to visit it. The exterior is amazing though. Also I would like to know what program you use because I make stadium concepts myself but use SketchUp.

The exterior is the best part, maybe you could make the actual arena more interesting by adding some sections to cut up the flatness, and maybe have some glass skylights ontop of the roof to let in natural light into the arena. Otherwise, this is amazing, a great improvement indeed over the Wells Fargo Center, and much better than many NHL/NBA arenas existing now...thank you for these concepts.

spacer.png

The exterior is the best part, maybe you could make the actual arena more interesting by adding some sections to cut up the flatness, and maybe have some glass skylights ontop of the roof to let in natural light into the arena. Otherwise, this is amazing, a great improvement indeed over the Wells Fargo Center, and much better than many NHL/NBA arenas existing now...thank you for these concepts.

Thank you. I really appreciate it.

I use Autocad, Autodesk Max, and photoshop. Keep in mind that I am an architect and have been working with those progams for quite awhile. And they are very expensive! FYI

I use Autocad, Autodesk Max, and photoshop. Keep in mind that I am an architect and have been working with those progams for quite awhile. And they are very expensive! FYI

I actually have Autocad and am really good with the program. Thanks for your reply.

mcbqza.jpg

This really is a great looking concept. You put a lot of thought and work into it and trying to fit it into the surrounding area. I would LOVE a new stadium for the 76ers/Flyers, because the CoreStates Center First Union Center Wachovia Center Wells Fargo Center is quite bland in my opinion. Not to mention the accoustics blow. That being said, I don't think this location would work because I'm certain Comcast wouldn't let it. With them opening up Xfinity Live! and the proposed hotel on site, I feel there is no way they would ever let a sporting venue leave this area. This area also works very well for those people traveling from NJ to see the games. The only problem I have with your design for the new building is that there doesn't seem to be enough area around the perimiter of the building for foot traffic. The 20,000 + people that come to the venue need a place to walk, and it just doesn't seem to me your design proposal has enough space for foot traffic. Regardless of my critiques, though, I think this is an excellent job. Kudos!

This really is a great looking concept. You put a lot of thought and work into it and trying to fit it into the surrounding area. I would LOVE a new stadium for the 76ers/Flyers, because the CoreStates Center First Union Center Wachovia Center Wells Fargo Center is quite bland in my opinion. Not to mention the accoustics blow. That being said, I don't think this location would work because I'm certain Comcast wouldn't let it. With them opening up Xfinity Live! and the proposed hotel on site, I feel there is no way they would ever let a sporting venue leave this area. This area also works very well for those people traveling from NJ to see the games. The only problem I have with your design for the new building is that there doesn't seem to be enough area around the perimiter of the building for foot traffic. The 20,000 + people that come to the venue need a place to walk, and it just doesn't seem to me your design proposal has enough space for foot traffic. Regardless of my critiques, though, I think this is an excellent job. Kudos!

Archived