Intercontinental Soccer League

WNDUP FX

Inspired by Raysox's yakball thread, the MLS rebranding thread and as a temporary distraction from my own Can/Am hockey rebrand (http://boards.sports...k-city-empires/), I decided to start a side project for a 5 region indoor soccer league.

The basic breakdown is 10 teams in 5 leagues, with the top two teams at the end of the season in each region playing against each other and the winners moving on to a FIFA World Federation style championship tournament where the winner will be declared Intercontinental Champion.

I'm hoping Raysox won't mind that most of the cities will be similar to those he has chosen, based mostly on metro population, but I will do my best to use different colour schemes and sponsors to separate my project from his.

That said, my league is a lot smaller and will include the regions of North America (US/Canada), Scotland/England, Spain/Portugal, Germany and France.

Starting off in North America, the cities are as follows:

- Brooklyn Lions

- Los Angeles

- Windy City Regiment (Chicago)

- Toronto

- Vancouver

- Montréal

- Locomotive SC (Dallas)

- Calgary Athletic

- Ottawa

- Philadelphia

Team name ideas are welcome, so feel free to make suggestions. I would prefer that names tied into the cities either derived from landmarks or historical events and would rather avoid naming clubs FC, as in Toronto FC.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- New York International FC or Brooklyn Lions (for the dutch history)

- Los Angeles Tigers (for lack of a better idea)

- Chicago North-Side(or South-Side, depending on where you want it) FC, maybe you could have two teams in Chi-town, one for the North-side and South-side

- Toronto City FC, Toronto Metropolitan FC

- Vancouver Terminus FC

- Montreal 76 FC (for the 76 Olympics) or Olympique Montreal (also for the Olympics)

- Dallas 56 (if you decide not to go for Montreal 76) or Dallas Rangers

- Ottawa Nationals

Couldn't come up with anything for Calgary or Philly, sorry.

spacer.png

WNDUP FX: Hey simply added FC to the end of the team name. It's a common place in football. Example: Seattle Sounders. The full name is Seattle Sounders FC. He didn't do what you're implying in your suggestion at the top. If he did, he would of put the city and added FC.

Senior Creative at Sporting Kansas City. Follow me on Twitter: @NateTheDesigner 

New York City United

Los Angeles Wanderers

Chicago Lakers

Toronto Celtic

Vancouver 86ers (Expo 86 and nod to old 86ers)

Montréal Fleur de Lys

Dallas Rangers (credit to WarriorFight)

Calgary Wild Rose (Alberta's official flower)

Ottawa Confederation

Philadelphia Liberty

New York City Emperors

Los Angeles Stars

Chicago Expos

Toronto Towers

Vancouver Orcas (in honour of the seafaring First Nations groups)

Montréal Voyageurs

Dallas Locomotive (the railroad turned Dallas into a boom town)

Calgary Roughnecks

Ottawa Lumberjacks

Philadelphia Glory (off of "Old Glory")

rATMcmK.png

Inter NYC

FC Los Angeles

Chicago United

Toronto Boars (a nod to Toronto's nickname of "Hogtown")

Vancouver Britons (a nod to Vancouver's founding by an English Navy officer)

Montreal Quebecois (a nod to one of the original six NLL teams)

Dallas Wranglers

Calgary Pronghorns (animal native to Alberta)

Ottawa Loggers (a nod to Ottawa's history as a major part of Canada's lumber trade)

Philadelphia Quakers (a nod to Pennsylvania's Quaker history)

sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

The first club to be introduced is the Brooklyn Lions (thanks WarriorFight). The more I dug into the history of Brooklyn, the more I realized that this was a perfect name for this team. Paying homage to this city's heritage made perfect sense.

The logo features a classic Dutch lion inside a gold and white barred shield with the motto of Brooklyn Eendraght Maeckt Maght (Unity Makes Strength) in early Dutch language, which is also featured on the city seal.

The Brooklyn Lions will start the 2013-14 season sharing the Barclay Center with the Brooklyn Nets and will be sponsored by local e-commerce website Etsy.

Brooklyn.png

Brooklynhome.png

I've just finished the first version of the home, away and clash kits for Brooklyn, featuring an off white, navy and dark grey top and shorts combination with vertical navy and gold lines running down the left side of the shirt and a sublimated light to dark grey gradient on the front and back. The numbers on the back of the jersey and shorts feature 3 dividing lines, common with the Adidas numbering system.

Great home kit, not sure about the grey in the clash kit though. Given the crest, it seems like a white and gold striped jersey would be a given?

Speaking of the crest, the little sliver of gold stripe on the left bothers me. There's too much white space. Can you do something about the spacing of the stripes to even everything out?

Great first concept overall though. Looking forward to seeing more.

Agreed, it's been bugging me too actually. An easy fix would be thicker lines or thin navy lines in the spaces between. It was originally a crest similar to Middlesborough FC, with white behind the lion, but I figured using navy and gold (Brooklyn's colours) vertical stripes would distance it from that.

I have plans to make the away kit navy with gold accents. The clash kit is more of a third jersey.

Taking inspiration from the glory days of Liverpool FC, the Calgary Athletic are a powerhouse to be reckoned with in the West.

The team crest features a modified version of the cities coat of arms and a brick red, maroon and yellow colour scheme. All three kits feature a spiral dot pattern, with the away version featuring a two tone light red and dark red overlay.

This seasons sponsor has been chosen as budget airline Westjet, which makes it's home in the wild rose country of Calgary, Alberta.

Calgary.png

Are you planning to have all home kits be primarily white, and coloured away? Or is it just a coincidence that the first two concepts have white home kits? Love the Calgary crest. I'm working on a concept that also uses Westjet as the shirt sponsor for Calgary.

Updated Calgary with socks.

No, I didn't plan to have all home kits white, in fact I wanted to do a yellow kit to further pay tribute to Liverpool, but it just didn't look right. And if we're being honest, the first home kit is more of a light grey. But I hear what you're saying. ;)

Edit: I played around with my earlier yellow home kit and lightened it a little. I'm starting to think it works a bit better than the white.

Calgary1.png

Calgaryhome.png

Archived