Illinois Student Submission Contest

joechicago

Can the keep the headdress but just put a capital "I" in the middle of it? Most of the problems with Native American imagery in mascots deals with depictions of faces or bodies...if you remove the head and make it a letter instead, you keep the iconography and tie it directly to Illinois. This way, it's similar to what is done in Utah, and I haven't really heard any outrage over that logo.

Plus, it would still be symmetrical, and be perfect as a helmet logo as well.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Can the keep the headdress but just put a capital "I" in the middle of it? Most of the problems with Native American imagery in mascots deals with depictions of faces or bodies...if you remove the head and make it a letter instead, you keep the iconography and tie it directly to Illinois. This way, it's similar to what is done in Utah, and I haven't really heard any outrage over that logo.

There was enough outrage over the drum aspect of Utah's logo that it had to be officially renamed to "Circle and Feathers"

Frankly, I expect Utah will soon be in a similar position as Illinois.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

I actually really like the idea behind the the WWI themed stuff.

Me too. I actually really like the thought of them creating a soldier logo -- not necessarily the ones submitted in this contest. I'm thinking something a little more simplistic, abstract. How many teams do you know of who have soldier logos/mascots? That would be both cool and honorable.

I actually really like the idea behind the the WWI themed stuff.

Me too. I actually really like the thought of them creating a soldier logo -- not necessarily the ones submitted in this contest. I'm thinking something a little more simplistic, abstract. How many teams do you know of who have soldier logos/mascots? That would be both cool and honorable.

Agreed, but it would probably provoke outrage by the gun control/anti-war crowd and be nixed early on.

I just voted. An easy "No change" vote, but it was interesting to see all the submissions. Judging from what I've seen from people on Facebook, just hearing what people are saying, and and educated guess, I think that "No change" will easily be the winner when voting closes.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I've always said that the Illini should be able to use the awesome Chief Illiniwek logo, but not the costume and dance number. It strikes me as a reasonable compromise, but the NCAA isn't reasonable. I guess I like the idea of the headdress with an I, but I guess the headdress is probably against the rules, huh. I don't know; caring about the University of Illinois is one of those things that people around me do but it's just something I never grew up with and so I can't start now. I feel the same way about watching A Christmas Story.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think something simple like this could work...

CHIEFI_zpsbf1b013e.jpg

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

Archived