European Football Clubs Playing American Sports

JCRGraphix

I'm currently working pretty hard on my NHL redesign which can be seen here, but I'm having some pretty hardcore creative block, so I decided I'd do something a little different. I decided I would take some of the European Football Clubs and imagine if they played North American sports (American Football, Basketball, and Ice Hockey). I left baseball out because I'm currently working on a new realistic baseball template similar to my hockey one, and it's not quite done yet.

Anyways, I started with Manchester United. I took elements from their kits and applied them to each of the uniforms. Also, since their nickname is the Red Devils, I also took some inspiration from other Devils teams. You can see that influence in the shoulder yoke on the hockey uniforms and the pitchfork logo on the football helmet.

Here are their kits (uniforms) for reference:

Manchester+United.jpg

C/C?

manchesterunited_zps5758092f.png

Promising thread as long as you don't go down the road of just putting the teams colours on the uniform then the club logo someone and calling it done.

Early to mid 90's I believe. You really haven't watched basketball in that long?

I haven't been following basketball very closely in a while. I guess I wasn't paying attention. Sorry.

Up next is Bayern München (Munich to everybody outside of Germany). This actually includes the first baseball concepts I've ever done in my life, so I only had a rough idea as to what I was doing. The hockey uniforms are obviously based on the Montreal Candadiens jerseys, with some minor adjustments to the striping. The flag and coat of arms of Bavaria (Bayern) are on the shoulders. The football uniforms use the Bavarian flag quite heavily, and are loosely based on the Houston Oilers who had a similar color scheme. C/C?

fcbayernmunchen_zpsd453fc6a.png

I would have liked to have seem some crest modification, although the word mark on the Baseball unis is a good start. A lot of European football clubs who have other sports divisions quite often have modified logos, check out the CSKA Moscow and Panathinaikos basketball logos, Slavia Prague and Slovan Bratislava hockey logos. Obviously some do remain the same like Barcelona but it'd be nice to see some more unique work.

I would have liked to have seem some crest modification, although the word mark on the Baseball unis is a good start. A lot of European football clubs who have other sports divisions quite often have modified logos, check out the CSKA Moscow and Panathinaikos basketball logos, Slavia Prague and Slovan Bratislava hockey logos. Obviously some do remain the same like Barcelona but it'd be nice to see some more unique work.

Good info, I'll do that on the next one!

Up next is Internazionale. Since I don't know much about European soccer, I'll let wikipedia explain! Football Club Internazionale Milano S.p.A., commonly referred to as Internazionale or simply Inter, and colloquially known as Inter Milan outside of Italy, is a professional Italian football club based in Milan, Lombardy. They have spent their entire history in the top flight First Division (known as Serie A since 1929). Internazionale have won 30 domestic trophies, including the league 18 times, the Coppa Italia seven times and the Supercoppa Italiana five times. Their nickname is Il Biscione which is Italian for the Vipers or Grass Snakes.

For their Hockey uniforms, I used the Washington Capitals uniforms of the late 1990s as a template since they have a similar color scheme. The logo is a cleaned up version of this one from shutterstock. The original Internazionale logo is used as a shoulder logo. For the baseball ones, I decided to use the original logo with pinstripes to give a traditional look. For the basketball ones, I fixed up this logo and set it on a recolored basketball for a traditional looking basketball logo. The jerseys are based on the Washington Wizards. Finally, for the football jerseys, I wanted to do something different altogether. I dropped the blue and used the gold as a primary color. The logo is the monogram from the original logo. C/C?

internazionale_zps83d4d58e.png

The gridiron unis need blue. It's not Inter without it. Another theme that seems to be missing altogether is a black/blue stripe pattern, which is the trademark of Inter Milan. They're not called the Nerazzuri for nothing.

I thought about this, and designed a third jersey for the hockey and baseball teams. Also, I decided to show all of the uniforms full size (in a spoiler) for better detail.

Hockey

Home

hockeyhome_zps7cb06661.png

Away

hockeyaway_zps2d3efb18.png

Third

hockey3rd_zps45b5eb33.png

Baseball

Home

baseballhome_zpsea6f813a.png

Away

baseballaway_zpsa7bb7644.png

Third

baseballthird_zpsb24126c7.png

Basketball

Home

basketballhome_zps78746172.png

Away

basketballaway_zps2b3aa7e9.png

Football

Home

footballhome_zps9b8dabea.png

Away

footballaway_zps1879f23b.png

That's more like it. I especially like the third you made for the hockey team. The football set is still missing blue, though.

This reminds me of something I did about a year ago: Basically a what-if deal with CD Guadalajara starting a baseball team and then joining MLB.

Archived