Fixing Nebraska's Alternates

pianoknight

Last year, Nebraska unveiled alternate uniforms against Wisconsin. Initially, the fan base reacted negatively since Nebraska has always clung to a traditional look, but eventually most warmed to the idea of an alternate uniform once a season as a way to attract recruits.

Below is what the team actually wore:

5013383f2ab78.image.jpg

One of the biggest gripes was BFBS, but personally I enjoyed seeing the black lids and even the black stripes. But what I did not enjoy was that black was added essentially at the expense of white. Nebraska has used a red/white combination for over a century and aside from a key line around the numbers and player name, this uniform is devoid of white completely.

Below is my attempt at a concept that addresses this problem. I've kept the black numbers with white key lines, but swapped the giant "Chest N" and front number to resemble a more traditional jersey look.

I kept the black lid, but added a consistent stripe pattern that goes across sleeves and pants as well. As a "concept," this is nothing earth-shattering but it hopefully is a look that Nebraska could rock without upsetting too much of the fan base.

Thoughts?

nebraska_zps72e8f7fb.png

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Can we please establish the BFBS only applies to teams who don't have black already in their color pallet. When a team is nicknamed the Blackshirts, it can no longer qualify as BFBS. Now if Michigan all of a sudden started wearing black uniforms or black helmets, then its BFBS... but seriously... cut it out with these buzz words/phrases.

As for the concept... its ok. The original look may not be the greatest, but at least it kept within the same box as the normal uniforms. This is kinda just... there.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Can we please establish the BFBS only applies to teams who don't have black already in their color pallet. When a team is nicknamed the Blackshirts, it can no longer qualify as BFBS. Now if Michigan all of a sudden started wearing black uniforms or black helmets, then its BFBS... but seriously... cut it out with these buzz words/phrases.

As for the concept... its ok. The original look may not be the greatest, but at least it kept within the same box as the normal uniforms. This is kinda just... there.

Pianoknight and I have gone around on this. But the "team" is NOT nicknamed the Blackshirts. That's a term reserved for the defense, and more specifically, only the starters (traditionally) were awarded black jerseys to wear in practice. So, it is BFBS for a lot of NU fans, including myself. Black is NOT a part of NU's official colors, that would be scarlet and cream.

So, with that being said, I am not a fan of this concept. I'm sure pianoknight just fell out of his chair on that one.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

Pianoknight and I have gone around on this. But the "team" is NOT nicknamed the Blackshirts. That's a term reserved for the defense, and more specifically, only the starters (traditionally) were awarded black jerseys to wear in practice. So, it is BFBS for a lot of NU fans, including myself. Black is NOT a part of NU's official colors, that would be scarlet and cream.

So, with that being said, I am not a fan of this concept. I'm sure pianoknight just fell out of his chair on that one.

And that's fair - because I know you weren't a giant fan of the alternates last year. This was more intended as a "hotfix" since those uniforms removed nearly all traces of white. I have some ideas for a completely new alternate set as well, but haven't gotten around to posting them yet.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

my concern with this concepts is the same with the adidas one. theres not enough contrast between the primary elements for anything to read well. the hierarchy of color is off on both and what jumps out and catches your eye is trim pieces (white).

i suggest making the N on the helmet white and the numbers white. with black borders if you must.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived