The Pen Tool

strykethr33

I have to honestly say I am afraid of the pen tool. I've been experimenting with it for a while and just have no idea how to work it properly. So, instead I rely on using the lasso tool and just making raster logos. Anyone want to give a mini-tut on the pen tool?

Much appreciated,

Chris

I dunno, Joel.. i thought you liked the pencil....

:P

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I'm in the process of reacquanting myself with Illustrator and the dreaded pen tool as part of my new job...I picked it up easy the first time, but it's not coming as fast this time around.

What I've been doing is using the pencil tool to get the basic shape, then cleaning it up afterwards with the pen tool.

I have done the exact same thing, waffles..

now, however, I use the pen tool, with no fill, 1 pix black border, and i make sure to drag every point.. then I go back with the Convert Anchor POint tool, and fix the ones that didnt work.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

learn the keyboard shortcuts to help speed up your pen time. i'll see if i can find some of the more used ones. try to build accurately as you go so you won't have to go back and clean up. it's all about "seat time" and just doing it.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

believe it or not I'd be more lost using the pencil tool than the pen tool. its like its part of me now. Kind weird too, I picked it up really easily coming over from paint. Not bragging, just glad there wasn't much of a learning curve....

Its an amazing tool and all it takes is practice. One thing that helps to practice is render existing logos to get your skills up. Just put a logo on one layer, lock it, then "trace" (I know..dreaded word but you are practicing so its ok) and you'll be a master in no time! Pictures also work too. That's how I learned at least...

I haven't gotten acquainted myself with Illustrator. After using Paint and CAD systems for so long, I have been reluctant to use Illustrator. I have not had the time to acquaint myself with it. I only used Illustrator during the Logoympiad "Buffalo Blaze" wordmark event.

I tried CorelDraw many years ago and I liked it.

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived