Sports Philosophy Question - The Dynasty

Alex Houston

This depends on your situation as a fan.

My answer is Yes. I would take the deal in a heartbeat. My teams haven't advanced past the first round of any playoffs since 1995. I wouldn't think twice.

I have a friend though who is a Steelers, Penguins, and a Red Sox fan. (He's incredibly annoying when it comes to sports). He's 27 and when I asked him the same question he said no. For him winning a championship is not the great white whale that it is for a lot of sports fans. It's happened for him multiple times and with relative ease. Watching his teams win championships isn't all that special an occasion, it's just something that happens every few years.

I'm just hoping for one from each of my three teams in the time I have left.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't think I'd do it. I honestly can't see myself holding on to a past dynasty in spite of the fact that currently, they're pathetic. Sounds like the Dallas Cowboys to me.

You'd think that as a fan of teams like the San Jose Sharks and Miami Dolphins, I'd be all for the deal, but I dunno. I look at my other favorite NFL team, the Baltimore Ravens. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't care one bit about the fact that they won a Super Bowl last season if they suck for the next 10. Knowing that they used to be good would actually make things worse.

I guess I'm a different type of fan than most, even when I played basketball I was more of the "Yay, we won. Big deal. Now let's do it again" type.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

We've won bugger all in 109 years. I wouldn't turn my nose up at any trophy!

Which team is that?

Hull City. No major silverware to speak of whatsoever!

I think the Premiere League is probably the most enticing sports system to consider a trade-off like this. I mean, unless you're a fan of the Big Four and now Man City, when would your team realistically ever win another trophy? I mean, the odds are astronomically against you. :censored:, I just started following Everton as my EPL team and I could see it get frustrating after a while, constantly finishing in the Top 10, but having little to show for it. For the Man U fans, I think they could live with the gamble, but for some fans of teams like Newcastle or Aston Villa, I don't see how they wouldn't take it.

It's also kind of interesting to see how some responders have factored age into it, which never dawned on me. I suppose the seniors would much prefer to have their cake now, where as the college crowd could stand to wait.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

This depends on your situation as a fan.

My answer is Yes. I would take the deal in a heartbeat. My teams haven't advanced past the first round of any playoffs since 1995. I wouldn't think twice.

I have a friend though who is a Steelers, Penguins, and a Red Sox fan. (He's incredibly annoying when it comes to sports). He's 27 and when I asked him the same question he said no. For him winning a championship is not the great white whale that it is for a lot of sports fans. It's happened for him multiple times and with relative ease. Watching his teams win championships isn't all that special an occasion, it's just something that happens every few years.

I'm just hoping for one from each of my three teams in the time I have left.

I don't know how to function without that drive. I mean, why even pay attention if the ultimate goal doesn't suck you in? Just to keep rubbing it in the face of other fanbases? The Red Sox in there makes me think it was a choice too, since the others are from Pittsburgh.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

I think the Premiere League is probably the most enticing sports system to consider a trade-off like this. I mean, unless you're a fan of the Big Four and now Man City, when would your team realistically ever win another trophy? I mean, the odds are astronomically against you.

Well, except for the FA Cup, which any Premiership club can have a chance at winning. While the competition is admittedly dominated by the big clubs, I can think of two winners in the past five or so years (Wigan Athletic and Portsmouth) who are very much among the have-nots. That's not even counting those have-nots who have made it to the Final, including your own Toffees four years ago.

Yeah, we lived on the Packers' glory days for a long time. If you told me the Brewers would win three or four and we'd have to live off those for a couple decades after, I'd make that trade instantly.

I tend to agree. While one could argue that it's nice to have a team that keeps your interest every year (see 2001-2010 Twins), it's the championships that keep memories (see 1987 and 1991 Twins). I'll remember he 1991 Twins much longer than the more recent 2000s. Yeah, it sucks when your team is pretty much out of it on opening day, but ultimately, I want to celebrate.

As a Vikings fan, I would take just 1. The Vikings have been among the most competitive teams (I think 2nd most playoff appearance to Dallas since the merger), but having no Super Bowl wins (and no appearances in my memory) is a damper. I'd take one right now in exchange for 15 years of futility.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I think the Premiere League is probably the most enticing sports system to consider a trade-off like this. I mean, unless you're a fan of the Big Four and now Man City, when would your team realistically ever win another trophy? I mean, the odds are astronomically against you.

Well, except for the FA Cup, which any Premiership club can have a chance at winning. While the competition is admittedly dominated by the big clubs, I can think of two winners in the past five or so years (Wigan Athletic and Portsmouth) who are very much among the have-nots. That's not even counting those have-nots who have made it to the Final, including your own Toffees four years ago.

There's the League Cup as well, won by Swansea last season - the other finalist being Bradford City, then of League Two. It's also been won by Birmingham and Middlesbrough in the last ten years or so, so those down the pecking order do have a bit of a chance of winning it.

One of those trophies would be our only realistic shot at major silverware, should the club ever actually be arsed to take the cups seriously - winning the League isn't an option.

True, though that's the thing I get confused with regarding English soccer. With so many secondary tournaments for clubs, it makes me wonder European fans consider to be the top champion their particular teams can grasp.

Archived