Black For Black's Sake LSU Jersey

Bellzibub

Ladies and gentlemen, I present you LSU's first blackout jersey:

lAg7SdG.jpg

Nicknamed the "Black Cat" (couldn't think of a name which included EAUX); This is the Bayou Bengal's first non purple or white top since the 90's in which they were forced to wear gold in a game against Arkansas, their first yellow facemask, and their darkest pair of pants in school history.The reason its dark grey and not a true black is because of my limited editing skills. I felt like I stayed true to the color scheme and created the exact opposite of the white home jersey. The hardest part of creating this was placing the shoulder stripes since the template didnt come with any. Comments & criticism welcome.

lAg7SdG.jpg

Nicknamed the "Black Cat" (couldn't think of a name which included EAUX); This is the Bayou Bengal's first non purple or white top since the 90's in which they were forced to wear gold in a game against Arkansas, their first yellow facemask, and their darkest pair of pants in school history.The reason its dark grey and not a true black is because of my limited editing skills. I felt like I stayed true to the color scheme and created the exact opposite of the white home jersey. The hardest part of creating this was placing the shoulder stripes since the template didnt come with any. Comments & criticism welcome.

Not a fan. Sorry.

Also, I don't believe LSU ever wore gold against Arkansas. They wore gold against Vanderbilt at home in 1996 because the Commodores refused to agree to LSU wearing white at home (this was the season after Gerry Dinardo left Vandy for LSU).

alanstansberry201.jpg

They wore gold jerseys again in the 1997 Independence Bowl against Notre Dame (with white helmets).

Independence972.jpg

And they wore gold jerseys again in 1998 versus Florida in Gainesville.

392980-oct-1998-quarterback-herb-tyler-o

I would also suggest using the "Geaux" font for the "LSU" on the helmet. And also, as you can see above, there IS a precedent for LSU not using the shoulder stripes on odd-colored jerseys. So they aren't a MUST. Although I agree that it's part of LSU's signature look.

gYH2mW9.png

Since I consider this modern for LSU. Why not add the modern LSU script on the helmet, instead of the arching LSU and hand drawn tiger.

I thought of doing that but its practically a cardinal sin

Go with either gold or white numbers. Also, why not make the pants black too? Purple pants just don't match with the rest of the uniform at all. Make the pants black with purple/gold/purple stripes.

The plan was to make the complete opposite of the home jersey, not a true all black jersey

lAg7SdG.jpg

Not a fan. Sorry.

Also, I don't believe LSU ever wore gold against Arkansas. They wore gold against Vanderbilt at home in 1996 because the Commodores refused to agree to LSU wearing white at home (this was the season after Gerry Dinardo left Vandy for LSU).

alanstansberry201.jpg

They wore gold jerseys again in the 1997 Independence Bowl against Notre Dame (with white helmets).

Independence972.jpg

And they wore gold jerseys again in 1998 versus Florida in Gainesville.

392980-oct-1998-quarterback-herb-tyler-o

I would also suggest using the "Geaux" font for the "LSU" on the helmet. And also, as you can see above, there IS a precedent for LSU not using the shoulder stripes on odd-colored jerseys. So they aren't a MUST. Although I agree that it's part of LSU's signature look.

Thanks for the history. I read about the gold jerseys a while ago and I kinda ad-libbed the info

The idea of LSU having a black-out jersey is fine, but the execution isn't quite there. As others have said, change the lettering to gold and you've got a decent start.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived