DIY Retro Chicago White Sox Cap

Patchez

Being frustrated that the Chicago White Sox, MLB Properties, New Era and the other licensed baseball cap manufacturers failed to produce the early 1970's Chicago White Sox caps with the correct logo, I took matters into my own hand...

Background first...

In 2012 the White Sox wore retro uniforms with caps that had a bastardized logo on it. The logo was probably taken from caps made by American Needle, which they still sell on their web site.

I have been looking to replace another incorrect version of this red cap I own which was made by Roman Pro. I purchased that fitted cap in the '70s.

So there was Roman Pro's version, American Needle's version (which looks worse!) and finally New Era's lousy version, which are now "authentic" on field product.

One more thing, New Era's version has a red button when all other versions had the original white button.

72WhiteSox.jpg

So, using Adobe Illustrator I recreated the original logo as best as I could based on photos of the '70's cap.

I digitized the logo in professional embroidery software and took the file to a shop who made up this cap for my collection of White Sox caps...

IMG_20140113_193936_139_zps15e6ec0f.jpg

I am extremely happy with the result. The only issue is they did not have a red cap with a white button and I could not find one online. I considered replacing the red button with a white one, but having trouble popping the red button off the cap, I choose to not risk ruining my new cap.

This is a fitted cap of high quality that I am happy with. Next I will get this same logo put on a blue cap, which proceeded this White Sox cap.

P.S. Lids will NOT custom embroider any logo they feel is licensed, I had to find an independent shop to do this for me.

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Archived