M L S relocation for 2005?

Brian in Boston

The Sports Business Journal is reporting that Major League Soccer will not only expand by two franchises prior to the 2005 season, but that two of the league's current teams will be relocated in time for next year.

The SBJ cites several "high-ranking soccer officials" in reporting that both the San Jose Earthquakes and Kansas City Wizards will be playing in new markets next year. I know that AEG (parent company of the 'Quakes) has been looking for a new stadium in San Jose or Santa Clara, California, as well as exploring the option of moving the club to San Antonio, Texas. However, given the fact that Lamar Hunt's deal with Arrowhead Stadium is reportedly very affordable, the reported Wizards' move takes me a bit by surprise. Still, it's not as though the Wizards have been attracting fans in droves. File this under "We Shall See".

As far as I'm concerned, the bigger question is what market will be joining the Los Angeles-based Chivas USA club (sharing Home Depot Center with the Los Angeles Galaxy is all but a done deal) as an expnasion site? Will it be Seattle or Salt Lake City?

Brian in Boston

anyone know if FIFA still has that rule against leagues having members from more than one country? if that rule's been trashed, then let's get Toronto! :D

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

anyone know if FIFA still has that rule against leagues having members from more than one country? if that rule's been trashed, then let's get Toronto! :D

If that rule applies, then Monaco would never be part of the French "Ligue 1" Perhaps saintsfan can confirm whether there are Welsh teams in any of the English leagues.

I saw, I came, I left.

i was thinking it no longer was around, cus i know of one English team that for convenience's sake, play in the Scottish league. so i figure it'd be okay for MLS to have a Toronto team.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Wiz er Wizards arn't going anywhere

I wouldn't say that your opinion is anything approaching an absolute fact, would you? After all...

"It would shock me (if the rumors were true). I would think I'd be in the loop if something like that were going on." Curt Johnson, Kansas City Wizards GM

So, Mr. Johnson doesn't say that it's not happening. In fact, he's simply admitting that if a choice on Wizards' relocation has been made, he's apparently been left out of the decision-making process. Also, even if he did know that the relocation were taking place, is he going to share that news - via the local media - with the current market's ticket-buying public? I mean, what would a confirmed "lame duck" status do to the attendance in Kansas City for the remainder of the season?

"What can be said is that every team can be evaluated. At the end of the season, each team's performance on and off the field will be evaluated. We'll be doing what it takes to make sure the league is viable." Simon Borg, MLS Director of Media Relations

Mr. Borg indicates that at the end of the season the Kansas City Wizards are subject to the same evaluation of on-and-off-field success as every other MLS franchise, with an eye towards determining what situations will make the league most viable. Again, there's no out-and-out denial that the Kansas City market could be found wanting at the end of the season. So, while the SportsBusiness Journal might be jumping the gun a bit, the Wizards could be relocating. Also, just as is Mr. Johnson's situation, it's highly unlikely that the top MLS media relations official is going to go "on the record" about the relocation of a franchise in the middle of the season, thus assuring a "lame duck" remainder to the rest of the Wizards' current campaign.

No matter how well we do, we are lost in that large stadium, and we have not been able to create a path to a soccer-specific stadium. We'll continue to work hard to make it work." Don Garber, MLS Commissioner

Well, while Commissioner Garber's last comment is admirable, what could we really expect him to say? Once again, do we expect that Major League Soccer's ranking official is going to go "on the record" about a franchise relocation for next year mid-way through the current season? Obviously not. However, he does concede that the league feels that playing in Arrowhead Stadium is not the optimal circumstance. In fact, he alludes to the fact that the league would like to see the Wizards in a soccer-specific facility... a facility that he admits Kansas City ownership and the league have not been able to make any headway towards getting built.

Bottom line? Rumors like this don't just show up in the pages of a periodical as highly-regarded as Street & Smith's SportsBusines Journal. To be sure, the comments were made off-the-record, but that doesn't mean that they didn't come from the high-ranking officials that they're attributed to, nor does it mean that they're not true. I believe the sources. I believe that as of right now, both the Earthquakes and Wizards are targeted for relocation. Granted, the Earthquakes are facing more severe problems, but I wouldn't rule out a Wizards move. Now, whether the reason for the leaking of the news is to generate a groundswell of fan support in the markets mentioned... that I don't know. Stranger things have happened.

As I said in my initial post, "We Shall See". I didn't say that the relocation of the franchises was a certainty, I was simply passing on the details of a story I had read. Then again, I'm not one to try and pass off my opinion as fact ... as some people out here seem determined to do.

Then again, what do I know? You may have been talking to the "Soccer Gods".

Brian in Boston

St. Louis is a good soccer city. I want a team.

We don't have a soccer specific stadium except for SLU which only seats 6.000 and can expand only to about twice that capacity (but would have to be done with private financing as all of SLU's sports construction money is going into the new b-ball arena). The A-B soccer complex in Fenton could probably support a small stadium, but I don't think it sits on enough land to support the parking that would be needed for an 18-30000 seat venue. So, much as I would love and support a local MLS team, I am not holding my breath.

If KC does move, I think the most realistic choice would be Oklahoma City. They have recently expanded UCO's football stadium in Edmond to MLS-comparable specs and have hosted two very successful exhibition games. It keeps the team in a midwestern market (relatively speaking) thus preserving the rivalry with Colorado, and it gives a market that's never had a major league team of any stripe its first such franchise, hopefully trading on its novelty.

As for San Jose, I think it would be a shame for one of the league's finest franchises to find a need to relocate but if it does, Toronto seems like a good choice.

People in Toronto go nuts when those international competitions (World Cup, Euro) come up. I see Portugese & Greek flags everywhere I go. Everyone around here talks about it. Heck, it's the only time I watch soccer really.

If MLS can harness that enthusiasm towards a team in Toronto, that could be huge.

I remember when I was little every kid played in a baseball & hockey league, me included (Only for baseball, I was AWFUL!). Nowa days, soccer has replaced baseball round here.

There is a huge soccer-loving fan base that's in the Toronto area, and I firmly believe that a Toronto team would do wonders. But... Toronto sports fans are generally bandwagon jumpers (come on, be honest guys), and you really got to be careful.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

anyone know if FIFA still has that rule against leagues having members from more than one country?  if that rule's been trashed, then let's get Toronto! :D

If that rule applies, then Monaco would never be part of the French "Ligue 1" Perhaps saintsfan can confirm whether there are Welsh teams in any of the English leagues.

Yep, Cardiff City, Wrexham and Swansea City all play in the English Football League. As for Discrims point, Berwick is in Scotland, but the team called Berwick Rangers play there games across the River, technically in England. So its not exactly for convenience but there stadium is in England.

There is always some talk about both Rangers and Celtic playing in the Premiership in England. The problem with using the UK as an example for all these points is that technically the UK is a country. So all the teams are in the same country. (if you get what I mean!!) The France/Monaco thing is interesting, but again FIFA could say well Monaco can hardly have its own league can it!

In short I don't know if FIFA would allow a canadian market into MLS, I guess it might depend on the Canadian FA. Didn't Vancouver have a team in the NASL though? Possibly the Whitecaps??

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Didn't Vancouver have a team in the NASL though? Possibly the Whitecaps??

Yes, and Toronto had a few NASL teams, the Metros comes to mind. Montreal had the Manic for a couple of years as well. And I believe there were NASL teams in Calgary and Edmonton too.

If the Wizards do move i think people in Kansas City will say....."We had a soccer team?" Pretty sad, but that is a fact of life here in the midwest. Sure all the little kiddies play soccer more these days rather than play baseball. But as far as Adults, they'd rather see Football and Baseball around here. Personally i like Indoor Soccer a HELLUVA lot better than Outdoor Snoozfest Soccer.

anyone know if FIFA still has that rule against leagues having members from more than one country?  if that rule's been trashed, then let's get Toronto! :D

There are a couple Welsh team in the English Lower Divisons, two I know for sure. Cardiff and Swansea.

1zqy8ok.gif

Archived