2014 Memorial Cup

monkeypower

Looks like Guelph will get the #1 seed/spot in Memorial Cup Final. Through four (of six) games, here are the standings and last round-robin games for each team:

1. Guelph 2-0, 11GF-5GA, vs. London - Wednesday
2. Edmonton 1-1, 7GF-7GA, vs. Val-d'Or - Tonight (Tuesday)
3. Val-d'Or 1-1, 4GF-6GA, vs. Edmonton - Tonight (Tuesday)
4. London 0-2, 2GF-6GA, vs. Guelph - Wednesday

*If London beats Guelph, London will play the loser of tonight's game in the tie-breaker, but the winner of tonight's game would not play Guelph because there can only be one tiebreaker game (Thursday)...does any of this make sense? This is waaaay too complicated for a four-team round robin tournament.

Here's a link to the tiebreaking procedures

It is obvious that the CHL wants a four-team, nine-game, ten-day tournament, but there has to be a better way to structure this, considering the tiebreaker craziness.

Also, count me as a fan of "the-host-deserve-a-berth" idea. Without the host participating, fans wouldn't be able to distinguish between good teams and bad teams in the tournament.

Thoughts.

Well, since you mentioned that the CHL wants a 9 game, 10 day tournament, here's an idea I thought of:

-4 teams. The three league champions are ranked by record with the host team in the 4th slot.

-One game per day.

Day 1: Team #1 vs. Host

Day 2: Team #2 vs. Team #3

Day 3: Team #1 vs. Team #3

Day 4: Team #2 vs. Host

Day 5: Team #1 vs. Team #2

Day 6: Team #3 vs. Host

Day 7 and 8: Tiebreaker Games (If Needed)

Day 9: Third Place Game

Day 10: Championship

Makes sense to me.

If Edmonton wins this thing, then Sens fans will be calling for management's head if they don't call up Lazar to the first team all season. He's going to be paired with Our #1 centre next season whoever he is, and Michalek (he's not going anywhere) and he'll become the new Colin Greening / Peter Regin.

Trust me, I know this team.

But I'll still be cheering the kid on, he one of Ottawa's top prospects after all.

Archived