2014 Memorial Cup

monkeypower

Each individual league's championship series have already been decided or will be soon so I thought it would be good to start the thread.

In the WHL it's the Edmonton Oil Kings against the Portland Winterhawks for the third straight year. Edmonton won in 2012 and Portland won in 2013.

In the OHL it's the Guelph Storm against the North Bay Battalion.

The Q hasn't been decided yet but in one semi final, the Blainville-Boisbrand Armada lead the Baie-Comeau Drakkar 3-2. While in the other semi final, the Halifax Mooseheads lead the Val-d'Or Foreurs 3-2.

The host London Knights were eliminated 4-1 in the second round by the Storm and have a month off, but that's a different story.

IbjBaeE.png

I was just thinking about posting this thread tonight, but it appears that you beat me to it. :P

It seems that in most Memorial Cups, teams play against teams that they have never played against before, but this year could be a huge exception to that. At the moment, it is very possible that 3 of the 4 teams from last year could return this year. Even if Portland were to lose to Edmonton, it would just bring a rematch from the 2012 Memorial Cup. I know that it isn't the same but if Portland and Guelph were to both win, it would bring a rematch of the 1998 Memorial Cup final, in which the Winterhawks won in OT.

As for what is actually happening in each league, I can't really comment on the Q and the Dub too much since I don't follow them too closely, but all I can say is that the WHL final will probably be interesting with both teams playing for the third consecutive year and the QMJHL is way too wide open at this point for me to make any assumptions in. This may be a bit biased since I like the US Division for some reason, but I think the Winterhawks will win again. It would be good for the franchise since they probably won't come close to winning anything again for the next few years since they lost those draft picks last year.

The OHL should be a fun series to watch, with the heavily favoured and very powerful Guelph Storm versus the cinderella story that has been the North Bay Battalion. As great as it would be if North Bay won the OHL after that city not having a team for 11 years and having the Centennials struggle in their last 10 years before that, I think that Guelph will dominate that series and I predict that they will win in 5 game. Guelph's strong offence versus North Bay and their defensive game style will be interesting when put against each other.

As for London, I don't really know what to say about them. They will be bloodthirsty and the home ice advantage will help be very dominate throughout the tournament. One thing that will be interesting to see will be how some of their fans react if they win, considering I heard several complain about how Shawinigan didn't deserve to win and should have an asterisk placed next to their tournament win since they were a host team.

Since I'm only an hour away from London, I'm hoping to drive down for a game. I'm working on getting tickets to the WHL vs QMJHL game, since they are easier to get and I get to see two teams that I normally don't get to see. It should be a fun time!

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

the Blainville-Boisbrand Armada lead the Baie-Comeau Drakkar

We're complaining too much about MLS names and not enough about QMJHL names. Words-words words!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As for London, I don't really know what to say about them. They will be bloodthirsty and the home ice advantage will help be very dominate throughout the tournament. One thing that will be interesting to see will be how some of their fans react if they win, considering I heard several complain about how Shawinigan didn't deserve to win and should have an asterisk placed next to their tournament win since they were a host team.

That's the yearly thing with the Memorial Cup. There's always going to be a team that didn't get there by winning. Either the host team or the team the host beats in the finals.

So if that team wins, how can they be considered the champion of the entire CHL if they weren't the best team of their respective league nor did they go through the entire playoff grind. It's like the NCAA giving the host team a Final Four spot in March Madness

IbjBaeE.png

That's the yearly thing with the Memorial Cup. There's always going to be a team that didn't get there by winning. Either the host team or the team the host beats in the finals.

So if that team wins, how can they be considered the champion of the entire CHL if they weren't the best team of their respective league nor did they go through the entire playoff grind. It's like the NCAA giving the host team a Final Four spot in March Madness

And don't forget the fairly meaningless round robin! Where even the fourth place team can still win!

And don't forget the fairly meaningless round robin! Where even the fourth place team can still win!

The 4th place team gets eliminated after the round robin. The 1st place team gets an automatic berth in the finals and the 2nd and 3rd place teams play each other in the semi-final.

The 4th place team gets eliminated after the round robin. The 1st place team gets an automatic berth in the finals and the 2nd and 3rd place teams play each other in the semi-final.
Except for as recently as 2012, when Shawinigan finished fourth on head to head, played a tiebreaker, a semifinal, then won the final. Rendering the entire thing pointless if the last place team could still win. A team that had already been "eliminated" once when they failed to make it out of the second round of their own league's playoffs.

Ditto in 2009 when a fourth place Windsor won.

Just too many redundant games for my liking. Should be the round robin then 1 plays 2. 2 and 3 tied on points after the first round? Head to head winner advances.

Except for as recently as 2012, when Shawinigan finished fourth on head to head, played a tiebreaker, a semifinal, then won the final. Rendering the entire thing pointless if the last place team could still win. A team that had already been "eliminated" once when they failed to make it out of the second round of their own league's playoffs.

They still weren't fourth in the tournament. They were tied for 3rd with the team that they beat in the tie-breaker in each of their respective years.

On a separate note, Val-d'or won tonight, so both series in the Q are going to game 7 which will be played tomorrow.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

You know that's a terrible analogy, right? Only 32 of the 68 teams get in by winning their conference tournament. Sometimes schools that lose in the first round of their conference tournament still make it into the NCAA's.

You know that's a terrible analogy, right? Only 32 of the 68 teams get in by winning their conference tournament. Sometimes schools that lose in the first round of their conference tournament still make it into the NCAA's.
I was meaning the actual Final Four, the four teams at the end, not the whole tournament.

IbjBaeE.png

The QMJHL final is set between the Val-d'or Foreurs and the Baie-Comeau Drakkar.

So, all three league finals include members from the '98 Memorial Cup: Portland, Guelph, and Val d'Or. I remember how teams were worried about Val d'Or coming in with Luongo and shutting down the rest of the field... The finished 4th! Amazing to me how many players from that MC are still playing. Luongo, Morrow, Ference, Hossa...

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

They still weren't fourth in the tournament. They were tied for 3rd with the team that they beat in the tie-breaker in each of their respective years.

On a separate note, Val-d'or won tonight, so both series in the Q are going to game 7 which will be played tomorrow.

According to the tournament's own rules, they were. They lost head to head against Edmonton. Same exact thing with Windsor, they lost to Rimouski in the robin. Both teams were treated as the visitors in the tiebreakers, having the disadvantage of first change and everything else that entails.

Even if you want to just look at points and say they were tied for third instead of fourth, it still makes zero sense for a last place team to be in contention for a championship. imo, in those cases the tiebreaker should be dropped and skip right to 1 vs 2.

Side note: It's interesting looking back at junior box scores a few years after the fact and see who all played together and where they are at now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived