The Wild League Project

sparkychewbarky

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are beautiful. I'd buy one.

Thanks Road runner. Beep-Beep!

I've never even watched a hockey game (I know that's sacrilege to most of you), but damn these are nice! Fantastic work, I must say!

My target market definitely includes the non-hockey fans. It's good to hear from one. Thanks P.

The Winged Logos...

Well...look what I found in my parents' attic... (see post #175)

wl-204.jpg

The Winged Logos cont'd

Behold...The classic single-winged hockey logo ( s-w-h-l )...

wl-218.jpg

It's the perfect image for hockey when you think of it.

It captures the spirit of "flying across the ice".

You'd think that the "single-wing-logo" would be a no-brainer for the "Eagles" and/or the "Flying Canooks".

However, (maybe because such a logo would be too similar to the winged "W" of the league), neither team had such an "s-w-h-l" in its portfolio.

...Until this event...

wl-204.jpg

The above is a rare promotional poster for the first modern-era, pro hockey game to take place on an outdoor, "non-hockey" venue.

Around Christmas of 1993, the industrious Beaverbrookians flooded a runway at the Beaverbrook Air Base, threw up some boards and 30,000 temporary seats, and hosted an actual regular season game.

The League mandated that the teams design uniforms specifically for this event, and asked for the logos to be in the "single-wing" style to jive with the event logo.

The "Eagles" threw some wings on their A-star roundel, while the "Flying Canooks" feathered their classic "FC" logo.

Thankfully, the sweaters, with the awful 1990's era, diagonal body stripes, were used only for this game. (what a collector's item!).

However, the logos caught the fans' fancy.

wl-205.jpg

The Winged Logos cont'd

The teams added the "Breakaway on the Runway" designs to their arsenal, and today those logos offer the fans yet another option for their merchandise purchases...

wl-208.jpg

wl-209.jpg

wl-215.jpg

wl-211.jpg

wl-212.jpg

The League actually created a new line of hockey merchandise.

The "Wingman Hockey" brand was inspired by the winged logos and, (for whatever reason :D), has become a popular brand with the 20 to 30 yr. old, single-male crowd...

wl-207.jpg

The winged logos are sick.

These current logos are great, although I hate all of the NHL winged teams.

The Winged Logos co

wl-209.jpg

Every time I see the huge collars on all these jerseys it makes me laugh.

Thanks guys.

mm...I'm just curious ...do you hate the 'winged logo' teams, or the logos themselves?

Hi darkp...I found these over at the NHL store. They're hockey-style hoodies. You're right; the collars are a bit over-the-top, but they appear to be popular.

The winged logos are sick.

These current logos are great, although I hate all of the NHL winged teams.

The Winged Logos co

wl-209.jpg

Every time I see the huge collars on all these jerseys it makes me laugh.

Thanks guys.

mm...I'm just curious ...do you hate the 'winged logo' teams, or the logos themselves?

Hi darkp...I found these over at the NHL store. They're hockey-style hoodies. You're right; the collars are a bit over-the-top, but they appear to be popular.

I don't like the teams, but their logos are fine.

And these new images are great!

That's what- She

You're channeling your inner Doc Emrick with those T-shirts, aren't you? Of course, now I'm reading those shirts in his voice, and I love them even more, haha.

I'd also suggest having him narrate the inevitable audio book.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

The Winged Logos co

And these new images are great!

Thanks m.

You're channeling your inner Doc Emrick with those T-shirts, aren't you? Of course, now I'm reading those shirts in his voice, and I love them even more, haha.

I'd also suggest having him narrate the inevitable audio book.

Thanks Lafarge, but I have to admit...Your comment sent me to Google to see who Doc was.

Living north of the border, I watch hockey on CBC and TSN, so I wasn't familiar with Mr. Emrick.

I hadn't thought of who would be a good 'voice' for the books, but as a well known announcer, and someone with a bit of a flair, Doc wouldn't be a bad choice.

Wild League In the Hockey Community

If popular, I'd like the Wild League concept to be used as a 'tool' to promote and fund minor hockey.

I think a theme like this could be handy for connecting to the younger crowd.

Again, Wild League would focus on the FUN part of the game, as well as safety, good sportsmanship, etc...

I did up a couple of Wild League versions of famous celebrations...

wl-168.jpg

wl-169.jpg

I combined these with the simple message of "Play Hockey".

Here's a couple of 'Registration Notice' posters...

wl-193.jpg

wl-192.jpg

...Bumper stickers- same message- different images...

wl-197.jpg

In the Hockey Community cont'd

If Wild League had its own hockey-helping 'charity', I think a good focus would be to reduce the cost of the game.

I see that being accomplished by

- having an inexpensive alternate to the full-blown game, for the younger and entry level players...Shinny with a ball- no need for as much expensive equipment, and

- creating smaller, less costly venues for shinny, public skating and ball hockey (in the summer)- More and smaller outdoor rinks might be the answer...

wl-217.jpg

A "Wild League" Book

Finally, the last chapter in this LONG (sorry 'bout that) topic.

I'm going to post a rough draft of the kids' book that I'll be linking around to publishers along with this entire thread.

...Just a few notes before I throw it up.

It's a rough draft, so artwork and text are not final.

I mentioned before, that I've been kickin' this idea around for a lo-o-ong time so the artwork has been done in various stages, and therefore, there's a number of different styles.

A definite "style" and consistency can be decided upon, and achieved at a later date.

The text needs to be edited and perhaps the book should be shortened. I've done up a 36 page book which might be a tad long for a kids' picture book.

Finally, I'm trying to lay this out in the way you would see a "spread"...Text on the left page, with the corresponding graphics on the right page.

It shows up that way on my screen, so I hope it displays the same way for you too.

Thanks to all for your excellent feedback...much appreciated.

Hope you enjoy it....

Cover

wl-pagescover.jpg

Archived