The Wild League Project

sparkychewbarky

I was thinking, "Hmm, my father loves Kickstarter, and children books do really well on Kickstarter. So even as a 39 y/o man, I bet that my father would buy it."

That's a good observation, mm, because even though they're "kids' books"...it's the adults that make the purchase!

I mentioned this earlier... it's probably a good idea to create something that appeals to both Parent and Child.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't realize the Wabbits logo needed the change until you made it. It's a subtle but very effective improvement.

Love the conceptual reasoning and execution of the Bears. (The alts are my favorites as well.) But I am wondering about the helmet on the Bears 3D images. It looks very orange.

If you really want to get this published, I think I'd be one of many who would love to contribute, and you should definitely look into Kickstarter. This is exactly the kind of book I'd love to have for my kids. And again, this is one of the best works I've seen on these boards (or anywhere else) in a long time. I look forward to each update.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Wow, it's been a long while since I've visited this forum, and what an amazing thread to suck me back in.

Sparky, as a wannabe children's author myself, can I suggest Print-on-demand (such as Amazon's Createspace) as a way of getting your work out there if publishers don't get on board. I've self-published a few titles this way - it's the no minimums that make it attractive, I don't sell many, but I'm not paying for unused copies.

Hi DeadFish...How are things in Oz?

I tried the self-publishing thing once: It was kind of expensive to start, and didn't really work out. (a great learning experience though)

Also, there was no advantage of the marketing and networking resources that a large publisher could offer.

I'm hoping to sway a pub with the "added-on" cross-promotional possibilities that would be possible with this concept.

...But I'm curious- What did you self-publish? How'd it go?

Hi Sparky, Oz is just great thanks!

I've used createspace to self-publish a collection of baseball themed comic strips and two kids books I wrote for my son (3 year old). For the most part I sold to people I know or gave out copies as gifts. Print-On-Demand required zero upfront cost (at least with some providers) which is why I chose it. I pay only for what I can use. The book gets listed online, but yeah, you don't get the promotion. It has in no way been a money-maker, but it was an inexpensive indulgence, and worthwhile if only because my little boy loves his Dinosaur books.

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-E-Breen/e/B00JIOGVUM/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2?qid=1402633080&sr=8-2

Consider Createspace (or a competitor) IF you can't get interest from Publishers, this deserves a bigger audience than self-publishing will get you. Kickstarter, I think is also an excellent idea.

As long as there is some way for me to get my hands on it in the end I'll be happy.

Man Sparky, hats off to you! There's such a tremendous amount of work going into this concept & it clearly shows. I have to say...right now is a good time to be on these boards/forums & having you share this with us. There are so many concepts popping up on a daily basis but if any deserve to stay on the first page it's this one! Once again, outstanding job & best of luck on getting published!

Again, thanks to all for the response...

The Port Pi-Rats Minimal Logo

"The scuzzy ol' Pi-Rats

Were scrappin' and cheatin'.

They would try any thing

To not be beaten."

The Pi-Rats are the villains of the Wild League.

They provide the bad sportsmanship; the bad examples;...the contrast to how things should be done.

With the Pi-Rats "acting out", a story with a lesson to be learned, or a story with a moral to it, is easier to create.

So the Rats are an important element to the series.

The obvious symbol for the Pi-Rats would be a classic "skull-and-crossbones" logo, based on their buccaneer heritage...

wl-102.jpg

However, as tempting as that was, the first priority for the uniform logo is to be as simple as possible,

So, I went with a simple "X" in cross-bone format...

wl-74-1.jpg

The logo's a little lame on its own, but when you think of it, the entire creature in uniform, as it appears in the book...IS the logo.

For example;... here's what you would see on a breakaway on the Rats' goalie (Ratrick Roy)...

wl-98.jpg

Now there is your skull and crossbones!

The Pi-Rats Uniforms

Black and white - simple - stark.

The Pi-Rats are similar to the Wabbits in body style...a little larger...

wl-18-1.jpgwl-43-1.jpg

They won't be as fierce or menacing-looking in the books, as I've rendered them here.

To keep the skull-and-crossbones 'feel' to the characters, I gave them a grey-white colour, rather than brown.

Home Unis

wl-100.jpg

Away Unis

wl-101.jpg

Alt Unis

wl-99.jpg

The Pi-Rats Uniforms

Black and white- simple- stark.

The Pi-Rats are similar to the Wabbits in body style...a little larger...

wl-18-1.jpg

They won't be as fierce or menacing-looking in the books, as i've rendered them here.

To keep the skull-and-crossbones 'feel' to the characters, I gave them a grey-white colour, rather than brown.

Home Unis

wl-100.jpg

Away Unis

wl-101.jpg

Alt Unis

wl-99.jpg

YES! I've been looking for a concept that includes the stereotypical sailor outfit :notworthy:

Also excited for the 'Murica team

That's what- She

wl-102.jpg

That sketch with hockey mask as a skull is simply perfection. It's not just children's book awesome, but it's good enough to be used for a professional franchise. It's simply amazing. It might just be the best logo I've seen from you, sparky (and that's saying something, b/c I'm blown away by practically everything else you make).

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

The Wolves Minimal Logo

The Wild League wanted its teams to have an international-hockey-vibe to their "look",

and the Wolves were more than happy to oblige.

By drawing from their heritage and emulating one of the nicest-looking unis in international hockey, the Wolves created a familiar-looking concept...

wl-103.jpgwl-78.jpg

Wolves "3D"!

As with the Rats, the Wolves 3D model was created for the CCSLC crowd, and is a tad more aggressive-looking than they will appear in the books (don't wanna scare the kids).

Homes

wl-52.jpg

Aways

...can also be worn at home...

wl-53.jpg

Alternative

This sweater features a nordic/celtic style paw logo...

wl-51.jpg

Archived