The Wild League Project

sparkychewbarky

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Into the "Modern Era"

The Eagles and Canooks used their original logos and colours right up into the late 50's- early 60's,

at which time they both made some major changes.

The Eagles...

were representing the U.S.of A. in major international tournaments, and had become "America's Team" in the Wild League.

They decided to reflect this new identity in a change of colours and logos.

The Eagles went Red White and Blue, and they utilized the stars and stripes.

Formal-style crests were popular in the day and the team's new "official" logo was created in that style...

(on light)...

wl-145.jpg

(on dark)

wl-183.jpg

The Flying Canooks...

also underwent a change in style (at about the same time).

They added black to their red and white palette, and proudly represent Canada in those colours today.

They kept the traditional script font but transformed the leaf into a jet-ish geometric shape.

(The Beaverbrook Air Base is a large part of the community's identity and commercial jet travel was becoming the next big thing at that time).

The Eagles had beaten the Beevs to the punch with the use of wings in their crest, so the Canooks decided to suggest the feeling of flight, with "upward and outward" shapes.

The new crest contains most of the elements used in today's Flying Canook look...

(on light)

wl-146.jpg

(on dark)

wl-147.jpg

The full team crests were used on the team sweaters for a few years before both teams went to a simpler, minimal logo.

However the crests are still used for certain applications, such as on these binders that are designed to hold your collection of Wild League books...

wl-184.jpg

The "Mascot Logos"

At the time of the logo changes, "mascot logos" were a popular trend for U.S. colleges.

These logos were basically cartoons that were created mainly for marketing and merchandising purposes. Few of these logos actually appeared on a uniform.

(You can see a ton of these designs in ren69's UPDATING VINTAGE LOGOS).

Later, these rendered creatures would come to life as elaborate mascot costumes and eventually, almost every sports team would have a "mascot".

The Eagles

"The American Eagles,

Did all the things,

That could only be done

With a good set of wings!"

The Eagles wanted to emphasize the unique ability that only they (in the Wild League) possessed...They could fly!

wl-150.jpg

The American Eagle in flight just seemed like a natural pose, and as luck would have it, years later,

the best hockey player EVER (editorial comment) would strike a similar pose after one of the most famous goals ever...

orrgoal.jpg

The "Eagle" can be used in many applications and has become essential in reminding us of the American Eagles' role as "America's Team"...

wl-185.jpg

The Flying Canooks...

"On wings of steel,

The Canooks took flight,

Beneath millions of stars,

And the Great Northern Lights!"

The Flying Canooks emphasized a different kind of flying with their mascot logo...flying across the ice!

I borrowed from the Ontario Beavers' "Beev" character, and made a few changes...

wl-152.jpg

I gave the character a sense of speed and "horizontal flow", by using the skate laces as motion lines.

...And, as like its American cousin, a number of versions exist including an all-Canadian design...

wl-186.jpg

Probably one of the best concept series I've seen here in quite some time. It has so many layers to it and considering how polished everything looks, you deserve all the credit you've gotten. Any publisher or youth hockey group should really consider you for making their product. Outstanding job all around.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

This all great stuff, Sparky. I especially like the little sparkle in the eye of the soaring eagle, and the aggressive, hunched over position of the beaver. The only thing that I can see that I'm not too fond of is the italicized "American Eagle" font. To me, italicized words don't look that great on an arched path but, man, these animals are so life like, yet clean. It's nice to see.

The Flying Canooks...

"On wings of steel,

The Canooks took flight,

Beneath millions of stars,

And the Great Northern Lights!"

The Flying Canooks emphasized a different kind of flying with their mascot logo...flying across the ice!

I borrowed from the Ontario Beavers' "Beev" character, and made a few changes...

wl-152.jpg

I gave the character a sense of speed and "horizontal flow", by using the skate laces as motion lines.

...And, as like its American cousin, a number of versions exist including an all-Canadian design...

wl-186.jpg

Beautiful. Amazing. Flawless. Art.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Guest darkpiranha

I can't stop smiling as I go through this series. I'd applaud you for your imagination, but at this point I'm pretty sure this is a real thing and you discovered it in a magical chest in your parents' attic, and all you're really doing is transcribing things and scanning them and cleaning them up. The layers of authenticity revealed with each new post are truly stunning.

While it goes without saying that we're looking forward to purchasing the actual children's books that this will be the basis of, I'm sure I'm not alone in expressing a rabid desire for all of your sketches and work to be collected in a beautiful coffee-table book.

The Bobby Orr eagle is maybe my favorite thing of all the stuff you've done, and that includes one of my top five favorite logos of all time, real or concept, your Halifax Highlanders.

Keep it coming, dude.

Both are just great!

Appreciate that PF!

giphy.gif

That's good G. Thank you.

Amazing, what a beautiful body of work you have here.

I especially love the sketches and the character outlines for the sweater designs, well done.

Thank you Quack. I probably have a hundred pages of rough sketches. It's been a work in progress for a while now.

These are super fun and really well rendered.

Thanks Funk. Really enjoying your current NBA series.

The Flying Canooks...

Beautiful. Amazing. Flawless. Art.

Much appreciated Go Red Sox!...(even though you guys stole our manager :lol: )

Probably one of the best concept series I've seen here in quite some time. It has so many layers to it and considering how polished everything looks, you deserve all the credit you've gotten. Any publisher or youth hockey group should really consider you for making their product. Outstanding job all around.

Thanks so much Alex. I do this for a hobby and a situation like you mentioned would be a dream job.

This all great stuff, Sparky. I especially like the little sparkle in the eye of the soaring eagle, and the aggressive, hunched over position of the beaver. The only thing that I can see that I'm not too fond of is the italicized "American Eagle" font. To me, italicized words don't look that great on an arched path but, man, these animals are so life like, yet clean. It's nice to see.

Your right jaha. The arced italicized lettering kinda muddles it. I have some more images done with the current style that I have to use, but before the thread's done I'll use your suggestion. Thanks for the input.

I can't stop smiling as I go through this series. I'd applaud you for your imagination, but at this point I'm pretty sure this is a real thing and you discovered it in a magical chest in your parents' attic, and all you're really doing is transcribing things and scanning them and cleaning them up. The layers of authenticity revealed with each new post are truly stunning.

While it goes without saying that we're looking forward to purchasing the actual children's books that this will be the basis of, I'm sure I'm not alone in expressing a rabid desire for all of your sketches and work to be collected in a beautiful coffee-table book.

The Bobby Orr eagle is maybe my favorite thing of all the stuff you've done, and that includes one of my top five favorite logos of all time, real or concept, your Halifax Highlanders.

Keep it coming, dude.

darkp...good to hear from you. That was beautifully written. Thank you.

Archived