The Wild League Project

sparkychewbarky

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Beaverbrook Flying Canooks- Minimal Logo

The unofficial "Team Canada" in the Wild League is the Flying Canooks.

The Canooks wanted a look inspired by the most iconic Canadian hockey sweater of all time...

The 1972 Summit Series sweater.

They asked me to tweak a design that I had done up for the Sochi Olympics, and make it a little more dynamic...

wl-107.jpg

I changed the lines to swoop upward and outward...as if taking off, eh?

wl-79.jpg

Alt & Vintage Logos

Back in 1950, Charles Schultz created a funky little dog as a pet for Charlie Brown...

Draw-Snoopy-Step-27.jpg

I doubt if Mr. Schulz had any idea that Snoopy would make him much more money as a "salesperson" for countless consumer items, than he would as a character in a cartoon strip.

snoopy2.jpg

The era of merchandising royalties was booming, and soon the great cartoon classics (Bugs Bunny) were being replaced with half-hour commercials for Kids stuff. (remember the "Care Bears"?...Ugh! :suspect: )

Quality content was secondary to the concept's ability to sell "stuff".

Thankfully, the pendulum seems to have swung back...the horse is again in front of the cart.

There's incredible competition out there for the wooing of young eyes.

Cartoon and children's concepts have to be good before they can be considered for cross-promotional ventures.

You develop the quality and concept first, however, an eye must kept on the marketing possibilities,

and that's where, in this project, the enhanced, alternative, and vintage logos come into play.

These graphics are designed for use on the T-shirts, toys, hockey gear, promotional products, etc...

Wabbits Vintage Logo

Before proceeding, I must thank ren69 for his fantastic "UPDATING VINTAGE LOGOS" thread found here...UPDATING VINTAGE LOGOS.

Most of the vintage logos are linear cartoon characters- perfect for a kids' project.

ren's done a great job in cleaning up, updating, and creating new graphics for the various subjects.

MiamiHurricanesSebastian.jpg

The Wabs' vintage, (as will be the case in most of these logos), emphasizes fun over fierce...

wl-114.jpg

The vintage logos will make a great merchandising tool for the kids...

wl-115.jpg

I'm glad to see it. Canada looked really great.

Thanks mm.

The Bears Enhanced Logos

The Bears' minimal was probably the least minimal of the bunch, and really didn't need a lot of tweaking.

They're a serious bunch, so I felt that a bevelling of the basic logo would give it a more stately look.

Here's a multi-coloured version...

wl-118.jpg

The Bears' Vintage

The Bears, The Wolves, and of course, The Pi-Rats, will have a bit more of an aggressive lean to them.

They will provide the counter to the "good guys"- The Canooks, The Eagles, and the fun-loving Wabbits.

The Bears' vintage uses the sickle's arc as a kind of motion line...

wl-119.jpg

Here it is in colour...

wl-120.jpg

...A couple of product ideas...

wl-121.jpg

Thanks guys...

The Pi-Rats of Port - Alt Logos

"Back in Black"

The "Bad Guys" in the series are a pretty basic bunch...They wear black. They sport the skull 'n crossbones. They're just bad.(in a humorous sort of way).

The Pi-Rats' logo in the books is a simple "X", but for merchandise and promotional ventures, the Rats can be a little more "enhanced"...

wl-123.jpg

The classic skull 'n crossbones can be used alone or with the "Port Pi-Rats" word-mark...

wl-124.jpg

Archived