The Wild League Project

sparkychewbarky

Thank you guys.

Before moving on to the logos, colours, and unis of the 6 teams, I'm gonna present a brief history of each group.

Please keep in mind that these histories are 'way-too-complicated' in content and style to be an actual part of the kids' books.

They're included here only to give you some insight as to how each team ended up with its "look".

The Rabbits' Story

"A team with finesse;

A team with flair;

Incredibly quick...

This team full of hares!"

The Rabbit population is comprised of HUGE families or clans. (Hey, they're rabbits)

The Waska family had the good fortune to settle in a Shangri-La type of Lea (valley) nestled between two mountain ranges.

The rich, fertile soil of the lea, provided the Waskas with incredible crops, and the clan became very wealthy and prominent in providing the entire Rabbit population with its favourite food...Carrots.

When the industrial era came, the orange root provided the Waskas with the finances to delve into new enterprises.

Wally and Wilbur Waska founded the "Waska Motor Co."... and the rural community of WaskaLea, became the bustling metropolis of WaskaLea.

wl-22.jpg

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rabbits' Story...Cont'd

When the Wild League started up, the WaskaLea contingent (headed by Wally) easily outbid all other groups for the hockey franchise.

The team was introduced to the WaskaLeans with the unveiling of a new city sign.

The team's name would be...the "WaskaLea Wabbits" !

wl-23.jpg

(man, that was a long way to go for a punch line :oops: )

The team's name would be...the "WaskaLea Wabbits" !

98541-monkey-sigh-rimshot-gif-Imgur-7K6T

Good one DP. Ba-dum-tishhh. :P

The Bears' Story

"The Bears are huge,

And they keep coming at ya!

But they're slow, so keep moving,

And they just might not catch ya."

During the last ice age, a land bridge connected North America with Asia.

It was over this route, that the Bears migrated in large numbers to the N.A. continent.

wl-25.jpg

The journey was harsh and treacherous,

but they managed to make their way down the west coast and then through the forested areas, inward.

wl-24.jpg

The Bears, through the years, have remained in the more remote areas of Canada and the U.S., and today inhabit mostly resort, logging, and mining towns and cities.

They have retained their close cultural and family ties with Russia.

There were several locations considered, but in the end the Bears community chose the scenic resort city of Rushin'River to be the home of

the "Rushin'River Bears".

"Bears, Da!" ( as opposed to "Da Bears!" :lol: )

wl-70.jpg

I'm sorry, can you explain to me why you aren't a famous children's book author? This stuff is absolutely fantastic, as it always seems to be.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

good stories.

Thanks FALCON. I'll get to the other histories pretty quick so we can get back to logos and uniforms.

I'm sorry, can you explain to me why you aren't a famous children's book author? This stuff is absolutely fantastic, as it always seems to be.

Thank you Lafarge. It seems to be a tough gig to land. I've sent out quite a bit of stuff to publishers over the years without much luck. I've even "self-published" a couple of stories which were sent out, or given as gifts.

("Self-published" means that I just paid a printer to produce some copies). I imagine that anyone who can draw a lick has thought of doing a kids' book, so pub editors probably get dozens of submissions EVERY DAY!

A submission, (especially if it's a new concept) has to REALLY pop to just be noticed...My stuff's not there yet.

The Rats' Story

"The Finks of the Rinks"

Every story or series of stories needs a bad guy... a villain... someone or something to wear the black hat.

The Rats' heritage has prepared them well for filling that important role.

Most members of the Rat community are direct descendants of scuzzy pirates, who came to these shores seeking refuge from the warships of any number of countries that they plundered.

wl-30.jpg

As they moved inland, the pirates became horse-thieves, robbers, scoundrels, and their "Ports of Refuge" became more numerous.

It's notable that the letter "X" was such an important element in Rats' history.

That letter formed the crossbones on their flags...it marked these "hole-in-the-wall" safe-places...it helped to locate buried treasure.

Today, although they have maintained their questionable character, most Rats are law-abiding citizens working in the entertainment business.

The original safe-haven of Port X, has transformed itself into the mecca of thrill-seekers...

wl-69.jpg

Often referred to as just "the Port" (as in "what happens in the Port, stays in the Port"), Port X is the home of Wild League's "Port Pi-Rats".

The Wolves' Story

"...and the Wolves' fans were howling for a call."

While the Bears arrived here by land, the Wolves came by sea.

In the 8th century, Scandinavian raiders somehow made their way to North America in amazing "Wolf-ship" longboats.

wl-27.jpg

The most famous and fearless of these adventurers, was King Ragnar "Tre Fot" Howler.

King Ragnar had lost a paw when he was younger (probably in battle).

His 3-footed tracks that he left when he was on the prowl, became his signature, and, as king, his Wolf-ships' sails were marked with the blue and yellow "Tre Fot" design.

wl-26.jpg

The first settlement of Howler Bay (named after Ragnar) became the capital of Wolf-nation, and later, the home of Wild League's "Howler Bay Wolves".

If you ever get published, please use Sparky Chewbarky as your pen name... Please...

I just might do that, (probably)notabandwagonfan. Thanks.

This is just absolutely brilliant! It's great to see this marketed for kids and creative is an understatement with the stories. (**)(**)(**)(**)(**)

Can I just say you are awesome? This is just fantastic. FANTASTIC. FANTASTIC!

...Much appreciated, guys.

Great stuff, really looking forward to seeing those logos!!

Hi ren. I hope you don't mind, but I'll be referring to your beauty vintage logo thread when I attempt the vintage logos for this project.

Well...back to the conclusion of the histories (and then we can get on to the logos 'n unis).

The Eagles' Story

"The Eagles can also do

All of the things,

That can only be done

With a good set of wings."

When one thinks of the U.S. of A., one thinks of the Eagles...and for good reason.

Throughout history, these native birds have worn their country's colours proudly.

They've been the workers and builders; the dreamers and revolutionaries; the explorers and risk-takers...

wl-32.jpg

They have always answered the call to represent U.S.A. on the international pond,

and have given their fellow Americans some of their proudest hockey memories...

wl-33.jpg

They've earned the mantel of "America's Team" for another reason. They travel well.

At the end of a game, they just pack up their gear and fly...

So, they schedule their home games in different Eagle communities across the nation.

EagleNation's barnstorming, Wild League hockey team proudly call themselves...The "American Eagles" .

The Beavers' Story

"In the final minutes

Of seventh-game play,

Henderson's goal

Put the Bears away."

Like the aforementioned Eagles... the Beavers have become national "symbols".

These hard-working, community-minded, pond-dwelling creatures have been at the centre of almost every important political, historical, and sporting event.

In their hockey-loving homeland of Canada, historians acknowledge, that the game of hockey most likely originated in the Beavers' community of "Beaverbrook".

It was here, where several enterprising residents strapped some blades onto the celtic game of "Shinty", and took it to the pond.

(Legend has it, that the first "puck" was a frozen road-apple from someone's horse)...

wl-35.jpg

The Beavers' Story- Cont'd

The Beevs have represented Canada well on the international ice-hockey stage...

wl-34.jpg

The decision to locate the Beavers' Wild League team in the historic town of Beaverbrook was a no-brainer.

To capture the Canadiana theme, and to emphasize the free-wheeling style that the team loves to play...

The Beavers have dubbed their team- The "Beaverbrook Flying Canooks".

Archived