Chuck Noll

wdm1219inpenna

First, former Dodger pitcher Bob Welch, now the news that former Pittsburgh Steeler head coach Chuck Noll has passed away at age 82. Lombardi is the greatest ever, but for my money, Noll was #2. Not Shula, not Landry, not Belichick. Probably the most unsung and most underrated head coach in not just NFL history, but all of pro sports.

Was just watching something on the '78 and 79 Steelers. As much as I disliked the Steelers back then, they were a great team and Mr. Noll was a great coach. Another piece of my childhood is gone. RIP, Coach.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I awoke overnight with ESPN on, at which point I learned of his death. I was kind of surprised that he had an "undisclosed illness." Then I realized that they didn't mention that he suffered from Alzheimer's Disease (something I, and most anyone with ties to the area, knew about at least informally), and thought "Someone's trying to hide that he had Alzheimer's? What are they afraid of? There's no stigma there."

nav-logo.png

Probably the fact that Noll was also a former player as well, might be why the Alzheimer's was not disclosed. Could be that he did not want that disclosed to the public either while he was alive. Might have been his family's wishes to keep that quiet too until after his passing.

Privacy. once he retired Chuck Noll went away and stayed away. He looked to be a private man who did not seek the limelight and wanted to stay as far away from the public as possible and that may be why everything was kept under wraps. People do have the right to keep their lives private if they choose.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

No, I understand that guys. The Noll's are obviously entitled to their privacy and Chuck was very much like me in that in public he could be outgoing but in private, quite reserved and introverted.

What I'm just wondering is - did the family for some reason think there's some stigma attached to Alzheimer's, and as such, opted not to go public with it?

nav-logo.png

Archived