Manchester United signs with adidas with £750m

TrueYankee26

Simply put, this deal is obscene. It more than doubles the previous record (per season) held by Real Madrid.

Things like this can only lead to an increase in shirt price on the fans and my guess is that people will happily overpay even more. Other clubs will follow suit and before you know it £75 (~$130) on a replica will be the norm.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

That's when the Ebay replicas will start selling like hot cakes. We'll see the lower league teams scrambling to find suppliers because adidas and Puma will fight for the larger contracts. That will hopefully bring in better looking kits since they won't be stuck in the adidas and Puma route of three templates to pick from. At least Nike said they know they'd still make money, it just wasn't worth overpaying to do so.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

That's when the Ebay replicas will start selling like hot cakes. We'll see the lower league teams scrambling to find suppliers because adidas and Puma will fight for the larger contracts. That will hopefully bring in better looking kits since they won't be stuck in the adidas and Puma route of three templates to pick from. At least Nike said they know they'd still make money, it just wasn't worth overpaying to do so.

Obviously eBay/fakes are massively in circulation right now. I think the price of shirts currently is high enough to make people choose between fakes or real. Anybody who sticks with real is doing it for the right reasons (No IP theft, supporting their club's coffers). I wouldn't expect a dramatic rise in the sales of fakes, more a decrease in sales of official replicas if anything.

Lower league teams generally "buy their kits out of a catalogue" by ordering teamwear templates. I don't think this deal will impact any of that as it's only really the bigger markets (e.g. Leeds) and clubs with bespoke manufacturers which have actual kit deals.

Obviously eBay/fakes are massively in circulation right now. I think the price of shirts currently is high enough to make people choose between fakes or real. Anybody who sticks with real is doing it for the right reasons (No IP theft, supporting their club's coffers). I wouldn't expect a dramatic rise in the sales of fakes, more a decrease in sales of official replicas if anything.

I'd agree on the decrease. I'm also wondering how many fans will buy up the current Nike stock only because they don't like adidas. I'll probably be at the front of that cue. If Manchester United held firm on controlling the entire look, (i.e. getting rid of the sleeve/shoulder stripes) they could make some quality kits. I doubt United will care enough, and I don't think the majority of the supporters will care enough to limit the adidas creep.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'd agree on the decrease. I'm also wondering how many fans will buy up the current Nike stock only because they don't like adidas. I'll probably be at the front of that cue. If Manchester United held firm on controlling the entire look, (i.e. getting rid of the sleeve/shoulder stripes) they could make some quality kits. I doubt United will care enough, and I don't think the majority of the supporters will care enough to limit the adidas creep.

I don't get what you mean by holding firm and controlling the entire look?

It has been said several times on here that United have worn Adidas kits in the not so distant past. They even won silverware wearing them.

Bryan-Robson0_1950662c.jpg

Adopting a brands particular recognisable feature is part of life. If it was Kappa they would have the big logo on the sleeves. Hummel would have the chevrons on the sleeves. Warrior would be an outlandish design on at least one of the kits. Just a few examples.

Part of what makes the deal so huge is the opportunity for Adidas to emblazon their logo and identity all over the kits and clothing which will be seen and worn worldwide by millions (if not billions). It's just something you will have to get used to I am afraid.

Crazy money. Hopefully we buy some world class players with the cash we will have.

Quite the contrary. It will go to paying down the massive debts of past spending binges. No big business uses cash to pay for current expenses.

Elite EU football clubs have and are continuing to put themselves in horrible financial situations. You won't see a failure/club folding but receivership or a distressed sale is likely to happen to one or more. Pretty soon every club will be owned by a Russian oligarch or Oil Sheikh.

I don't get what you mean by holding firm and controlling the entire look?

It has been said several times on here that United have worn Adidas kits in the not so distant past. They even won silverware wearing them.

Bryan-Robson0_1950662c.jpg

Adopting a brands particular recognisable feature is part of life. If it was Kappa they would have the big logo on the sleeves. Hummel would have the chevrons on the sleeves. Warrior would be an outlandish design on at least one of the kits. Just a few examples.

Part of what makes the deal so huge is the opportunity for Adidas to emblazon their logo and identity all over the kits and clothing which will be seen and worn worldwide by millions (if not billions). It's just something you will have to get used to I am afraid.

If adidas went in this direction, I'd be fine with this. I just don't like the idea that our second and third shirt could look the same as Chelsea's home shirt, save color changes. I do supremely despise the inclusion of the three stripes on everything. When these were worn it didn't seem to be mandatory on every kit.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Obscene amount of cash...but they gotta pay off those debts somehow.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Archived