M L B All-Star Game Question

Brass

I have a little question....

Is it right for the fans to vote for the starters in the All-Star game? IMO, abosoultely not. My case in point. Yes, I am a very loyal Red Sox fan if you haven't noticed, but how does Jason Giambi, who is having a HORRIBLE season, get the starting job over David Ortiz?

With fans, they only pick the names. If Barry Bonds was batting .196 with 0 hoemrs and 2 RBI's (I know it wouldn't happen, but work with me here) and another left-fielder lets say, I dunno Joe Schmo, was battin .488 with 25 homers and 76 RBI's, the fans would pick Bonds over Schmo.

So yes, it was a question and a complant. Has anyone else ever noticed this?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Even I'll admit Giambi didn't deserve it. My guess as far as that goes is Giambi gets one at-bat at most (Joe Torre isn't gonna waste whatever energy Giambi has on an overglorified exhibition game) and Ortiz ends up playing longer than him.

As far as fans voting, the All-Star Game exists for no other reason than for the amusement of fans...it should be the fans who decide who plays.

Underawknowledged players usually get the recognition they deserve from more analyitical sources during awards season or when they negotiate their next contract.

I'm just happy that Jack Wilson made the NL squad. :D

Here's another question: What do y'all think about requiring one All-Star from each team? I personally think it's a joke (even though without that rule the Buccos wouldn't have had anyone named to the squad over at least the last 3 or 4 years--Mike Williams, anyone?).

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

I don't care, but I can see how the MLB uses that rule, and I'm ok with that. Think about it, if you don't have anyone on the team, your gonna be less interested...that could eliminate a whole market of viewers.

Not that the Cards were a bad team by any means in 2002, in fact they were great, but that was right after the deaths of JFB and DK, and only MattyMo was there and he decided not to even play. I was a little less interested that year because of that.

well if you remember the all star games at the end of Tony Gwinn and Cal Ripkens career then you will remember that they were both voted on despite having seasons that were below there career average, anyways they both had good moments in those last few allstar games like Arod letting cal play short, and then he hits the home run, so I think that fans should vote. And if a guy is having a spectacular season and isnt voted on, then he will probably get on the team anyways.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

well if you remember the all star games at the end of Tony Gwinn and Cal Ripkens career then you will remember that they were both voted on despite having seasons that were below there career average, anyways they both had good moments in those last few allstar games like Arod letting cal play short, and then he hits the home run, so I think that fans should vote. And if a guy is having a spectacular season and isnt voted on, then he will probably get on the team anyways.

Though I don't remember how his season was going other than he was splitting time, it was likewise for Ozzie Smith. Except, I'm not sure he had a great ASG or not.

A lot of my area is composed of Reds fans (along with the Cubs and Cardinals) and I've caught a couple of Reds games myself, but I don't really agree with Barry Larkin starting at shortstop, even if it MIGHT (no definite) be his last year.

Maybe the head coach should pick the starters and the fans could vote on two reserves at each position?

A lot of my area is composed of Reds fans (along with the Cubs and Cardinals) and I've caught a couple of Reds games myself, but I don't really agree with Barry Larkin starting at shortstop, even if it MIGHT (no definite) be his last year.

Maybe the head coach should pick the starters and the fans could vote on two reserves at each position?

Unless Renteria offered or something (and that wouldn't surprise me) Larkin isn't starting at shortstop.

STL FANATIC,

That was the rumor because it could be Larkin's last year and Renteria (supposedly) is a nice guy.

As much as I like Barry, Larkin did not put up All-Star numbers THIS SEASON.

Just because he could be bound for the hall of fame doesn't mean he has to be an all-star every year - starter or reserve.

Giving up his starting spot would be more of an insult to the fans that voted him in and also to Adam Everett (with whom Edgar was engaged in an extremely close vote) than it would be a tribute to Larkin. Therefore, I don't think Edgar would do this.

Giving up his starting spot would be more of an insult to the fans that voted him in and also to Adam Everett (with whom Edgar was engaged in an extremely close vote) than it would be a tribute to Larkin. Therefore, I don't think Edgar would do this.

yhollander,

Agree with you there, I was just stating the rumor was out there.

I don't know if there's ever been a year where it was hard to argue against all of the all-stars selected.

Doubt it will ever happen.

If the All-Star Game is going to continue to be used as a determining factor for World Series home field advantage, I think MLB is going to have to change the system.

The first thing MLB needs to do is get rid of the one player from each team rule. This rule gives the AL a slight advantage since the AL has only 14 teams to the NL's 16. The NL manager has two fewer "at large" players to select because he is saddled with two more mandatory picks to comply with the rule.

I also think that it may be time to do away with fan balloting again. Since it is no longer an exhibition game solely for the fans, I think the managers and players need to select the All-Star teams. There is too much at stake to have some of the previous nonsensical fan selections determine the team.

I think making the All-Star Game the determining factor for home field in the World Series is the dumbest idea Bud Selig has come up with as Commisioner (and that covers some ground). The All-Star game should be an exhibition while the team with the best overall record should get home field for the Series.

Yeah the every team must be represented rule is outdated when their were just 8 teams in each league it was fine now its not.

True Randy Johnson should still go he is deserving, but Livan Hernandez is not the Expos dont have anyone that deserves to be there, neither do the Royals, and a few other teams.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The only way to fix the All Star game(meaning Return it to its past ratings) is to get rid of Interleague play. Any other attempt is just making the sport stranger. That stupid World Series thing gets on my nerves. A Rangers guy hits a home run in the game off an LA Dodger, and it determines that the Yankees get home field. Bleh.

I say use MORE fan voting. These are the people watching the game, go with what they want to see. And the One a team limit? A necessity, in my mind. I think every team should have one player to get maximum intrest out of the game in all markets.

Yikes! The only thing I'd trust less than the fan vote is the coaches picking! Look at who the coach is, and guaranteed, he brings his own guys rather than deserving guys.

This year: Pedro Martinez and Keith Faulk are left out by Torre, who brings Tom Gordon. 2-3, 2 Saves Tom Gordon. The coaches are simply trying to hook up their players, and excluding their rivals.

Baseball needs to decide what the hell; the all-star game IS. Does it count? Is it an exebition where fans get to see their favs? It is an academic honor worthy of contract bonuses? Right now the All Star game is caught in the middle. A horrible, sticky, uncomfortable middle.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

This year: Pedro Martinez and Keith Faulk are left out by Torre, who brings Tom Gordon. 2-3, 2 Saves Tom Gordon. The coaches are simply trying to hook up their players, and excluding their rivals.

Pedro opted out of the All-Star game, so Torre replaced him with the next votegetter among the player voting (who happened to be his best pitcher, Javy Vasquez). Foulke, however, was snubbed.

If I were in charge and a shamelessly poor sport, I'd stack my lineup with Red Sox and have Foulke pitch nine innings :P. That's the other end of giving all that power to the managers.

Archived