Conroy bolts for LA

Brass

What a jerk .... the guy has said he enjoyed playing for and in Calgary, he even comes within one win, one goal even, of winning the holy grail in hockey but that is apparently not good enough for him! I used to like him, he was always so upbeat and excited during his interviews, but now .... I am not so sure about him.

What a jerk .... the guy has said he enjoyed playing for and in Calgary, he even comes within one win, one goal even, of winning the holy grail in hockey but that is apparently not good enough for him! I used to like him, he was always so upbeat and excited during his interviews, but now .... I am not so sure about him.

No, he's a great guy. I'm not sure why he left, but it never sounded like he was gonna be back in Calgary. If your a Flames fan, I'll just throw this out there. Sometime in those four years, the Flames may need all of that money to be able to pay Jerome Iginla.

No, he's a great guy. I'm not sure why he left, but it never sounded like he was gonna be back in Calgary. If your a Flames fan, I'll just throw this out there. Sometime in those four years, the Flames may need all of that money to be able to pay Jerome Iginla.

Unless Commisioner Bettman forces Iginla's party to make him sign a big deal in a big market.

Rough to see Conroy go. So does this mean the green hard hats go too? If so does this mean there will be green added to LA's jersey? :P

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Hey, cool! A post from our elusive Member #1000! :welcome:

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

SPEECH!

SPEECH!

.... Well thank you, I am not sure what to say .... this, this is all so sudden .... There are so many inanimate objects I need to thank. What kind of person would I be today without my Logitech keyboard and optical mouse. I also owe my success to the Samsung monitor sitting in front of me and I cannot forget my glass of water. I am sorry to anything I missed, thank you. :cry:

I don't thing Free Agent situations are indications of "nice guy" or not. the Players Union really frouns on UFA's going for less money somewhere else (I've heard they were unbelieveably pissed off about the Kariya thing).

And, also, on a bit of a tangent, the Players Union also pretty much forces RFA's to go for the offer sheet that wins. Par example, Sacic would have faced stiff reprimands (maybe even expulsion from the union) if he had stayed in Colorado and they had not matched the Rangers offer sheet.

Thusly, the players union needs to get over themselves in a big way.

Well, for better or for worse, that's what being in a union is all about. You have to keep the salaries rising, you have to do what's best for the players and the players only. Are they a bunch of overpaid whiners? Yeah, but this is what unions do all the time.

Thusly, the players union needs to get over themselves in a big way.

Well, for better or for worse, that's what being in a union is all about. You have to keep the salaries rising, you have to do what's best for the players and the players only. Are they a bunch of overpaid whiners? Yeah, but this is what unions do all the time.

This is true, but in every other business you have a set salary, that gradually increases over time, usually with your length of service for that company. Meaning everyone within the salary brackets get paid equally. However, with sports it is all over the board, a guy can be in the league three, four or even five years and be making $5 mil, while another can be in the league for the same length of time and be making half or a third of that. It just does not make any sense!

If you think about it, it does make sense, and it actually could be a lot worse. Certain players get fans to pay the money, thus they are entitled to the money. Would the average fan rather watch (And thus pay tickets for) Jere Lehtinen or Jeremy Roenick?

But, imagine if teams didn't have limitations and ran like a normal market. No draft, no roster limits (The Candiens tonight have 5 goaltenders ready...)No revenue sharing, no trades, etc.

Oh for sure, there are some players that should be paid more money, look at a corporation, you have the high paid CEO's and such, which means your guys like Iginla, Sakic, Forsberg, would be paid more, however with that said, their salaries cannot keep increasing at the rate they do everytime their contracts expire. I think Kelly Hrudey said it best, it is not so much the highly skilled player's salaries where the problem is, it is the average salary for the rest which is unacceptable. I cannot remember precise figures so I will use my own just to prove my point. The average player salary today is in the $3.5 mil range, whereas you look at ten, fifteen, even five years ago, it was considerably less, ie. around $1 mil.

Dave Taylor (GM of LA) and Conroy are both alumni of Clarkson University (which is down the road from my house). Perhaps that had something to do with it?

oakqb4.jpg

Archived