Calgary Flames logo redesign

Quackcom

Makes sense. I just find it really distracting, particularly on the tool holding the "C." Regardless I think this one of the most creative, well rendered attempts at a logo I've seen on here in quite some time. I'd love to see a uniform set designed around this :)

Although the blacksmith tongs are accurate and very well rendered, I do find them distracting and unnecessary.

I'm also not sure about the triangular shape of the logo.

It just doesn't feel very "Calgary-Flame-ish".

If you were to replace Calgary's current flaming "C", with your flaming horseshoe "C" as the main logo, you'd be making a substantial and yet familiar-feeling change, if you know what I mean.

I think that'd be your best bet.

Although the blacksmith tongs are accurate and very well rendered, I do find them distracting and unnecessary.

I'm also not sure about the triangular shape of the logo.

It just doesn't feel very "Calgary-Flame-ish".

If you were to replace Calgary's current flaming "C", with your flaming horseshoe "C" as the main logo, you'd be making a substantial and yet familiar-feeling change, if you know what I mean.

I think that'd be your best bet.

I couldn't agree more.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

I'm impressed and it takes alot to make me happy to see a traditional logo changed so drastically.

I agree, get rid of all the background non-sense. Just keep the horseshoe shape and add some flames to it. Incorporate the old with the new. You don't need tongs or a triangle or a circle or anything else behind the "C".

Cant wait to see another version of this

**Could you replace the white/yellow/black accents around the "C" and make them into flames instead of the WW pattern?

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

• 1 month later...

Alrighty, here is the Calgary Flames logo redesign as a flaming horseshoe.

Any C&C appreciated, thanks.

Calgary_Flames-R3.jpg

I really like this concept. And especially the most recent version. That being said, it still seems to be lacking something. Something in the flames seems a little to flat or tame. And the shape of the horseshoe that you've chosen doesn't lend itself as easily to the C shape as it could. The heels seem too long, typically the style of shoe you've depicted has a standard rounded shape. I think you may have intended the heels to look like caulkins which are like built in "cleats" on the heels and toe of the shoe or a trailer heel which can be found on a cob shoe (although only on the outside side), but even a cob is more round. You can take or leave this information, to the lay person its still gonna be a horseshoe, beautifully rendered.

Shoe with caulkins:

horseshoelarge.jpg

Cob shoe:

Cob-Shoe.jpg

Standard riding shoe:

414-Horseshoe.jpg

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Great info, thanks a bunch hettinger_rl.

A segment of the market will have a similar knowledge of horseshoes so that's a detail that has to be accurate. I'll have a look at the flames as well, maybe the white heat areas need variation.

Guest darkpiranha

The flaming horseshoe is definitely the way to go. 1000 times better. But as stated, there's still something off about it.

A lot of it is the fact that the horseshoe has angled depth to it, but the flame is flat and only coming off of the back face of the horseshoe which looks odd. Plus, the angle of both the rotation of the C and the angling of the depth interact funkily with the direction the flames are going. My brain is having trouble figuring out what direction the logo's movement is supposed to be heading. Also, the flames themselves are a bit formless and rounded, and the shapes seem random as opposed to being deliberate, like on the current logo. I think overall, maybe try a more definitive horseshoe and flame. Sharper edges.

Here is my second kick at the can incorporating the feedback, see what you think.

I just read kewp80's comments and may rework the shape on another pass—Trivial Pursuit, that's hilarious—I was thinking more superman.

Thanks everyone for all the input, it's a great help.

Calgary_Flames-R2.jpg

Here is another version with the horseshoe/flames reworked...

Calgary_Flames_logo-R4.jpg

Insert the new horseshoe into the old flames. Those flames were great. And use the white lines leading into the white portion of the flames, even if it means making the shoe red.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Guest darkpiranha

Insert the new horseshoe into the old flames. Those flames were great. And use the white lines leading into the white portion of the flames, even if it means making the shoe red.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the original styling and colors of the horseshoe tried with your current shoe.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the original styling and colors of the horseshoe tried with your current shoe.

thirded

Archived