Established Logos ReUsed For Sports Teams

Sean F&F

The new Raptor's logo got me thinking, I wonder how the Jurassic Park logo (modified from T Rex to Raptor) would work for them?

Now, I was too lazy to do a manip of it, but it also got me thinking, I wonder how many already established logos of non sport teams would work well for current teams?

Canadian junior hockey teams do this all the time, with only a few examples here- and not just imitating NHL teams (too many of those to list here, which likely began in the era when they had direct affiliations with NHL teams).

gensfqyqpt4df3w7ktf5zc0sy.gifh8qdofhiej1n85yh40g3mioeg.gifa2qp80qs45vgzg3fzt9o6tqh2.giff3xeiegrl8i0ro4gc9s00fem5.gifpgj6vefkdnn4ohrqge1od5gk2.gif

511272332002.gif1k63ytxtujvhhsahpwcbg0qp4.giftbgma0g9hewnpv1b7etctbfzn.gifezwo8o1ejip6fwbmomcigvojy.gif0c0kmeaazjegf1ns69lyq94xx.gif

Many of these are copies from other minor league teams (sometimes adjusted slightly), but other sources include football and basketball teams, Ferrari, and the Canadian dime.

As I've pointed out previously, some well-known major league logos started out bearing a close resemblance to the "Indian Head" American nickel.

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

No, not really.

If you're referring to my Sounders/Sonics post, come on, team name across the middle of the space needle. Pretty obvious isn't it?

Considering it's literally the same building, it's remarkable how different they are.

Pretty similar, so, yes. I understand the point of this thread to be re-using old logos for new ones. And while neither is an exact replica, both use very similar elements and thus I would considered them at least "borrowed" or heavily influenced. The Sounders/Sonics much more than the example you provided since the elements and placement are much more consistent in my example than yours.

All I'm saying is that if I was the designer of the Sonics logo above, I'd have at least been given pause when seeing the very similar Sounders logo. And, since the Sounders came in just as the Sonics were leaving town, I wouldn't doubt the Space Needle's inclusion in the logo was purposeful as it was a tie in to the pre-Schultz, much loved, Sonics era. Smart on their part.

That's pretty funny - I just ran your theory by three friends of mine in Seattle (2 big sports fans, one not so much), and nobody made that connection. If anything, that Space Needle logo represented the worst of the Sonics - they all said that the prior skyline logo was the beloved one. If the Sounders were trying to create an emotional connection, they chose the wrong target.

I think "very similar" is a bit of a reach.

Using the same famous local landmark does not constitute imitation- for example, Paris St-Germain does not (and should not) have exclusive rights to the image of the Eiffel Tower. hzgunkh343rdlm9u1479ezime.gif However, they could claim imitation/infringement if someone used their stylised image of it.

The examples I provided (Canadian junior hockey and American nickel) were obvious cases of using the very same artwork, sometimes altering it a little.

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

Two founding members of the Midwest Indoor Lacrosse Association (now called the Continental Indoor Lacrosse League), Chicago and Grand Rapids, use repurposed logos (although both teams have since tweaked them to be slightly less obvious ripoffs). The Chicago Outlaws logo is based on the old USFL Oklahoma/Arizona Outlaws, while the Grand Rapids Dragonfish took their logo from something out of The Simpsons. In addition, the Pittsburgh Octane once used Oregon's "O" logo before switching to a new one, and a team announced for Lincoln, NE as the "Fighting Perkins" would have used a recolored and slightly altered version of this T-shirt design - itself an appropriation of the Kool-Aid logo - had it survived long enough to assemble a roster.

CCSLC signature.png

That's pretty funny - I just ran your theory by three friends of mine in Seattle (2 big sports fans, one not so much), and nobody made that connection. If anything, that Space Needle logo represented the worst of the Sonics - they all said that the prior skyline logo was the beloved one. If the Sounders were trying to create an emotional connection, they chose the wrong target.

I think "very similar" is a bit of a reach.

The logo prior also had the Space Needle (in addition to the Seattle skyline). As for worst, worst look I'd agree but they were arguable the best during that run with multiple 60 win seasons and a trip to the finals.

Archived