Timberwolves Concept Uniforms

R3G

Before I post I wanted to give a shoutout to a couple people; @itsmb8 for the template idea, @Daniel_Ramone for the template, @Conrad.(?) for the logo in the back, and obviously the Timberwolves for the pattern.

I came into this idea wanting to incorporate a modern style into a retro look for the Wolves. I liked the pattern from their post previewing their release tomorrow and wanted to incorporate it into the design. I found a modern font "Daggersquare" to use for the numbers and the name, and went with the idea I had. I really wanted to go ahead with the use of lime green as an accent more as a touch to the scheme than a focal point, but I also wanted to use it for a "Forest" alternate. I also went ahead with using a light grey and a white simultaneously to keep it fresh. I'm pretty proud of the first versions, but I'm obviously open to C&C and will revise it.

Home Uniform

Home.thumb.png.b37ba1bb07cc8046b889eed8fd04fd89.png

Away Uniform

Away.thumb.png.9492d5431322541f4477b99082330ef8.png

"Midnight" Alternate

58ec375e472bd_MidnightAlt.thumb.png.3a9b03fe0b21eac38f918bb4fd2279b3.png

"Forest" Alternate

58ec3755dfb65_ForestAlternate.thumb.png.df6e57290bc4c9b9bb2d6841b75b2aaa.png

Blue-Green Alternate

58ec374dbc09c_blue-greenalt.thumb.png.c41db45afac910aa910d078a445c701b.png

signature.png

Check out my Instagram page! 9.5k strong! @RileyGissemanArt

You have a good design here, no doubt. I think if you were to work in more color it wouldn't hurt, like maybe in the side panels. I feel like, and this is no knock on you by any means, that whatever the t-wolves come out with is gonna be a massive disappointment, especially with the potential their brand has to create some seriously awesome uniforms. 

Good start here! 

The home and away uniforms are clean, and they definitely feel like a modernized version of their original set. The sublimated tree pattern on the side panels is a nice touch, and very similar to what I expect we'll actually see when their uniforms are unveiled. I also really like the subtly of the Midnight alternate.

The Forest alternate, on the other hand, is what I've been bracing myself for since the announcement re: lime green being introduced into their new color palette. The blue-green alternate isn't as abrasive, but still too much green for my tastes. Having worked on some Timberwolves concepts of my own recently, I've found that the lime green is an easy color to use too much or too little of -- anything other than just the right amount instantly looks off.

In terms of improvements, I agree with @Daredevil in that the away uniform needs a 'MINNESOTA' script (or even the dreaded 'MPLS' script) as well as the fact that the new logo can be incorporated once it's unveiled this evening. I also think the name on back could benefit from some adjusting -- 'Anthony-Towns' doesn't lend itself well to determining how it looks to begin with, but the lower-case letters feel kind of strange here. Finally, I think the side piping on the shorts would make more sense if it extended up through the waistband to create continuity with the side piping on the jerseys.

Some interesting visuals in this thread -- I'll be excited to see where you take it and how it compares to their actual design. Thanks for sharing!

Just a nitpick, KAT's first name is hyphenated not his last name so it's Karl-Anthony Towns not Karl Anthony-Towns.

I'd also try to incorporate the lighter blue found in the new logo rather than overdo the lime green which I believe should be used as an accent color only.

I would change the NOB to all caps, for starters.  I think you did a decent job with what you have to work with.  Like others have said, a logo is definitely needed, somewhere on the shorts.  I also (IMO) don't think there is a need for the midnight alternate.  I actually had to scroll back and forth between that and your primary road to even see what the difference was.  Doesn't seem necessary or that it adds anything to the set.  On that note, I also don't think you even need two blue jerseys.  I'm not a fan, in general, of teams having two jerseys that are the same color, but that's just me.  I would take the navy alt and make that the primary away, and ditch what you current are using as the primary away.

But you know what, I really like how you incorporated the tree pattern on the side panels.  That looks really tasteful and doesn't look too busy.

I don't like the font you are using but I think you are just using that font because that's what was shown in the "leak," so you probably didn't really "choose" to use that font.  I think that font is too "tame" and "artificial" for a team with a name like "Timberwolves."

Wow, lots of feedback, this is awesome! I'll go through and respond to each before posting my first revision based off of the feedback I got and the new logo being released.

On 4/10/2017 at 8:12 PM, kcoslett17 said:

You have a good design here, no doubt. I think if you were to work in more color it wouldn't hurt, like maybe in the side panels. I feel like, and this is no knock on you by any means, that whatever the t-wolves come out with is gonna be a massive disappointment, especially with the potential their brand has to create some seriously awesome uniforms. 

Thank you! I tried to incorporate more color and variety into the revision. I ended up using a small gradient on the sides, and I'm not 100% on how it looks, so I'm posting it with the gradient here first to see if you guys like it. Personally, I don't love the new logo, but it's what I'll roll with, I guess. 

15 hours ago, Daredevil said:

You should put 'Minnesota' on the away and the green alt. Otherwise, not terrible. It needs a logo or two.

Done!

13 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

Good start here! 

The home and away uniforms are clean, and they definitely feel like a modernized version of their original set. The sublimated tree pattern on the side panels is a nice touch, and very similar to what I expect we'll actually see when their uniforms are unveiled. I also really like the subtly of the Midnight alternate.

The Forest alternate, on the other hand, is what I've been bracing myself for since the announcement re: lime green being introduced into their new color palette. The blue-green alternate isn't as abrasive, but still too much green for my tastes. Having worked on some Timberwolves concepts of my own recently, I've found that the lime green is an easy color to use too much or too little of -- anything other than just the right amount instantly looks off.

In terms of improvements, I agree with @Daredevil in that the away uniform needs a 'MINNESOTA' script (or even the dreaded 'MPLS' script) as well as the fact that the new logo can be incorporated once it's unveiled this evening. I also think the name on back could benefit from some adjusting -- 'Anthony-Towns' doesn't lend itself well to determining how it looks to begin with, but the lower-case letters feel kind of strange here. Finally, I think the side piping on the shorts would make more sense if it extended up through the waistband to create continuity with the side piping on the jerseys.

Some interesting visuals in this thread -- I'll be excited to see where you take it and how it compares to their actual design. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you! That was very nice. I'm 50/50 on the green alternates. I like some aspects of them but at the same time I feel the need to tame it down... a lot. I added Minnesota on the Away, and fixed 'Towns' (since it's not actually Anthony-Towns) by changing that and making it all upper case. Lowercase was a bad forethought that I didn't ever think over. This makes it look much more professional. I didn't end up changing the piping, but I think I will in time. Thanks for the awesome C&C!

9 hours ago, lbj273 said:

Just a nitpick, KAT's first name is hyphenated not his last name so it's Karl-Anthony Towns not Karl Anthony-Towns.

I'd also try to incorporate the lighter blue found in the new logo rather than overdo the lime green which I believe should be used as an accent color only.

I'm an idiot lol. I knew it was Karl-Anthony, I just went dumb while I made this haha. Thanks for correcting that. Added the lighter blue! I didn't know at the time that there would be two shades of blue. Hopefully exchanging a lot of the uniform from Lime green to the lighter blue makes it look better.

9 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

I would change the NOB to all caps, for starters.  I think you did a decent job with what you have to work with.  Like others have said, a logo is definitely needed, somewhere on the shorts.  I also (IMO) don't think there is a need for the midnight alternate.  I actually had to scroll back and forth between that and your primary road to even see what the difference was.  Doesn't seem necessary or that it adds anything to the set.  On that note, I also don't think you even need two blue jerseys.  I'm not a fan, in general, of teams having two jerseys that are the same color, but that's just me.  I would take the navy alt and make that the primary away, and ditch what you current are using as the primary away.

But you know what, I really like how you incorporated the tree pattern on the side panels.  That looks really tasteful and doesn't look too busy.

I don't like the font you are using but I think you are just using that font because that's what was shown in the "leak," so you probably didn't really "choose" to use that font.  I think that font is too "tame" and "artificial" for a team with a name like "Timberwolves."

Fixed the name! Thank you! I added a logo, and it was a much needed touch. I didn't update the Midnight but I may try something to make it more unique and less like the others. More like an Alternate. Welp. I changed the only thing you liked about it. Hopefully this still looks as good. The font is kinda inevitable, like you said, but I changed the 'Wolves' font so it would match the new logo. 

Anyway, thanks all for the C&C. Here's v2!

Home

58eda916535b8_Homev2.thumb.png.faf869617f78159a47fb49a13f4b2221.png

Away

58edad23e11db_Awayv2.1.thumb.png.d3957a0938473716f8dadd7c247e3501.png

signature.png

I can deal with the sublimation as you've done here.  Nice job.  I like the blue-green alt.  I think these bottom uniforms need some green outlines...particularly the white uniform.  I also don't think the logo looks right on the shorts.  They'd either need an alternate or no logo at all.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 minute ago, OnWis97 said:

I can deal with the sublimation as you've done here.  Nice job.  I like the blue-green alt.  I think these bottom uniforms need some green outlines...particularly the white uniform.  I also don't think the logo looks right on the shorts.  They'd either need an alternate or no logo at all.

Thank you! I tried green outlines. It looks waayy too much like the Seahawks uniforms so I couldn't make myself do that. I agree on the logo though, it was killing me to not have an alternate to work with. 

signature.png

11 minutes ago, R3G said:

Thank you! I tried green outlines. It looks waayy too much like the Seahawks uniforms so I couldn't make myself do that. I agree on the logo though, it was killing me to not have an alternate to work with. 

With the bottom two uniforms, the dark uniform looks a bit better because of the outline.  Maybe gray for the home uniform?

Also, with the missing cross-bar on the "A," I hope they don't even use "Minnesota" on the road.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Excellent revisions! The new color balance has a much better feel to it, as there's plenty of contrast without any unnecessary clutter. The gradients are incredibly subtle, but a nice touch when I look for them. I agree a green outline could be beneficial for the away uniform, but I understand your Seahawks-related reservations. Only other suggestion, aside from perhaps switching the logos to an alternate once their unveiled, would be to remove the North Star belt buckle logo since it's redundant with the neckline logo.

I like them!

Thought: notice the two shades of blue in logo (ball and wolf/border). I was wondering how it would look to have both blues on the home unis on the side panels, on trees. Like 'up trees' one shade, 'down trees' other. (Maybe could do same on away, with white and gray?)

Also, what about a green outline numbers/words around home unis. The same outline that you used for collar/side panel. Also I'd say keep same border on away

18 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

With the bottom two uniforms, the dark uniform looks a bit better because of the outline.  Maybe gray for the home uniform?

Also, with the missing cross-bar on the "A," I hope they don't even use "Minnesota" on the road.

I agree on the Minnesota wordmark, but I'm going more for a guess of what the uniform will look like more than what it SHOULD look like. Anyway, I do have a grey outline on the home. It's pretty subtle, though. I'll post what it looks like with the green but I'm still very against it because of the eventual "Minnesota Timberhawks" comments.

6 hours ago, Hoopladawg87 said:

Excellent revisions! The new color balance has a much better feel to it, as there's plenty of contrast without any unnecessary clutter. The gradients are incredibly subtle, but a nice touch when I look for them. I agree a green outline could be beneficial for the away uniform, but I understand your Seahawks-related reservations. Only other suggestion, aside from perhaps switching the logos to an alternate once their unveiled, would be to remove the North Star belt buckle logo since it's redundant with the neckline logo.

Thank you! I'll make the gradients a little more prominent in my next revision. I'm also going to change the shorts logo to one of the partial logos that @Conrad. made. And I agree on the belt logo, and when I was originally making this, it just didn't feel right. I'll probably one of the partial logos there too.

1 hour ago, NotFromBuffalo said:

*claps*

*bows* thanks!

11 minutes ago, kungfuman104 said:

I like them!

Thought: notice the two shades of blue in logo (ball and wolf/border). I was wondering how it would look to have both blues on the home unis on the side panels, on trees. Like 'up trees' one shade, 'down trees' other. (Maybe could do same on away, with white and gray?)

Also, what about a green outline numbers/words around home unis. The same outline that you used for collar/side panel. Also I'd say keep same border on away

Thank you! I like the idea and it was actually offered on Reddit when I posted this, and so I'm almost surely going to do it, but it's a little complicated since I'll have to completely remake the paneling because I (stupidly) rasterized it lol. I'll get it in on the next update. I talk about the outline a little above, but I hate how much it looks like the Seahawks uniforms, which is why I haven't done it yet. 

Other than these revisions, I think I'll add a faded logo on the back to give it more texture, and maybe try something crazy.. we'll see.

signature.png

On 4/11/2017 at 11:32 PM, R3G said:

Wow, lots of feedback, this is awesome! I'll go through and respond to each before posting my first revision based off of the feedback I got and the new logo being released.

Thank you! I tried to incorporate more color and variety into the revision. I ended up using a small gradient on the sides, and I'm not 100% on how it looks, so I'm posting it with the gradient here first to see if you guys like it. Personally, I don't love the new logo, but it's what I'll roll with, I guess. 

Done!

Thank you! That was very nice. I'm 50/50 on the green alternates. I like some aspects of them but at the same time I feel the need to tame it down... a lot. I added Minnesota on the Away, and fixed 'Towns' (since it's not actually Anthony-Towns) by changing that and making it all upper case. Lowercase was a bad forethought that I didn't ever think over. This makes it look much more professional. I didn't end up changing the piping, but I think I will in time. Thanks for the awesome C&C!

I'm an idiot lol. I knew it was Karl-Anthony, I just went dumb while I made this haha. Thanks for correcting that. Added the lighter blue! I didn't know at the time that there would be two shades of blue. Hopefully exchanging a lot of the uniform from Lime green to the lighter blue makes it look better.

Fixed the name! Thank you! I added a logo, and it was a much needed touch. I didn't update the Midnight but I may try something to make it more unique and less like the others. More like an Alternate. Welp. I changed the only thing you liked about it. Hopefully this still looks as good. The font is kinda inevitable, like you said, but I changed the 'Wolves' font so it would match the new logo. 

Anyway, thanks all for the C&C. Here's v2!

Home

58eda916535b8_Homev2.thumb.png.faf869617f78159a47fb49a13f4b2221.png

Away

58edad23e11db_Awayv2.1.thumb.png.d3957a0938473716f8dadd7c247e3501.png

These are gorgeous man!!!

shado_logo.gif

Archived