Jags in all black

CrookedThumb

Uh... I don't think so... to me, all-black screams NEW ZEALAND RUGBY TEAM... has no business being an AOC uniform in the NFL. The Jags look would suck no matter what goddawful striping is on those pants.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

[Warning: this is gonna get a little graphic]

Two words: crotch sweat. I think that is why NFL players don't like white pants; the same reason you usually can't find men's athletic shorts in colors like white or khaki. Note that most of the teams who've adopted AOC uniforms at home had white pants (Seahawks were supposed to wear white pants at home, but "player revolt" led to the AOC unis).

I also read an article that minority players have a hard time finding jock straps that match their skin tone, so this looks weird under white pants. However, I think they make jocks to match a wide range of skin tones now, and I suspect a lot of football players don't care that much.

I can't believe I'm going down this path, but with regard to the crotch sweat issue, don't most NFL players wear some sort of compression shorts (that UnderArmour stuff) between their jocks and their pants?

Oh, and for the original topic at hand, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who found something just a little bit odd about the color of the Jag's black jerseys last night.  I couldn't tell if they were midnight green or black, but the comparison to an oil stain was pretty much right on.  Something just wasn't right - and how do you screw up black to the point it's almost indistinguishable?

I remeber a little while ago nike made tennis shorts that were kinda beige, Jim Courier wore them and apparently when the players sweated the beige went erm darker brown, and made it look like erm well the player had :censored: themselves! Didn't take more than a couple of matches before players stopped wearing those!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I also noticed that the black wasn't purely black too...more like Havoline motoroil to me. This AOC schemes as well as pants that don't match the rest of the uniform (black Jags pants , Bills blue pants, Bengals black pants are a few I can name) make the NFL look like a rag-tag football league. A leaue in which players, who often have no clue how to dress themselves in normal clothes, dress themselves to look like fools and in the process make the NFL look like a breeding post for ugly uniform and uniform combinations. Only in the NFL do you get fined $5,000 for not having your uniform tucked in all the way, but no fine for looking like a complete dumbass.

Actually, I'm of a mind that the Jacksonville Jaguars' uniforms are fine just the way that they are. Oh, you might try to standardize the jersey striping a bit more... i.e. having BOTH the collar and the sleeve cuffs be two-color. However, I've never found anything wrong with the current Black helmet/Teal or White jersey/White pants combo.

The alternate jerseys in the NFL are no different than the alternates/thirds in other sports: they are merchandising cash-grabs, pure and simple. "Let's come up with another garish, poorly-designed alternate so that we can then produce authentics and replicas to peddle to the brain-dead, uniform-completist masses." It SICKENS me! If these leagues need to generate revenue so badly, let them keep producing and selling their so-called "alternates" as what they are: "fashion" jerseys. Just don't sully the field of play with them.

I'm proud to say that I don't own a single "alternate/third" in my entire authentic jersey collection. I simply refuse. A team plays home and road games... so home and road jerseys should suffice.

Stop the INSANITY!!!

Brian in Boston

Archived