capn89's NHL (03/27/2015 - Flames Stuffffff)

capn89

Home & Away: A lot of original six traditionalists probably won't like these, but this series isn't about pleasing everyone, it's about changing up what already exists while still creating a good look. For starters the primary logo is completely recolored. While I do think the Blackhawks have one of THE best jerseys (the red one) in the NHL, I have never been all that big of a fan of the logo. I've always felt it had too many colors and felt "busy." That being said, the team is still named after an indian tribe so the logo needed to stay. I colored the face with a beige/tan color (seen on the alternate) and altered the hair, feathers and face paint to stick within a 4-color palette (red, black, white, tan). Both jerseys remain quite similar to what the team actually wears, save for minor changes. The striping on the red jersey is similar on the sleeves but lessened on the hem. The numbers are now black with white trim as opposed to white with black trim. The white jersey now mirrors the red jersey in that the black stripes are in the same location and the "extra" red stripes are basically where the red coloring begins on the home jersey. The white is, for the most part, a replication of the Blackhawks actual road jersey with the red and black stripes switched. For a team that favored such an abundance of red on its home jersey I always felt there was too much black on the road.

Alternate: The alternate is a re-imagining of a really old Blackhawks design I did. It features the primary jerseys' shoulder logo as the main crest as well as the elimination of white in favor of beige/tan.

12482524273_529097fe54_o.png

Home & Away: I like to refer to this set as the "blacker-hawks" set. While red still remains the primary color, and the design is similar to set 1, it features a LOT more black on both jerseys.

Alternate: For the alternate, I decided to do a loose reproduction of Chicago's 1927-28 jerseys while sprinkling in an element (the logo overlapping the striping) from the 1956-57 jerseys. The modern indian head logo can be found on the pants while the primary crest is recolored from the Blackhawks' 2009 alternate jersey.

12482388805_cabbd52f90_o.png

Home & Away: There is nothing about these uniforms that has ever been seen in the NHL before. They feature a completely unique design that is something I have toyed with for years in different incarnations and I think I have finally nailed it.

Alternate: While roundels, as primary logos, are either loved or hated (there is no middle ground), I actually love the way the overall look of this uniform turned out. While keeping the sleeve and hem stripes traditional still would have looked great, adding the slant to them really helps scream uniquely Predators. I feel this is a perfect mix of classic and modern.

12482866824_9799cc8761_o.png

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the 2nd set better for the Hawks. That alternate jersey is what I'd like to see them wear in the next Winter Classic there in.

That being said, I feel like the Perds don't need the shoulder yokes. It adds a bit of clutter to a nearly perfect concept. I really like the pants though. The whole fang stripes thing looks great. As for the alternate, lose the roundel, it's not needed. The NP logo looks fine on its own. I'd also make the font a bit fatter on the home and away.

Keep it up capn89, and I hope we see something new shortly.

:wub:(dance):boogie:(bow):jawdrop::censored:(sleepz):puke::woot::sleeping::hockeysmiley::therock::oops:

I think I like smilies too much!

• 1 month later...

Here is my take on the Winnipeg Jets.

Home & Away: For the primary jerseys in this set I wanted to go with something simple and classy. Keeping with the Jets minimalistic use of red, the jerseys are predominantly blue, white and gray. I toyed with using red outside of just the logos, within the striping, and everything I tried only made the jerseys look like a muddled mess.

Alternate: With the alternate jersey, my primary goal was to find a way to mash-up the original Winnipeg Jets with their modern counterpart. In doing so I decided that creating a logo using elements of both eras would be the best place to start. The logo harkens back to the original Jets' roundel logo with "Winnipeg" appearing above a stylized "Jets" wordmark where the "J" represents a hockey stick. In the original logo a jet appears to the left of the "J" hockey stick, in my design I used the new jet design as the cross of the "T." As well I have included a gray/silver maple leaf, subtly, as a backdrop to the entire logo. As for the uniform itself, it is also a mix of old and new as the design takes the old jets uniforms and gives them a modern touch.

12813783815_57da489c9a_o.png

12813780053_7d23a801c0_o.png

I like the 2nd set better for the Hawks. That alternate jersey is what I'd like to see them wear in the next Winter Classic there in.

That being said, I feel like the Perds don't need the shoulder yokes. It adds a bit of clutter to a nearly perfect concept. I really like the pants though. The whole fang stripes thing looks great. As for the alternate, lose the roundel, it's not needed. The NP logo looks fine on its own. I'd also make the font a bit fatter on the home and away.

Keep it up capn89, and I hope we see something new shortly.

Thanks a lot for the comments. As you know (since I sent you a pm) I modified the Predators based on your ideas. Eventually, once I post the rest of this series, I will share the changes (as well as other work).

Saw these up on the website, and I like them a bunch. The grey works so well, but I'd add some red trim in there on the home and away, similar to how the Patriots use it. I love the alternate logo (great way to mix eras). Can't wait to see whatever team you post next.

:wub:(dance):boogie:(bow):jawdrop::censored:(sleepz):puke::woot::sleeping::hockeysmiley::therock::oops:

I think I like smilies too much!

• 3 weeks later...

The only problem I see with that Jets third is that the "J" and "s" disappear into the dark blue of the jersey. Maybe put a thicker stroke around the script.

Gonna disagree with SuperLeafsFan on the Preds set. I think the shoulder yokes really help to balance the colour scheme out. All that yellow could be overpowering, but there's enough navy to keep that balance in place. Love the pointy teeth striping on this. Overall you've got a great, modern look that's also befitting of the name :D

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

• 1 month later...

Home & Away: For the primary jerseys in this set I decided to get rid of the orca logo that has been used as the primary crest since 1997 and replace it with the modern version of the "C" stick-in-rink logo. The shoulders of the jerseys also feature the Johnny Canuck "V" logo. The design of the jerseys themselves, while simple, is meant to pay homage to the "V" sleeve striping pattern that has been seen in various incarnations on many of the Canucks jerseys throughout the decades.

Alternate: This uniform, in design, is meant to throwback to the original Canucks uniforms, though with the primary color being green rather than blue. The original stick-in-rink logo has now been replaced with a new roundel logo featuring an old school Johnny Canuck.

13541916724_f775bd4060_o.png

Home & Away: The primary jerseys, stylistically, are nothing outside of the box; a simple, three-stripe arm and hem design with a modern twist in the look of the shoulder yoke. I haven't been a huge fan of the Kings' current primary logo, so on this set it has been relegated to a secondary logo on the main uniforms.

Alternate: This jersey is an updated/tweaked version of an older design of mine for the Kings. Originally the design was primarily black with white, silver and purple accents, and it featured the crossed hockey sticks shield logo. I think this new take on the design comes off a lot cleaner. The shoulder yoke is a modified version of that seen on the primary jerseys and the "LA" banner logo is now the primary crest.

13584073013_63a9ab3441_o.png

Home & Away: The uniforms in this set pay homage to a mix of the Kings' eras. The color-scheme (purple and silver) are a mix of their original purple (1967-88) and silver (used from 1988 on). The primary jerseys are a mirror of the jerseys seen in the first set with the black replaced entirely by purple.

Alternate: For the alternate jersey I decided to go even farther with the mixing of eras and mocked up a modified version of the Kings' 1980-88 jerseys (originally purple and yellow) with the purple and silver color scheme.

13584036755_6b7be37224_o.png

The only problem I see with that Jets third is that the "J" and "s" disappear into the dark blue of the jersey. Maybe put a thicker stroke around the script.

Gonna disagree with SuperLeafsFan on the Preds set. I think the shoulder yokes really help to balance the colour scheme out. All that yellow could be overpowering, but there's enough navy to keep that balance in place. Love the pointy teeth striping on this. Overall you've got a great, modern look that's also befitting of the name :D

Noted. I will definitely adjust the thickness around the script on the Jets alternate logo and repost at some point.

Thanks for your thoughts on the Preds. I guess the best way to have people judge is to have the current version and the modified version side by side and see what looks better. I will post that in time.

Every single concept looks great. Great job!

Thank you. :)

Saw these up on the website, and I like them a bunch. The grey works so well, but I'd add some red trim in there on the home and away, similar to how the Patriots use it. I love the alternate logo (great way to mix eras). Can't wait to see whatever team you post next.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts as well as checking everything out on the blog. :)

Nice to see this back. You did a great job with the Jets. Nice and understated.

Thanks a lot, Morgo! :)

I like the Kings, but the Canucks look funny with that type of arm striping on the home and away. I get what you were going for, and it doesn't work for me.

I actually did these really early on in the project but had completely forgotten to upload them so I would definitely look in to going back and changing some things up, for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Home & Away: For the primary jerseys I decided to take the striping elements of the Redwings 2014 Winter Classic jerseys and use them to create two, completely new jerseys. On the home, red jersey the numbers honor the actually Redwings jerseys with the arched names on the back, while the road, white jersey features a nameplate with a straight name under the shoulder stripes. For the keen-eyed out there you might also notice that the winged-wheel logo has been modified and modernized from their actual logo. While the Redwings' logo is a classic, I felt it could keep its look and feel while still getting some slight alterations.

Alternate: The alternate jersey is a really, really old design of mine. So old, in fact, that I originally created it during the BFBS (black for black's sake) era of uniform design. In fact, the original version of this was used as a home and away and featured red, white, black and silver! (At some point I will mock up the original on my new template and share it.) This incarnation is decidedly less busy, only using red and vintage white. The pants, also vintage white, are used as both a throwback to the old days of hockey as well as an element to break up all of the red in the uniform.

13584073313_4f043e97ea_o.png

Home & Away: Some might say this is the NFL's Denver Broncos meets the Detroit Redwings. The Wings are a classic, original six team, but I decided to throw caution to the wind and create something completely outside of the box for this set.

Alternate: The alternate is a modified version of the Redwings 2014 Winter Classic jersey. The striping has been switched up a bit and the shoulders are completely different. The primary logo has been changed to an arched "REDWINGS" over the old-style "D" logo.

13584073283_d9f392b027_o.png

Archived