MIAMI! - Every Team is About the City

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Steve03Merc

Steve03Merc

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted November 3, 2012 - 20:30

The orange Marlins jersey says the team name...

#22 goforbroke

goforbroke

• Members
  • 1,485 posts

• Favourite Logos:Houston Texans
      Super Bowl XXXVI
      Super Bowl XLIV
      Minnesota Wild
      New Orleans Hornets (Fleur de Bee)

Posted November 5, 2012 - 11:54

I think New York city is probably the most City-centric example of this... in most of the 4 major sports teams in NYC (including the Islanders and Nets but not the Devils) the visiua/branding focus is much more on the city than the nickname..

Knicks and Nets have city on home and aways
Yankees have NY on home and city on away
Mets have New York on roads plus their nickname really is about the City anyway
Giants and Jets both have the oppurtunity to have mascot/litteral imagery of nickname but instead choose to go with NY logos
Islanders logo has giant NY and small "Islanders"

So really the Rangers are the only team that focuses more on the name Rangers than the city name, having Rangers on both home and roads, but even they don't really play-up a western rangers theme its really just wordmarks outside of a badge shaped logo with wordmarks, and their (now-rarely seen) secondary logo is the Statue of Liberty.

WHICH brings me to a point i made a few times about the Nets logo and it having no Net.... its really a trend in NY area teams to not have a literal image in the logo. Almost every team really has a stylized wordmark of some kind as their logo. None use mascot or litteral imagery. The closest a team would have to a traditional non-wordmark logo is the Mets with the skyline and bridge

#NewYorkJacked
Posted Image

#23 BgMack27

BgMack27
  • U of Florida '03 (Telecomm) - FAU '08/'14 (MBA/MHA)

• Members
  • 3,526 posts
    • Location:Born in Palo Alto, CA - left immediately for Milwaukee, WI - then Ft. Lauderdale, FL - then Atlanta, GA - back to FL again - then Chicago, IL, now West Palm Beach, FL....it's a long story....

• Favourite Logos:I like a lot of the logos from the early 90s. My signature is proof of that (and a representation of my favorite teams).

Posted November 6, 2012 - 12:43

I think New York city is probably the most City-centric example of this... in most of the 4 major sports teams in NYC (including the Islanders and Nets but not the Devils) the visiua/branding focus is much more on the city than the nickname..

Knicks and Nets have city on home and aways
Yankees have NY on home and city on away
Mets have New York on roads plus their nickname really is about the City anyway
Giants and Jets both have the oppurtunity to have mascot/litteral imagery of nickname but instead choose to go with NY logos
Islanders logo has giant NY and small "Islanders"

So really the Rangers are the only team that focuses more on the name Rangers than the city name, having Rangers on both home and roads, but even they don't really play-up a western rangers theme its really just wordmarks outside of a badge shaped logo with wordmarks, and their (now-rarely seen) secondary logo is the Statue of Liberty.

WHICH brings me to a point i made a few times about the Nets logo and it having no Net.... its really a trend in NY area teams to not have a literal image in the logo. Almost every team really has a stylized wordmark of some kind as their logo. None use mascot or litteral imagery. The closest a team would have to a traditional non-wordmark logo is the Mets with the skyline and bridge

#NewYorkJacked

Maybe we're heading towards an era where the city is the focus instead of the nickname in the way that Europe's soccer teams are? Maybe it has something to do with hip hop, and how all the rappers like to yell out their area codes and cities? I have no idea, but I'm a big fan of the nickname standing out over the city name.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown

CCSLCNewResized_zps2e938cd9.png

Check out my articles on jerseys at BaconSports.com - twitter-mini-logo.png - instagram-logo-copy.gif - LinkedIn_Logo16px.png

#24 the admiral

the admiral
  • Empty calories, empty posts

• Members
  • 19,609 posts

Posted November 6, 2012 - 14:34

Maybe it has something to do with hip hop, and how all the rappers like to yell out their area codes and cities?

Mayhaps it does!
The females in the establishment start admiring Dirty for his assets, which just causes Dirty to return to the situation at hand: his money. He asks for the females' assistance in rectifying the situation, and subsequently asks them to expose their nether regions. Dirty finishes off the song with some nonsensical lyrics, that clearly imply his rising anger for the missing money.

#25 jigokusabre

jigokusabre

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted November 7, 2012 - 20:57

The Marlins wore the team name on their road jerseys for two years, so I would imagine that they'll have the city name on the home jerseys for two years.

#26 mjrbaseball

mjrbaseball
  • I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

• Members
  • 1,754 posts

Posted November 7, 2012 - 22:13

Re the Dolphins: the Dolphin wears a helmet with an "M" on it rather than a proper helmet. Would that be considered city emphasis?
Posted Image

#27 the admiral

the admiral

• Members
  • 19,609 posts

Posted November 7, 2012 - 22:14

Tell me more about the proper helmet for a dolphin.
The females in the establishment start admiring Dirty for his assets, which just causes Dirty to return to the situation at hand: his money. He asks for the females' assistance in rectifying the situation, and subsequently asks them to expose their nether regions. Dirty finishes off the song with some nonsensical lyrics, that clearly imply his rising anger for the missing money.

#28 mjrbaseball

mjrbaseball

• Members
  • 1,754 posts

Posted November 8, 2012 - 02:17

The proper helmet is the one the team actually uses.
Posted Image

#29 the admiral

the admiral

• Members
  • 19,609 posts

Posted November 8, 2012 - 08:08

Okay. Now someone post the Miami Dolphins infinite regression gif and get me some mescaline; I want to make this a day to remember.

#30 zpqmaowl

zpqmaowl
  • Not a member

• Members
  • 2,225 posts

• Favourite Logos:2012 Stanley Cup Champions

Posted November 8, 2012 - 15:12

Posted Image

#31 The Mojo Maniac

The Mojo Maniac

• Members
  • 535 posts

• Favourite Logos:Seattle Mariners, Seattle Seahawks, Vancouver Canucks stick-in-rink, San Diego Padres swinging friar, Miami Marlins, Houston Astros current, Portland Beavers 2001-2007

Posted November 8, 2012 - 16:20

Posted Image

Posted Image
I took my gooey duck to Puyallup!
I have a little project...
How 'bout them Cougs?

#32 mjrbaseball

mjrbaseball

• Members
  • 1,754 posts

Posted November 8, 2012 - 17:24

Now that is what a logo should be.
Posted Image

#33 pittsburghsports16

pittsburghsports16

• Members
  • 155 posts

• Favourite Logos:1993 - 2001 Pittsburgh Penguins Logo

Posted November 8, 2012 - 17:40

Posted Image