AnythingChicago's Ideal MLB

AnythingChicago

Well, I wanted to start an MLB concept series where I rule the world (similar to ilwauk's MLB). I hope he won't mind. There will be a few basic rules of my league:

• All uniforms will have NOBs, excluding the Yankees' home pinstripes, and only because it's been the same since 1936 and is considered a "classic".
  • No hat used in game play will not have a helmet combination. This will prevent awkward combinations (see pre-2010 Nationals patriotic alt). However, I will not be making helmets to go along with the hats, so that rule change won't really be shown. I just wanted to point that out.
  • There will be no throwbacks used as alternates, except on the first Sunday of every month - except October and April if the team's opening day is on a Sunday - where all teams will be required to wear throwbacks of matching decades. However, a team can have a throwback based set (see Indians or 76ers in basketball) but may not have a mix of modern and a throwback (ex: Blue Jays).
  • No team may use an alternate more than their primary, as seen in the White Sox home and road, Astros on the road, Cubs on the road, Rays on the road, et cetera. If a team has used their alternate more than their primary either at home or away at the end of the year, the franchise will be fined.
  • During the playoffs, alternates may only be used once per series. Any excess usage will result in fine.

This series will not include any new logos, but may resurrect some old ones. As in ilwauk's series, uniforms that will not be changed will be underlined and not bolded as new ones will be.

My first concept, New York, will be posted in the next post. I will put all of the links on this post for easier viewing soon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yankees: Home primary, road primary, road alternate.

Blue Jays: Home, road, home alt, road alt.

Red Sox: Home, road, home alt, road alt.

Orioles: Home, road, home alt, road alt.

Rays: Home, road, home alt, road alt.

Twins: Home, road, home alt, road alt.

Tigers: Home, road, alt, Sunday alt.

White Sox: Home, road, away.

Indians: Home, road, home alt, road alt.

Royals: Home, road, home alt, road alt, Sunday alt.

Athletics: Home, road, home alt, road alt.

Angels: Home, road, home alt, road alt.

Seattle: Home, road, home alt, road alt.

Rangers: Home, road, home alt, road alt.

25yzwqg.png

If you're gonna design an alt for the Yankees, I would hope that you'd go with the famous script they've used on their dugout jackets for so many years and put it with plain white block numbers. Anything else is gonna wind up looking like a fashion jersey, IMO.

And no, I don't mind at all that you're doing your own series... in fact, I can definitely appreciate that I inspired someone elses thread!

If you're gonna design an alt for the Yankees, I would hope that you'd go with the famous script they've used on their dugout jackets for so many years and put it with plain white block numbers. Anything else is gonna wind up looking like a fashion jersey, IMO.

And no, I don't mind at all that you're doing your own series... in fact, I can definitely appreciate that I inspired someone elses thread!

I'll definitely keep that in mind when the time comes for updating, thanks! :)

25yzwqg.png

Wait, so some of these your just linking back to other jerseys rather than at least recreating with a complete set of uniforms? Sorry, this just seems really lazy if you ask me. I get that it's what you want the MLB to look like, but could we at least see some more creativity than that?

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

One of the most common things with Yankees concepts on here is standardizing the interlocking NY. I get why people have the impulse to do that, but it's actually a bad idea, and not just because of tradition.

The print NY is very thin, especially compared to the bold NY used on the jerseys. It would not show up well on a pinstriped uniform - the thinner portions of the NY would almost get lost in the pinstripes. The print logo is not really that conducive to a jersey, especially a pinstriped one. The bolder NY was specifically designed for the uniform (as opposed to being designed for an NYPD award, which is where the print NY originated, long before the Yankees even existed), and flows considerably better with the pinstripes.

Personally, if the interlocking NY is going to be (partially) standardized, I'd actually go in the opposite direction and dump the print NY, and use either the chest logo or a cleaned up version of the cap logo in print (I wouldn't change anything on the uniforms themselves). The chest logo is basically a bolded version of the cap logo (unlike the print logo, the Y drops below the N on both the cap and print logos), so those two flow together better. But I'm fine with there being 3 versions of the interlocking NY (the old helmet version has been quietly dumped - every Yankees helmet being issued right now has the print logo on it) - each one looks best in the context they are each respectively used in.

That said, I'm glad you exempted the Yanks' home pinstripes from the NOB rule, again not just because of tradition. An NOB with no outline on a pinstriped uniform does not work, as it gets a bit lost in the pinstripes. You can see this effect pretty easily on replica Yankees' uniforms.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

Wait, so some of these your just linking back to other jerseys rather than at least recreating with a complete set of uniforms?

Yes. I didn't feel the need to change any of those uniforms, because they are already perfect IMO.

25yzwqg.png

Wait, so some of these your just linking back to other jerseys rather than at least recreating with a complete set of uniforms? Sorry, this just seems really lazy if you ask me. I get that it's what you want the MLB to look like, but could we at least see some more creativity than that?

I get your point, but is it really any worse than making superficial tweaks that only logo-nerds would notice for the sake of changing a uniform that doesn't need to be changed in the first place? All that does is eat up time that could be spent on concepts that actually need some creativity behind them.

I get your point, but is it really any worse than making superficial tweaks that only logo-nerds would notice for the sake of changing a uniform that doesn't need to be changed in the first place? All that does is eat up time that could be spent on concepts that actually need some creativity behind them.

(Coming from a guy who does the exact same thing) :rolleyes:

Although it may take up some time to recreate uniforms that are "untouchable", I would think that you would have enough pride in your work to take the time and make it more organized.

2043050vl19qK6.gif

(Coming from a guy who does the exact same thing) :rolleyes:

Although it may take up some time to recreate uniforms that are "untouchable", I would think that you would have enough pride in your work to take the time and make it more organized.

I have enough pride in my work to not come up with something that's 95% someone else's creation and call it "mine."

Better yet, take a look at some of the "untouchables" concepts that have been done as part of league-wide projects. 99% of them are either something that's been done hundreds of times over (i.e. standardizing the Yankees logos) or is forced, awkward and a definite downgrade. Personally, I'd rather not insult the intelligence of the folks who are taking the time to look at my work and/or give me feedback by presenting them with something that could equate to drawing eyebrows on the Mona Lisa.

Not gonna lie, I am kind of bothered by just posting a link to the teams ACTUAL jersey.

See, that's the thing. I'm not a huge fan of tweaks, but I don't complain about them. What I am complaining about is that you're just linking to them. Which, like I already said, comes off as a little lazy in my eyes.

Not saying you absolutely have to change it, it's your thing, do what you want.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

It's so ignorant to say a logo or uniform is " untouchable". The purpose of designing is to improve on am existing item. So to say something is "untouchable" is a lazy excuse. I'm sure many of the great designers here could improve the Yankee's look. So please don't be so lazy.

Since you guys can't just ignore a topic you don't find "creative", even though you don't know what I had in store for the rest of the league, I will not be continuing this series. No point to put work into it if you all will just continue to complain the same complaint over and over again. I hope this doesn't bring any negative attention to "illwauk's American League"; sorry if I hurt that for you, wauk...

25yzwqg.png

Archived