The Global View of U.S. Logos

CC97

I think although true, most overseas fans look for strong symbols and such among North American sports teams than just the pure asethic value of a logo. It'sriduclous to think a city like Boston or even SF could capture the world's attention like a team from NY or LA, desite the amount of success of any team. And Chicago is a major city, and Jordan rose to a well deserved god-like status, so what marketing is needed in such an instance in such a heavily marketed icon?

Just because a logo sells overseas doesn't mean it is timeless, it simply means it is recognizable.

That's just my take.

The same goes the other way as well IMO. Go to a mall and how many Manchester United Jerseys do you see walking around? Now, how many Arsenal Jerseys? Even though we have a realativly successful soccer league here, I rarely see anyone with Chicago Fire Jerseys.

Man thats a good article!! :D

All I was trying to do with this article was to give an insight to how American sports teams and logos are seen over here. And I really do believe that the cavaliers makeover is a reason for the popuilarity of LeBron James jerseys over here.

(I have a couple of ideas for my next column so watch out!!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Good job, it makes for an interesting read. One thing I need to point out is that the trend of selling team jerseys with a star player's name and number did not begin with Michael Jordan. He certainly did bring it to another level, but the marketing concept has been around since at least the early 1960's. My Cubs jersey with Ernie Banks' name and number would attest to that.

CGP.gif

I'm not sure that I literally meant that Jordan's was the first personalised jersey to be marketed, although it does read like that I'll admit, more that he was the first to really take it to a global, international level.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The same goes the other way as well IMO. Go to a mall and how many Manchester United Jerseys do you see walking around? Now, how many Arsenal Jerseys? Even though we have a realativly successful soccer league here, I rarely see anyone with Chicago Fire Jerseys.

to answer, i'm more likely to see a Chivas or Club America jersey than a Manure or Arsenal. seeing an MLS jersey around here is like seeing a $1000 bill, that rare.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I have never seen anyone wearing MLS merchandise, nor have I ever seen any for sale, in my life.

But you do see a lot of club team jerseys from Spain, England as well as the national jerseys (especially during Euro and World Cups).

In the Summer I see those more than I see Jays, Leafs, or Raptors jerseys

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Interesting that soccer jerseys should be so popular in North America. American sports goods in Britain tend to be very much a sub culture thing- kinda rappers wearing basketball stuff, that kind of thing. You very very very rarely see any NHL merchandise in the UK!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Interesting that soccer jerseys should be so popular in North America. American sports goods in Britain tend to be very much a sub culture thing- kinda rappers wearing basketball stuff, that kind of thing. You very very very rarely see any NHL merchandise in the UK!

I think it's more popular here (at least in Toronto) because 50% of our population are immigrants from overseas

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I think it's more popular here (at least in Toronto) because 50% of our population are immigrants from overseas

I was going to put a flag smiley, then realised I can't find one for Indonesia :cursing:

It's nice to hear about the trends from other countries. I have seen a lot of soccer jerseys around. I have seen more Arsenal and Manchester United jerseys on Asians than Europeans.

I saw, I came, I left.

as i said before i'm more likely to see a jersey from the Mexican league. Mainly, there are a lot of soccer-lovin Mexicans around here, and they got their Chivas t-shirts, their Club America jerseys and their Mexico shirts (heck, i saw teh new one yesterday-although that little notch on the left sleeve still bothers me, i want one and i'm not even Mexican)...only non-English or Mexican jerseys i've seen worn, I might have seen someone in a Real Madrid shirt but the others, i recall this one dude i knew named slavko. he had some i figure were from Eastern European teams, although i have no idea which ones. and no he didn't have Croatia's checkers, i woulda noticed if he had.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived