3. Pagenaud

4. Power

5. Dixon

6. Castroneves

7. Hawksworth

8. Newgarden

9. Filippi

10. Montoya

The first race was a true mess, the rain was hard for most points, in fact it even caused some problems near the end for the TUSSC race. It was a good race though! Of course tomorrow is round 2 for IndyCar & Pirelli World Challenge goes at it!

SN: As if PWC couldn't get any better....

http://www.world-challenge.com/news/series-news/item/3184-wc-vision-announces-pirelli-world-challenge-sprint-x-gt-championships-starting-in-2016.html

WC Vision announced today it will be launching an extended sprint format series in addition to its existing sprint format racing series in 2016. The new added and stand-alone championship will be named the Pirelli World Challenge Sprint-X GT Championship Series.

The Sprint-X races will be 60 minutes in length and feature mandatory driver and tire changes. The extended sprint races will run as separate races during the Series' “headliner” event weekends in addition to the existing sprint format championship. The series anticipates many existing teams to run Sprint-X as well as the existing championship.

I still ay to any gear head who hasn't seen this organization, please give them a shot, this is probably the most underrated series in the US.

baltimoreravens.png

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bumping for Round 2 in Detroit:

1. Bourdais

2. Sato

3. Rahal

4. Vautier

5. Andretti

6. Daly

7. Hawksworth

8. Hunter-Reay

9. Chaves

10. Montoya

A lot of rain, a lot of cautions & guys like Power, Castroneves, Dixon were victims of contact. The rain was so bad, they cancelled the 2nd round of the PWC races. On a side note, Conor Daly looked good in that race, I wish that someone would find him a permanent ride. Next up, Texas.

baltimoreravens.png

Bumping for IndyCar & Formula E results today

First Indy Car

1. DIxon

2. Kanaan

3. Castroneves

4. Montoya

5. Andretti

6. Munoz

7. Kimball

8. Briscoe

9. Jakes

10. Chaves

Again, Texas was a snooze fest. They really need to do something there that makes it worth the drive. I'd just say replace with Houston or another oval that's interesting. Hopefully Toronto will be better. On another note, Marco has finished every lap so far so way to go to him...

Formula E from Moscow

1. Piquet Jr.

2. di Grassi

3. Hiedfeld

4. Vergne

5. Abt

6. Duran

7. da Costa

8. Prost

9. Buemi

10. Wilson

Buemi originally came in 3rd but was handed a 29 second drive-through penalty for unsafe release. Next up is the 2 final races in London, for the championship.

Last but not least on a side note. Global Rally started a while back & they raced in Austin today at the X-Games, man was it fun to watch. I really love this series!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdgdE798rrQ

baltimoreravens.png

Results from Montreal:

1. Hamilton

2. Rosberg

3. Bottas

4. Raikkonen

5. Vettel

6. Massa

7. Maldonano

8. Hulkenberg

9. Kvyat

10. Grosjean

18th to 5th for Vettel but it was just another dominant Mercedes performance, especially for Hamilton. No Ricciardo nor Toro Rosso in the top 10...

Next up, Austria

baltimoreravens.png

Can you imagine if NASCAR had podiums ala Formula 1 and the top 3 finishers stood on a podium together?

It's a Forumula 1 tradition, but it would look.... well, interesting to say the least in NASCAR.

Results from Montreal:

I was a little disappointed Rosberg wasn't able to make Hamilton's life a little more difficult in the final laps in terms of entertainment value but glad Hamilton was able to get the win.

Also, I think the Lotus car is better than their drivers are making it look to be. Austria is another circuit which will benefit the Mercedes engines. Will be interesting to see if they can make a challenge. A podium finish really isn't out of their reach if Williams and/or Ferrari slip up and Grosjean/Maldonado can actually stay out of trouble for once.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Again, Texas was a snooze fest. They really need to do something there that makes it worth the drive. I'd just say replace with Houston or another oval that's interesting. Hopefully Toronto will be better. On another note, Marco has finished every lap so far so way to go to him...

The promoter for the Houston race wants it to come back, but he needs the series to be willing to race in the fall as he did not make enough money back by holding the race in June last year. The Houston track sits in the texans football stadium parking lot so it is miserable for all parties involved when its 95 degrees outside. A night race would be more tolerable but its a significant added cost to bring in temporary lighting. The spring time won't work due to Shell already sponsoring the golf tournament in Houston at that time.

The track owner for Texas Motor Speedway has some influence over the series as his track was one of the first and only tracks to remain loyal to IRL/Indycar since day 1. He is part of the reason why he doesn't want Indycar to go to COTA. He wants Texas Motor Speedway to host the top race in Texas.

Did we watch the same race? Super interesting with the varying downforce levels, high rate of tire degradation, tons of passing.

6fQjS3M.png

Did we watch the same race? Super interesting with the varying downforce levels, high rate of tire degradation, tons of passing.

You know, after watching the highlights and thinking about it, I must've missed those cause in all honest, I don't remember some of it (probably cause of the Stanley Cup Finals) although that was an impressive pass from Tony!

Speaking of Ganassi....

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/117723-lm24-ford-gt-program-details-circulate-at-le-mans

Prevailing wisdom at Le Mans says Ford’s announcement on Friday will not only name Chip Ganassi Racing as its primary team for its Ford GT program in the American TUDOR United SportsCar Championship, but add a two-car European team to contest the World Endurance Championship.

The four-car Le Mans 2016 effort would signify Ford’s most ambitious road racing program since its multi-series participation in IMSA, Trans-Am, and CART during a stretch that spanned portions of the 1980s and '90s.

A few major GT drivers have been rumored as future teammates/WEC colleagues to CGR’s lineup, and with the Ford GT serving as a known project for quite some time, the volume of drivers seeking contact information for Ford Racing’s upper brass has been rather impressive.

Ford’s full driver roster is not expected to be revealed on Friday, and the finer details of the program could come in a series of follow-up releases.

Looks like the Blue Oval is coming back to Endurance racing & I couldn't be happier!

Even a rival is looking forward to them returning...

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/117728-lm24-corvette-racing-welcomes-ford-and-can-t-wait-to-beat-them

As far as racing legends go, the titanic Ford-vs-Ferrari battles that took place at Le Mans in the 1960s are among the most revered, but another iconic brand – from Ford's home state – is looking forward to writing a new narrative in 2016. With Ford set to announce its return to international sports car racing on Friday with the Ford GT, Michigan neighbors GM Racing and its Corvette C7.R team are excited about resuming the old rivalry.

“I don’t think we could be happier,” Corvette Racing program manager Doug Fehan told RACER. “Number one, first and foremost, that Ford has recognized the viability of using professional sports car racing to market technologies, and they’ve come to the realization that motorsports is a lot more than just a checkered flag and a trophy. There’s a lot of ways to internalize what you do with those programs and I think Corvette has served as a learning example to every manufacturer on how you do that.

baltimoreravens.png

Bumping for the 24 hours of LeMans news....

First, guess who's coming back next year???

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/117897-lm24-ford-confirms-le-mans-imsa-programs

Ford will return to the Le Mans 24 Hours in 2016, with a new GT program officially confirmed at Le Mans on Friday.

The manufacturer will compete in the French classic, and both the full World Endurance Championship and IMSA TUDOR United SportsCar Championship next year. Chip Ganassi Racing, which uses Ford engines in its TUDOR Championship prototypes, will run the program.

Ford's flagship GT road car will be used, powered by a 3.5-liter twin-turbo V6 from Ford's EcoBoost lineup, as used in IMSA. It will make its debut in next January's Rolex 24 at Daytona.

Michelin will be the tire supplier, and while no drivers were announced, Ganassi TUDOR Championship driver Scott Pruett attended the press conference.

"We're back," said Ford Motor Company executive chairman Bill Ford. "We're back at Le Mans with a supercar."

Porsche is making a big statement this time...

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/le-mans/item/117874-porsche-on-pole-for-2015-le-mans-24h

Porsche's trio of 919 Hybrids will start this weekend's Le Mans 24 Hours from the top three positions of the grid after maintaining their supremacy in final qualifying.

Neel Jani's time of 3m16.887s in the #18 Porsche he shares with Romain Dumas and Marc Lieb, set early in the first of three qualifying sessions held on Wednesday night, was good enough to hold on to top spot throughout today's pair of two-hour sessions.

It is the fastest pole lap set at Le Mans since the introduction of the chicanes on the Mulsanne Straight, and the sixth fastest in history in terms of lap time regardless of configuration. It is also the first Porsche to take pole at Le Mans since Michele Alboreto in the Joest WSC 95 in 1997.

We'll have to see if they can keep up & last but not least some bad news....

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/le-mans/item/117875-lm24-corvette-racing-withdraws-no-63-from-le-mans-following-shunt

Corvette Racing have been forced to withdraw the No. 63 Chevrolet Corvette C7.R from the 83rd running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans following Jan Magnussen’s major shunt in the first qualifying session of the day.

The Dane understeered off the track in the Porsche curves due to “a mechanical issue” the team admitted, and it then bounced off the wall and across the track to the other side. The damage to the front and rear of the car meant it is beyond immediate repair on site.

That was a nasty hit, bummed to see this Corvette out of the race but I'm just glad to see Magnussen is alright.

baltimoreravens.png

Bumping for LeMans & Toronto

Your winners from LeMans:

LMP1 N.Hulkenberg, E.Bamber, N.Tandy Porsche Team

LMP2 M.Howson, R.Bradley, N.Lapierre KCMG ORECA/Nissan

GTE Pro O.Gavin, T.Milner, J.Taylor Corvette Racing Chevrolet

GTE Am V.Shaitar, A.Bertolini, A.Basov SMP Racing Ferrari

It was a very impressive race for Porsche especially finishing 1st & 2nd. Toyota was nowhere to be found & Audi couldn't catch them. Congrats to Corvette as well, I was impressed that despite only having one car, end up winning. They achieved victories at Daytona, Sebring & now LeMans. That's a huge accomplishment.

Results from Toronto:

1. Newgarden

2. Filippi

3. Castroneves

4. Power

5. Bourdais

6. Kanaan

7. Montoya

8. Dixon

9. Rahal

10. Sato

Newgarden has been impressive this season, IMO a truly underrated driver.

Next up, Fontana.

baltimoreravens.png

Bumping for some interesting news...

F1 may lose Monza for Imola?

http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/06/16/imola-emerges-as-possible-solution-for-italian-gp-crisis/

Imola has emerged in the running to return to Formula 1, as a solution amid uncertainty regarding the future of the Italian grand prix at historic Monza, as F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone demands a higher annual race fee.

And now, another Italian circuit – the former long-time San Marino grand prix venue Imola – has suddenly emerged in the running to return to the calendar.

It follows a meeting at Ecclestone’s London office on Monday between the 84-year-old Briton and Daniele Manca, who is the mayor of the town of Imola.

Autosprint and Omnicorse each published separate photographs of the meeting, which was also attended by other Italian officials.

“We wanted to show to Ecclestone the will of the town of Imola to get back to formula one,” mayor Manca said, “but above all to do our part to keep a grand prix in Italy.”

I don't know about this, I mean Monza is a fantastic track & a staple for F1. Although I'd rather keep a race in Italy.

Next up, could Ferrari, give you wings?

http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/06/17/red-bull-considering-switch-to-ferrari-powering/

Red Bull is considering a shock switch to Ferrari power, according to a media report published on Wednesday.

Sport Bild claims that, fed up with works partner Renault’s poor reliability and performance in the new ‘power unit’ era, Red Bull has been in talks with its arch-rival Ferrari.

While a switch to Ferrari would be sensational, Red Bull has actually been powered by Maranello-built engines before, in 2006 (below). A year later, junior team Toro Rosso also began to use customer Ferrari power.

At the end of last year, Red Bull’s quadruple world champion Sebastian Vettel moved to Ferrari, but he said recently he retains a good relationship with the energy drink company.

However, the Red Bull-owned teams would reportedly have clear ‘B’ status, including a specification of engine 20-30 horse power behind the works Ferrari team.

But Red Bull’s Helmut Marko said: “Even a B-version of the Ferrari would be better than the A-version of the Renault.”

Hmmm, I dunno but hey Toro Rosso used Ferrari engines & of course Vettel got his first win in a Ferrari powered Toro Rosso. Although this could be bad news for the Haas team, considering they were rumored to be Ferrari's new B team

Finally, maybe some hope for Road America & IndyCar!

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/118096-indycar-finally-another-chance-for-road-america

It sounds like Elkhart Lake and IndyCar are serious about 2016.

Road America president George Bruggenthies confirmed to RACER.com that he's been in discussion with Derrick Walker and is hopeful of bringing back open-wheel after a nine-year absence.

"I've talked with Derrick about a potential date for IndyCar next year and we're trying to work something out," said Bruggenthies on Tuesday afternoon. "It's not a done deal but I know our fans want to see IndyCar return and I'd love to see how that new car ran around here.

"We're hopeful we can get something done shortly because I'd like to have my schedule finalized by the end of this month."

Walker admitted Road America was on the radar.

Oh please let this happen!!!

baltimoreravens.png

F1 may lose Monza for Imola?

This just epitomises the last decade or so of of Ecclestone's tenure. They spend all this time discussing making F1 more cost effective but then repeatedly contradict those discussions with their actions. Higher race fees mean higher costs put onto the spectators wishing to buy tickets. I don't see how they are going to attract new audiences, especially younger fans who will be the future of the sport, when they are making the sport more exclusive towards the rich.

How many more stalwart and/or iconic circuits will be dropped from the calendar in the next few years?

Next up, could Ferrari, give you wings?

It wouldn't be the worst move for Red Bull. It wouldn't be the most surprising partnership in F1 history either.

As mentioned in your post, Ferrari would hypothetically supply a 'B' grade engine to Red Bull. So, you could argue that they wouldn't be a level competitor. I imagine it would be similar to the level Williams are at compared to their enginer supplier Mercedes. Ferrari would also be receiving money from Red Bull which they could invest directly into developing and improving their own car.

For Red Bull this would almost certainly be an improvement over Renault as Mr Marko said. Besides, they never had the fastest (in terms of straight line top speed) car during their successful years anyway. It was more about aero packages and cornering speed. This could, in theory, be a mutually beneficial partnership.

Results from Austria:

1.Rosberg

2. Hamilton

3. Massa

4. Vettel

5. Bottas

6. Hulkenberg

7. Maldonando

8. Verstappen

9. Perez

10. Ricciardo

It looked liked Nico had a trick up his sleeve when they started. It was a rough day for Raikkonen & Alonso after that crash. Next up the British Grand Prix!

On a side note though, it looks like we can put an end to the Red Bull/Ferrari engine switch... However, the quit threat remain....

http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/06/21/renault-we-will-power-red-bull-and-toro-rosso-in-2016/

Renault says it is sure it will continue to power Red Bull’s cars next year, despite the mud slinging feud engulfing the two organisations.

The news comes amid swirling rumours about the future in F1 of the energy drink company, with owner Dietrich Mateschitz threatening to quit and reports Red Bull received an offer to become a Ferrari ‘customer’ next year.

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, however, told reporters he thinks Mateschitz’s quit threat is not quite that simple.

“He’s been in F1 longer than people realise and he’s always supported it,” he said of the Austrian billionaire. “Actually, I think he’s an intelligent guy — he knows what he says and what the effects are.”

baltimoreravens.png

This just epitomises the last decade or so of of Ecclestone's tenure. They spend all this time discussing making F1 more cost effective but then repeatedly contradict those discussions with their actions. Higher race fees mean higher costs put onto the spectators wishing to buy tickets. I don't see how they are going to attract new audiences, especially younger fans who will be the future of the sport, when they are making the sport more exclusive towards the rich.

How many more stalwart and/or iconic circuits will be dropped from the calendar in the next few years?

Bernie meant more cost effective for the teams and himself. He still wants the fans to pay more. If fans are tired of paying and stop coming out to the track, he will just find another country willing to build a new track and attract bernies attention and stuff his pockets. Bernie is too old to care about the future of the sport. As long as the rich and willing keep paying to show up, thats all he could ask for. He needs people willing to buy the products being advertised during a race. You think rolex is advertising to appeal to the common man?

Bernie meant more cost effective for the teams and himself. He still wants the fans to pay more. If fans are tired of paying and stop coming out to the track, he will just find another country willing to build a new track and attract bernies attention and stuff his pockets. Bernie is too old to care about the future of the sport. As long as the rich and willing keep paying to show up, thats all he could ask for. He needs people willing to buy the products being advertised during a race. You think rolex is advertising to appeal to the common man?

That's a good point in general. However, F1 has always had main sponsors (luxury watches, banks, airlines, champagne etc.) who were appealing to the rich and/or famous. It helds build the brand that F1 is the elite series in motorsport. Sure, it does attract these rich people but the every day fan is equally as important and beyond the main sponsor you will find sponsorships for all kinds of things - deodorant, shampoo, energy drinks, fuel, anti-virus software, budget airlines, mobile phones etc. who do appeal to the common man. I would say that the sport needs both types of fans to exist.

F1 rumblings about!!!

http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/06/24/qatar-and-miami-dolphins-owners-set-to-buy-f1/

The owner of the Miami Dolphins football team is joining forces with Qatar to buy a controlling stake in Formula One in a deal that could be worth up to $8 billion and inject new leadership into a sport facing falling TV audiences and ticket sales.

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross is looking to acquire a 35.5 percent stake from private equity fund CVC Capital Partners Ltd through his investment vehicle RSE, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters on Tuesday, adding that a deal could be done within six weeks.

Formula One impresario Bernie Ecclestone, who has ruled over the sport for four decades, would stay on to lead the racing side of the business, the source said. The move comes as Formula One racing grapples with falling viewing figures, controversial race rules and soaring costs, all of which have led to some teams struggling for sponsorship.

Uncle Bernie would be staying to lead the racing side of business? I don't see that happening for very long but with all the stuff going on with Qatar & the FIFA scandal, I don't know if I would like this deal....

Meanwhile, it looks like Ferrari will replace one Finn with another...

http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/06/24/ferrari-makes-bid-to-sign-bottas-from-williams/

Ferrari has launched a bid to secure the services of Williams driver Valtteri Bottas, according to reports emerging in Germany, making an official offer to release the highly rated Finn from the Grove outfit.

Amid heightening speculation about Kimi Raikkonen’s future at the Italian team, the report said Ferrari has made “an offer” not only to Finn Bottas, but also his current team Williams. That is because the British team has a firm contractual ‘option’ on Bottas’ services for 2016, and is determined to keep the highly-rated 25-year-old.

I could see Bottas go to Ferrari in all honesty. He's a very talented driver & sadly Kimi's best days may be over...

baltimoreravens.png

Bumping for Indy Car & Formula E:

1. Rahal

2. Kanaan

3. Andretti

4. Montoya

5. Karam

6. Dixon

7. Jakes

8. Kimball

9. Pagenaud

10. Hawksworth

Dear IndyCar....

Never lose Fontana!!!! That was some excellent racing in California! Rahal finally getting a win, this was just a good race altogether! Next up the Milwaukee Mile

Formula E results, Round 1 from London

1.Buemi

2. D'Ambrosio

3. Vergne

4. di Grassi

5. Piquet Jr.

6. Bird

7. Prost

8. Duval

9. Turvey

10. Sarrazin

e.dams won the constructor's title after the race but now Round 2 tomorrow will be for the driver's championship between Piquet Jr., di Grassi & Buemi... It should be interesting tomorrow. The finale, Round 2 in London.

baltimoreravens.png

Not that they must lose it, but having a Saturday race in midafternoon is an error. Wow.

Not only the audience, but if the Women's World Cup wasn't on the previous DirecTV channel, I wouldn't know they were live on a Saturday.

Archived