sc49erfan15's "Who Am I?" - NASCAR/Daytona 500 Edition

sc49erfan15

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, ok. Threw me off.... Super Tex. A.J. Foyt.

A.J. Foyt is who we were looking for - blood, sweat, and tears on that one!

I. Foyt has a ton of racing accomplishments - the only winner of the Daytona 500, Indianapolis 500, 24 Hours of Daytona, and 24 Hours of Le Mans; and in multiple motorsports Halls of Fame.

II. Foyt won the 1964 Firecracker 400 in his tenth Sprint Cup start.

III. At Riverside in 1965, Foyt was involved in an incredible crash at which he was pronounced dead at the scene. However, Parnelli Jones noticed movement in Foyt's body and he was revived.

IV. After the crazy ending to the 1979 Daytona 500, Foyt pulled up alongside Richard Petty to congratulate him on his win, and was called a "true gentleman" on air. Aaaaand then in 1997, as a car owner, Foyt backhanded Ari Luyendyk during a dispute in victory lane.

V. Foyt retired from the 1990 Daytona 500 because he claimed he was being intoxicated by the fumes from glue in his new racing helmet.

$_35.JPGfoyt_72daytona.jpg

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Round 11:

I. I am among NASCAR's most well-known and accomplished drivers, but I never had much luck at Daytona - or Talladega, for that matter.

II. I paid tribute to a lost friend after every win that year - and I won a ton, but not the Cup.

III. I helped design a NASCAR track near my home state.

IV. Many people believe a movie character was patterned after me.

Who am I?

Rusty Wallace is correct.

I. Rusty had 55 Sprint Cup wins in his career, but none in points races at Daytona (or Talladega, for that matter). For a microcosm of Rusty's experiences at both tracks, all you need to see are his 1983 flip at Daytona, and his spectacular crashes 10 years later at both Daytona and Talladega.

II. Wallace emulated the late Alan Kulwicki's "Polish victory lap" after all of his 10 wins in 1993 - but finished second in the final points standings.

III. Rusty helped design the Iowa Speedway that opened in 2006, a few hours from his native Missouri.

IV. It's widely believed that the young, cocky Russ Wheeler in Days of Thunder is patterned after Wallace. They do share the same initials...

27_wallace_1990_b.jpg

derw93.jpg

I've never heard the story about IV. Interesting.

I figured that's where you were going with the Tim Richmond guess as well. I was a big fan of Days of Thunder as a kid, and despite its cheesy awfulness, I still like it today. I had always thought Cole Trickle = Tim Richmond, Russ Wheeler = Rusty Wallace, Rowdy Burns = Dale Earnhardt (probably the most completely obvious of the bunch), the crew chief played by Robert Duvall = Harry Hyde (I think his name is even Harry in the movie), and the owner = Rick Hendrick.

Round 12:

I. You probably wouldn't make fun of my first name - to my face, anyway.

II. I grew up close to a multi-time Daytona 500 winner, and I'm the last driver from this state to win it. I'm the last first-time Daytona 500 winner from this state. (I goofed on this one - see explanation a few posts down.)

III. I am one of only eight drivers to do this, and the only non-Sprint Cup champion to do it.

IV. I was one of 5 drivers to introduce this now-common trend to NASCAR.

Who am I?

A few good odd names, but we're still looking for the correct one...

I'll lob up a softball hint here, since it's 11:30 EST:

I'm a junior, and my dad went by a nickname, too.

[edit] Also realized I goofed on hint III. I wasn't the last driver from this state to win it. The multi-time Daytona 500 winner won it again - twice - after I did. I'm the last first-time Daytona 500 winner from this state.

Archived