sc49erfan15's "Who Am I?" - NASCAR/Daytona 500 Edition

sc49erfan15

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buddy Baker

Yes. Finally, someone's stopped the bleeding! Buddy Baker it is.

I. Elzie Wylie Baker, Jr. - better known as Buddy. At 6'6" (one of the tallest drivers in NASCAR history) ...you'd probably rather call him Buddy.

II. Buddy hails from Florence, SC, just a few miles from Timmonsville, SC - home of 4-time 500 winner Cale Yarborough.

III. Baker is one of only eight drivers to complete a career Grand Slam (Daytona 500, Coca-Cola 600, Aaron's 499 Winston 500, and the Southern 500). He is the only one of the eight never to be crowned Sprint Cup champion.

IV. For the 1991 Daytona 500, five cars ran paint schemes for the five branches of the U.S. military. Baker drove the #88 "Marines" car. This was the first instance of special paint schemes in NASCAR.

Hints: Elzie Wylie Baker, Sr. was better known as Buck Baker, and is in the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

baker.jpg

0234289001422051644_filepicker.jpg

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

That 1991 Daytona 500 was Buddy's first race in a Pontiac since 1982. He generally drove Oldsmobile's at the tail end of his career.

He drove some great looking cars at the end of his career as well.

buddybaker_zpst97dqnl2.jpg88vi-vi.jpg

88buddy_baker-vi.jpg

It appears that Buddy had a penchant for reflective/foil numbers (no longer allowed, BTW)... I'd have to agree, I think they look pretty sharp.

Round 13:

I. Despite my legions of fans, I only won this once.

II. I am tied for this NASCAR record.

III. It's not exactly what its name implies, but I was part of it.

IV. A coach in another sport wears my number to honor me.

V. I won dozens of races at Daytona.

Who am I?

I tried not to make it completely obvious... but it is the Man in Black, the Intimidator, Dale Earnhardt, Sr.

I. Earnhardt had (and has) one of the largest NASCAR fan followings - but only won the Most Popular Driver award once, posthumously, in 2001.

II. Earnhardt is tied with Richard Petty for the most Sprint Cup championships, with 7.

III. During the 1987 Winston, Earnhardt was forced into the infield grass by Bill Elliott, but held his lead. This is known as the "Pass in the Grass" despite Earnhardt, well, not passing anybody.

IV. Kansas City Royals manager Ned Yost wears #3 to honor Earnhardt.

V. Earnhardt won a total of 34 races at Daytona, but victory lane after the 500 eluded him - until 1998.

dale-earnhardt-daytona-500-victory-lane-

Archived