sc49erfan15's "Who Am I?" - NASCAR/Daytona 500 Edition

sc49erfan15

Michael Waltrip

Michael Waltrip is who we were looking for. (For my money, one of the most overrated drivers in NASCAR history, and a complete jerk the one time I met him.)

I. Waltrip's car disintegrated in his 1990 crash at Bristol. Normally the Kool-Aid Man broke through the wall, but this time it was the other way around.

II. Waltrip also took a pretty wild ride during a 2000 Busch Series race, this time in a Band-Aid sponsored car.

III. Mikey has been in multiple feuds with other drivers (I remember Robby Gordon being a big one), as well as two major fines and penalties from NASCAR (2007 for having Sterno in the engine, 2013 for attempting to cause cautions to manipulate the Chase).

IV. They are now divorced, but Waltrip was once married to a woman named Buffy.

rpm_a_waltrip02_400.jpgpic_1297997725_14.jpg

We'll go again tomorrow!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Round 8.

I. I was the first driver to win this race back-to-back.

II. I won the first ever NASCAR race held here.

III. I suffered multiple life-threatening and career-ending accidents.

IV. Upon this race team's first win, 15 years later, the win was dedicated to me. (Hint: the race was won by Brad Keselowski.)

V. It was a very sad 4 days.

Who am I?

Sidenote: I hate that a lot of times David Pearson seems to get left out of the "greatest drivers in NASCAR history" debate. He's 2nd all time in victories, yet somehow Petty/Earnhardt/Gordon get all the love. Pearson was before my time, but I've been a "fan" for a while - a childhood friend's dad grew up down the street from the Pearsons in rural Spartanburg, SC. I heard a lot of fun stories from him.

David Pearson was better than Petty in my book. Yes, NASCAR fans, I said it.

Or Geoff Bodinee.

Ah yes, the all but forgotten Bodinee family. Geoff was good, but I always thought his 2nd cousin Geronimo Bodinee was the real talent in that bunch. I guess with a name that's so similar to Bodine, one of the families was bound to get lost in the confusion. B)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Geoff Bodine is as good a guess as any.

An aside: In the early 70s, he was called "bo-DEEN" at Albany-Saratoga Speedway, due to the amount of French-Canadian drivers at the track.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Round 8.

I. I was the first driver to win this race back-to-back.

II. I won the first ever NASCAR race held here.

III. I suffered multiple life-threatening and career-ending accidents.

IV. Upon this race team's first win, 15 years later, the win was dedicated to me. (Hint: the race was won by Brad Keselowski.)

V. It was a very sad 4 days.

Who am I?

The great French driver, Niles Bonèt. (Neil Bonnett)

That was for question IV.

iq5b7nF.png

Neil Bonnett it is! My dad's all-time favorite driver.

I. Neil won the Sprint Unlimited (née Busch Clash) in 1983 and 1984, the first driver to do so back-to-back.

II. Bonnett won the 1988 Goodyear NASCAR 500, an exhibition race held at the Calder Park Thunderdome in Melbourne, Australia - the first ever NASCAR-sanctioned race held outside of North America.

III. Bonnett retired briefly in 1990 following a serious crash at Darlington, then came back for one race at Talladega in 1993 (where he was involved in another significant crash), then returned again to the 1994 Daytona 500.

IV. Phoenix Racing had ran in Sprint Cup since 1994 (where they entered the season with Bonnett as the driver) and had yet to secure a victory, until Brad Keselowski won at Talladega in 2009 (infamously known as the race where Carl Edwards' car went airborne and into the catch fencing at the finish). The win was dedicated to Bonnett.

V. Bonnett lost his life in a crash in practice for the 1994 Daytona 500. Fellow driver Rodney Orr was also killed in another crash 4 days later. It was a very sad 4 days, indeed.

NASCAR%2020%20Neil%20Bonnett.jpg12Budref84-vi.jpg

Round 9:

I. I am tied for a modern-era NASCAR record, but unlike the other guy, it wasn't the Daytona 500.

II. I changed my sponsor to raise awareness following a natural disaster.

III. I made my Sprint Cup debut filling in for a driver who had previously won the Daytona 500.

Who am I?

Jamie McMurray?

Jamie McMurray for the win.

I. In just his second career Sprint Cup start, McMurray won the 2002 UAW-GM Quality 500 at Charlotte. This record has since been tied by Trevor Bayne, who won the 2011 Daytona 500 in his second start as well.

II. McMurray hails from Joplin, MO - and changed his sponsor for the 2011 Coca-Cola 600 to his hometown in response to the 2011 Joplin tornado.

III. McMurray's first starts (including his first win) came in relief for Sterling Marlin, who won the 1994 and 1995 Daytona 500s.

jamie-mcmurray-wins.jpgJamie-McMurray-wins-Daytona-500_2_1.jpg

You have a picture of Darrell Waltrip, not Neil Bonnett. DW drove the 11 Bud can. Neil drove the 12 Bud can.

Good call - didn't realize that. Wanted to post that era paint scheme and didn't even realize I had the #11 instead of #12.

Round 10:

I. I am one of the most accomplished drivers of all time.

II. It took me less than a dozen Sprint Cup starts to win my first race at Daytona.

III. I was pronounced dead after a crash.

IV. On-air, I've both been called a "true gentleman" and backhanded another driver.

V. I exited a Daytona 500 for one of the weirdest reasons.

Who am I?

Archived