sc49erfan15's "Who Am I?" - NASCAR/Daytona 500 Edition

sc49erfan15

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since #3 was guessed so quickly, here's another for today.

I. My family has been involved in racing for generations.

II. I am in multiple motorsports Halls of Fame.

III. My Daytona 500 win came only a few years before my final NASCAR start.

IV. People believed for years that I was cursed.

V. I am the only driver that can say this.

Who am I?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Mario Andretti?

Looks like you saw through my attempt to get someone to guess Dale Earnhardt - as it is indeed Mario Andretti.

I. Mario, Aldo, Michael, Jeff, John, Marco - there are a gaggle of Andretti racers, I've probably forgotten some.

II. Mario is in the International Motorsports Hall of Fame, the U.S. National Sprint Car Hall of Fame, and the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America.

III. Andretti won the 1967 Daytona 500, his last NASCAR start (out of only 14 total) was in 1969.

IV. The Andretti Curse is a well-known piece of auto racing lore.

V. Mario Andretti is the only driver that can say a lot of things. He's the only driver to ever win the Daytona 500, Indy 500, and Formula One World Championship. He's also the only non-American born driver to win the Daytona 500.

Another round tomorrow afternoon!

mario67daytona500b.jpg

OK, sc49erfan15, Here's my attempt:

I. I won the last Daytona 500 for my manufacturer's brand car type and the first one for its new type

II. I won the first race for this manufacturer in over 20+ years

III. I took many, many years to get my first win

IV. I won the last Winston 'Select' 500.

V. I was one of only 3 active NASCAR drivers as of 2005 that was in the final NASCAR Cup race at the old Nashville Fairgrounds track

OK, sc49erfan15, Here's my attempt:

I. I won the last Daytona 500 for my manufacturer's brand car type and the first one for its new type

II. I won the first race for this manufacturer in over 20+ years

III. I took many, many years to get my first win

IV. I won the last Winston 'Select' 500.

V. I was one of only 3 active NASCAR drivers as of 2005 that was in the final NASCAR Cup race at the old Nashville Fairgrounds track

Sterling Marlin

I had clues for Sterling Marlin planned for a later round. I'm not going to get bent out of shape about a simple trivia contest thread, but I'd appreciate it if you would play along instead of writing your own questions. Thanks.

Round 5:

I. I quite literally helped build a track at which I would later win a Sprint Cup race.

II. Other drivers weren't big fans of me early on, and I earned this nickname because of it.

III. If the HANS Device had been used earlier, it probably would've extended my comparatively-short NASCAR career.

IV. My first 3 wins came at a short track, superspeedway, and a road course. The road course victory was unfortunately overshadowed by tragedy.

Who am I?

Ernie Irvan

Ernie Irvan for two in a row!

I. Irvan's first job upon moving from California to North Carolina was welding seats at Charlotte Motor Speedway, where he would later win the 1993 Mello Yello 500.

II. Ernie "earned" the nickname "Swervin' Irvan" due to his aggressive (some considered reckless) driving style early in his career.

III. At a 1994 practice session at Michigan, Irvan crashed and suffered a basilar skull fracture - the same injury that killed Dale Earnhardt, among others. He was given only a 10% chance of surviving at first. A HANS device likely would've mitigated the injury. After another crash, in another practice session, again at Michigan, in 1999 - Irvan retired shortly after, ending a career that lasted only 13 years.

IV. Irvan's first wins were at Bristol, Daytona, and Watkins Glen. Not a bad trio. The 1991 Bud at the Glen was overshadowed by the death of J.D. McDuffie.

52241490.vadapt.320.medium.0.jpgirvan_cl_kodak_4_daytona_winner_profile.

Expect another installment around 5 tomorrow!

Round 6:

I. I got lucky when another driver made a boneheaded (but hilarious) move, giving me the win.

II. I didn't pahk the cah in the yahd... I said it in a much more Southern way.

III. I was appointed to a state government position following my NASCAR career.

IV. I was the final driver for a well-known NASCAR team that won multiple races at Daytona.

Who am I?

Ward Burton!

Oh man, the Sterling Marlin fender pull is up there in sports collapses and that 500 was probably one of the best I've ever seen with how nuts the last 50 or so laps went

RyanMcD with the quick trigger finger, it is Ward Burton indeed!

I. After an incident on a restart with 5 laps to go, Sterling Marlin was leading the race but had a possible damaged fender from the incident. NASCAR red flagged the race in attempt to guarantee a green flag finish. During the red flag, Marlin got out of his car and tried to pull his fender away from the tire - not the worst idea, except that NASCAR prohibits working on any car during a red flag. Marlin was penalized, giving second-place Burton the lead... he held on, winning the 2002 Daytona 500.

II. Burton is from South Boston, Virginia... and has one of the thickest accents of all-time. If Boomhauer was from Virginia, he'd be Ward Burton.

III. Burton was appointed to the Virginia Board of Game and Inland Fisheries in 2005.

IV. Before Morgan-McClure Motorsports closed in 2007, Ward Burton was the final driver to drive one of their famous #4 cars in a NASCAR race. Morgan-McClure won 14 times in Sprint Cup - 5 times at Daytona, including 3 Daytona 500s (Ernie Irvan and Sterling Marlin twice).

Same time, same channel tomorrow!

0402_46_1.jpgdaytona_5002.jpg

Round 7:

I. It's a miracle I survived, but looking back, there's some humor in my then-sponsor.

II. I flipped at Daytona years later, again with a humorously-appropriate sponsor.

III. I've been in my share of hot water with both NASCAR and other drivers.

IV. I wasn't married to Sarah Michelle Gellar.

Who am I?

Archived