1982 NFL merchandise

DG_ThenNowForever

I used to cut logos out of these catalogs to mount on magnets to make standings boards, that's how I first got interested in logos, around '89 or so. Copied the magnetic standing boards that were advertised in basketball digest.

I did the same thing! :D

Glad to see my Bengals featured prominently the year after making their first Super Bowl. It was a nice change from seeing Dallas and Pittsburgh featured every year in the late 70s.

I have that entire 1982 helmet set, and as pefesser said, they were real helmets, albeit small enough for a kid to wear. My biggest criticism is that most of the logos are way too small.

Got em' off ebay back when it first started in the 90s. Seller said they were bought by an adult who worked at Rawlings and never played with. Unfortunately, the extreme temperatures of my garage have caused some of the logos to wrinkle a little in a place or two, but they're still pretty nice. Paid $280 for all 28, thus fulfilling a childhood fantasy. When time travel becomes readily available and affordable, I'm going back to the late 70s and clean up on some NFL stuff from those catalogs.

So, Jim, I gotta ask...are you THE Jungle Jim? If so, I love your store. If not, I still love not your store.

Hey, MCM. I PM'd you, since some here have lately been getting testy about taking threads off-topic.

Whoops, my bad. I love this topic, though. It'd be great if people could post the 1993, 1994, and 1995 JCPenney's Christmas catalogs, as those were the ones I looked at the most. Ah, nostalgia! :)

Here's a site that may interest you. Once you choose a catalog, look for the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the screen. That lets you scroll through thumbnails of the pages, which should make it easier to find the NFL stuff.

http://www.wishbookweb.com/

from the 88 and 85 sears catalogs. I posted this in another thread. I had the 49ers and Redskins

1988.xx.xx%20Sears%20Christmas%20Catalog

SearsWishbook.1985EC.P412.jpg

Hmmm...Ken Anderson, Dan Fouts, Danny White, and Joe Theismann, but also Dan Marino, John Elway, and Tony Eason. Herschel Walker is a Cowboy and Eric Dickerson is a Colt. And a picture of kids in Montana and Marino sets identical to those worn in Super Bowl XIX. I'm gonna guess this is from 1985. Or at the latest, 1986.

Also, that Elway uniform is sweet.

I used to cut logos out of these catalogs to mount on magnets to make standings boards, that's how I first got interested in logos, around '89 or so. Copied the magnetic standing boards that were advertised in basketball digest.

Glad to see my Bengals featured prominently the year after making their first Super Bowl. It was a nice change from seeing Dallas and Pittsburgh featured every year in the late 70s.

I have that entire 1982 helmet set, and as pefesser said, they were real helmets, albeit small enough for a kid to wear. My biggest criticism is that most of the logos are way too small.

Got em' off ebay back when it first started in the 90s. Seller said they were bought by an adult who worked at Rawlings and never played with. Unfortunately, the extreme temperatures of my garage have caused some of the logos to wrinkle a little in a place or two, but they're still pretty nice. Paid $280 for all 28, thus fulfilling a childhood fantasy. When time travel becomes readily available and affordable, I'm going back to the late 70s and clean up on some NFL stuff from those catalogs.

So, Jim, I gotta ask...are you THE Jungle Jim? If so, I love your store. If not, I still love not your store.

Hey, MCM. I PM'd you, since some here have lately been getting testy about taking threads off-topic.

Whoops, my bad. I love this topic, though. It'd be great if people could post the 1993, 1994, and 1995 JCPenney's Christmas catalogs, as those were the ones I looked at the most. Ah, nostalgia! :)

15575410495_0d9beef6f3_h.jpg

I may have had that Dolphins sweatshirt-and-pants set. They had the greatest color scheme. Still have one of the best.

I wasn't guessing I'm telling you, top was 88 and bottom was 85. I have the sears wishbooks saved on my favorites. what the guy ahead of me posted.

Found this by way of Gizmodo and figured this forum would appreciate it. Check out this fun 1982 NFL merchandise from a JCPenny Wishbook:

6830184139_a8d486911f_b.jpg

My dad worked for JCPenney so everything I wore growing up was from there and all of my Christmas presents were from the catalogs. Starting in 1979 I would usually get a helmet and a jersey, I had the Steelers, Cowboys, 49ers and Dolphins. Penney's must not have had official kids jerseys in 1979 & 1980 since I got a generic looking black and gold one in 1979 and a silver #12 jersey in 1980 to go with the Cowboys helmet. I also somehow ended up with a Hutch SMU uniform set, my dad brought it home one day, no idea how a Penney's in Pittsburgh ended up with it. When Pitt played SMU in the Cotton Bowl I pulled off the Mustang sticker and replaced it with number stickers left over from when we got a new mailbox.

from the 88 and 85 sears catalogs. I posted this in another thread. I had the 49ers and Redskins

Hmmm...Ken Anderson, Dan Fouts, Danny White, and Joe Theismann, but also Dan Marino, John Elway, and Tony Eason. Herschel Walker is a Cowboy and Eric Dickerson is a Colt. And a picture of kids in Montana and Marino sets identical to those worn in Super Bowl XIX. I'm gonna guess this is from 1985. Or at the latest, 1986.

I may have had that Dolphins sweatshirt-and-pants set. They had the greatest color scheme. Still have one of the best.

I wasn't guessing I'm telling you, top was 88 and bottom was 85. I have the sears wishbooks saved on my favorites. what the guy ahead of me posted.

Okay, I gotcha. So the page with the sweatshirt-and-pants combo was what, 1994?

I just remember the teeth-gnashing I would do back in the day reading those dept store catalogs when the 'Team Available" section hardly ever contained the Lions.

You young guys don't know how good you have it!

/old man

Also those peanut machines are awesome, and are probably a real collector's item at this point. I couldn't find one out on eBay.

Me either...none on eBay for any team. I immediately searched for one when I saw the picture!

87Redskins.png

Found this by way of Gizmodo and figured this forum would appreciate it. Check out this fun 1982 NFL merchandise from a JCPenny Wishbook:

6830184139_a8d486911f_b.jpg

6830184253_3a206faed3_b.jpg

6830183147_2993a03eb4_b.jpg

Much more on this Flickr gallery.

Enjoy!

It was through the J.C. Penney catalog in the mid 1990s that I first got into helmets. They had the Hutch Little Pro helmet-and-uniform sets for $20 or $30 apiece. I got one in 1994---I picked the Chiefs because of Joe Montana. I still have the whole thing somewhere, except maybe the shoulder pads. I peeled the Hutch sticker off the front of the helmet because I thought it would look better without it (it did). I really used to drool over the full-sized replica ($80) and authentic (a lot more) helmets, though. Unlike the Hutch uniforms and a lot of the merchandise, they actually were available in all 28 teams (then all 30 my fifth-grade year). I saved up and bought the replica versions of the Vikings and Patriots---Vikings because I loved (and still love) how the horns wrapped around the back of the helmet to almost meet back there (interestingly enough, since the Seahawks have become the first NFL team to have logos that actually meet in the back of the helmet, I have realized that almost meeting looks better), and Patriots because they were my favorite team at the time (Bledsoe-and-Parcells era) and I liked the Flying Elvis logo a lot (and it also wrapped around to the back). They were used extensively in touch football games. Other favorite helmets of mine in those days included those of the Rams (the horns are awesome), the Seahawks (wraparound logo again), the Broncos (horse-jumping-through-the-D is still an all-time favorite logo of mine, and I loved how their helmet would appear to be a different shade of blue depending on the lighting), the Buccaneers (Bucco Bruce, great stripe, and the feathers in his cap sort of wrapped around the top almost to the helmet stripe), the Saints, the Jets (nice shade of green and cool logo), and the Dolphins (wonderful color scheme and cool logo and helmet stripe). Had I suddenly come into possession of $10K in those days and my parents been unable to dictate how I spent it, I probably would've gotten a full-sized replica (maybe even authentic) helmet of every NFL team. Heck, I'd probably do that today if I could. Better yet, my favorite helmet of every NFL team.

Side note: Interesting to see how prominently featured the Falcons were in 1982.

I had a Redskins Hutch uniform with a burgundy Jay Schoeder #10 jersey and I did the same thing with removing that giant white Hutch sticker.

I also had a Hutch sweatshirt that looked like a Hutch uniform jersey. It was a white "jersey" with Doug Williams' #17 and the hood was the Redskins helmet complete with stripes and side logos. That shirt was awesome...wish I kept it for my kids!

87Redskins.png

Okay, I gotcha. So the page with the sweatshirt-and-pants combo was what, 1994?

the one I posted was also 1988. the website only goes up to 1988

Archived