2016 World Cup of Hockey

officeglenn

tournamentlogo_zpsdxanoth9.jpg

2016 WORLD CUP OF HOCKEY

Right ... so, there's been a lot of hubbub about the World Cup of Hockey returning in 2016. So here's my take on what things might look like.

A couple of ground rules, first off:

β€’ Each country has its own unique number font.
β€’ Most countries will use their traditional logos, although I did create new ones for the European All-Star team and the North American Youngstars team (and the tournament itself, seen above)
β€’ There are four jersey templates between the eight teams; each template gets used twice.

NORTH AMERICAN YOUNGSTARS

NAyoungstars_zpsgai8viui.jpg

NAyoungstars%20blue_zps23f6qiph.jpg

NAyoungstars%20white_zpstfqcbql3.jpg

EUROPEAN ALL-STARS

teameurope_zps6qajnx82.jpg

teameurope%20blue_zpsenrwc7vt.jpg

teameurope%20white_zpsi4hjkliv.jpg

These being the two teams unique to this particular tournament, I took some license to experiment with the jerseys while keeping the whole package true to the tournament brand. I also used colours that weren't being used elsewhere by other teams.

Here are the next two teams, Sweden and Canada. These teams usually go with more traditional looks, so these are the most conservative templates of the ones I designed. Canada, of course, has a black alt, and that's the only alt jersey in the whole tournament,

CANADA

canada%20red_zpshfjy1ffa.jpg

canada%20white_zpsxmmmtb4g.jpg

canada%20black_zpsr7r4yse8.jpg

SWEDEN

sweden%20blue_zps4pk0cldv.jpg

sweden%20yellow_zpspcfyiuvi.jpg

Up next are the United States and the Czech Republic. This was the first template I designed, and is sort of middle-of-the-road. It is meant to again mimic portions of the tournament logo, although not as overtly as the NA Youngstars or European All-Stars sets do. While I was trying not to have teams with similar colour schemes wearing the same template, this wound up being the odd one out with so many red-white-blue teams involved and wanting to keep

UNITED STATES

usa%20blue_zpsz6exhasi.jpg

usa%20white_zpsx6tgbez8.jpg

CZECH REPUBLIC

czech%20red_zpsctsxewiz.jpg

czech%20white_zpsq8kdivg2.jpg

The last two are Russia and Finland. This template is a little out there, but both Russia and Finland have worn futuristic designs in the past. I darkened Russia's red a tad just to set them apart from other red-white-blue teams.

RUSSIA

russia%20red_zpsu9x95swa.jpg

russia%20white_zpsaz6rglvz.jpg

FINLAND

finland%20blue_zpswmdbyr0j.jpg

finland%20white_zpscpa3kdg0.jpg

Pretty good. Only thing is I think it would be best if either all were on one template ore none looked the same. It seems weird to group random countries together branding wise.

jaker52sig.png

signatureofteams.jpg

MUNCHEN LOWEN (WAFA) GULF SHORES OSPREYS (IBL)

I like the designs, and the presentation is astonishing, but it would be much better if each team have their own distinct design, because each one has their own distinct identity. And it wouldn't be nice to have the same designs as your rivals.

77QSUj8.pngqCeHhp1.png?1

If you look at the 1996 World Cup of Hockey, both Canada and the U.S. had jerseys with the country's flags sublimated along the hemline. Even in other international tournaments, like world championships or world junior championships, you can see teams with similar templates. I guess I should have qualified this concept in that it's more what I think will happen, not what should happen with the 2016 tournament.

For the Finland logo you should have "Suomi" instead of "Finland", especially since you have Czech Republic written in Czech on their jersey

That's a fair point. I thought Finland had done away with writing "Suomi" on their jerseys along with the crest that read "Finland" in recent years, but apparently not. Here's a revised version:

finland%20blue2_zpsaobefhl4.jpg

finland%20white2_zps13mbn5pj.jpg

If you look at the 1996 World Cup of Hockey, both Canada and the U.S. had jerseys with the country's flags sublimated along the hemline. Even in other international tournaments, like world championships or world junior championships, you can see teams with similar templates. I guess I should have qualified this concept in that it's more what I think will happen, not what should happen with the 2016 tournament.

"So in a tournament 20 years ago, two teams used a sublimated flag on their jerseys therefore all 8 teams will share 4 jersey templates that look straight out of the 90's"

I don't see the logic.

usbnr3E.pngΒ  Β  Β QrRvhzH.pngΒ  Β  Β u0rDbga.png

"So in a tournament 20 years ago, two teams used a sublimated flag on their jerseys therefore all 8 teams will share 4 jersey templates that look straight out of the 90's"

I don't see the logic.

Well, the Sochi Olympics are also a good example of templating in these types of tournaments. The US and Slovakian home jerseys were different. Russia's red and Finland's blues utilized the same design (shoulder yoke and flag sleeve stripes). Then there were the flag design jerseys for the Czech Republic and Finland.

While the last two examples did look different, they were templates in the fact they used the exact same ideas.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Archived