Hawk Logo

pitt6pack

Just a Hawk logo I put together in MS Paint. This is basically just an update to my old high schools current logo, which I always thought could be a much better logo if it was just updated and cleaned up a bit. I drew a similar outline to the schools' logo on paper to get the shape of the hawk right, then drew a more modern logo within the outline before I started work in Paint. I used about the same colors as the school for comparison, but this is more of a template logo for any color scheme, like orange and silver which works quite well.

Hawks_newAll_zpsff6fllcj.png

Here is my old high schools current logo, just for reference:

Urbana.png

I can't remember if it was a student or a faculty member who came up with the design, but it was back when the school was being built in '94 so I wasn't around then. It's an original design though; I haven't seen any other hawk logos that look anything like this, so that's what made me want to give it a more modern update. I made some changes to the look, like completely changing the head and feet.

So that's about it. If anyone thinks improvements can be made, let me know what you think.

I think the legs and claws look weak. Also, the body needs more detail. It's a good start.

It was easier for me to make a quick edit on my drawn version than in paint.

a636ddbd-0244-42f0-be81-76b042a415a1_zps

I tried changing the shading around the close leg, which gives it a stronger look. It also seems I made the legs thicker in the drawing than in the Paint version, so I can change that as well. Same goes with the claws, I think they look better on my drawn version. I have a very simple design in terms of detail, especially compared to the reference logo, because I thought that logo had way too much detail. So I'm not sure how much detail I would want to add and where. What kind of suggestions would you (or anyone else) have?

Whoa you went to Urbana!? I went to Linganore!

Small world. Depending on when you went there we could have played against each other if you played football. We could have even been on the same team if you played LUYAA baseball.

I'm going to assume that you are using the line tools in Paint, correct? As someone who also converts hand-drawn concepts to paint, recently I have found that using the two layers of the thickest lInes helps your concepts a lot.

what I mean is that, once you've traced your image with the thickest line (I usually use Red 255), convert it to a 16 color bitmap, and remove the unwanted color, and trace your design a second time, once again using the thickest line.

This process helps make your lines twice as thick. Don't forget to save it back to a png image though.

Overall this is a nice start. I hope this helps and I wasn't too confusing!

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

I'm going to assume that you are using the line tools in Paint, correct? As someone who also converts hand-drawn concepts to paint, recently I have found that using the two layers of the thickest lInes helps your concepts a lot.

what I mean is that, once you've traced your image with the thickest line (I usually use Red 255), convert it to a 16 color bitmap, and remove the unwanted color, and trace your design a second time, once again using the thickest line.

This process helps make your lines twice as thick. Don't forget to save it back to a png image though.

Overall this is a nice start. I hope this helps and I wasn't too confusing!

This is actually the first time I've tried taking something hand drawn and traced it. I never thought of converting to a 16 color bitmap, and that is helpful to know in so many ways. What I did for this logo was trace the outline in gimp with the pencil tool on a separate layer, then copy the layer into paint (top left below). Then I retraced that much smoother with the smallest line tool (top middle). I usually like using the smallest line tool because you can get sharp edges and finer detail. The thin areas on this logo I had to retrace again, but I only used the second smallest line tool. I can easily go back and thicken up those lines. For future work though, this is some good information. I'm always glad to get more information and learn new methods for doing things in paint.

Hawks_newConst_zpsmq1bentd.png

(my "construction site" for making this logo)

I know this might be completely out of your logo design. But why not try making a front facing logo with the wings shaped like a U.

I never intended for this to be a redesign for the school, I just liked the hawk's silhouette and thought I could make a better logo out of it. I love the idea of the 'U' hawk, so maybe I can give it a shot at some point.

Here are my most recent updates (before on the left, after on the right)

ba1_zpsgbxsiqut.png

ba2_zps6zncev6t.png

The bottom picture contains all the changes I made. First I thickened the lines on the head and the legs/feet. I changed the shading underneath the hawk to be a bit cleaner / smoother and to transition better with the leg. I changed the shading under the top of the leg to make it appear bigger / stronger. Lastly I made some changes with the shading in the feet. Good changes? Me personally I think they are improvements.

You're moving in the right direction with the feet. I think it's good just needs claws, like just make the ends sharp/pointy. Very well done its awesome

Claws would be a welcome addition. Besides that, this is looking really solid.

Agreed on the addition of claws, and I do think everything else is looking the way I want it.

Hawks_new_zpsaglmbyuh.png

So new claws added, and I like the way they turned out.

Archived