I apparently own a pretty rare Ohio State Nike shirt

BucksFan5

I have had this Nike Ohio State Shirt for about 4 months now. Today at Buckeye Corner (chain of buckeye stores)an employee there asked me where I got the shirt from because it has been discontinued by Nike for a while. I ask him why it got discontinued and he points to the top right (your left)of the shirt. I have worn this shirt a ton of times to school. I got quite the laugh out of it and couldn't believe I had never noticed that before.

I bet you can't find what is wrong with it.

The shirt:

6Rvsz4x.jpg

The Reason it was discontinued for those who couldn't find it:

http://imgur.com/vXQNiHh.jpg

cotw_sig_by_bucksfan5-d7bwj72.png

SugarBowl_zps07e2b2c9.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ha! that is good. wonder if Nike will put out what the student section chants during a kickoff next? :)

honestly though, Nike in't even supposed to be doing any OSU apparel. but, they're Nike so they do what the want.

Ohio State has a huge contract with Nike. Why can't Nike make OSU apparel?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Ha! that is good. wonder if Nike will put out what the student section chants during a kickoff next? :)

honestly though, Nike in't even supposed to be doing any OSU apparel. but, they're Nike so they do what the want.

Nike has a sideline and on-court deal with OSU. uniforms and anything worn on gameday. J.America has an exclusive apparel deal with the school.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Nike has a sideline and on-court deal with OSU. uniforms and anything worn on gameday. J.America has an exclusive apparel deal with the school.

The Ohio State section on Fanatics kinda says otherwise. After reading more, the exclusive deal isn't all that exclusive - other companies can still make apparel for Ohio State.

The contract is this...J. America holds the contract for apparel exclusively licensed by Ohio State. They don't hold the exclusive contract for all apparel. Other companies can still produce Ohio State apparel through a license with the Collegiate Licensing Company. Nike can still make as many non-sideline Ohio State t-shirts it wants through the latter option.

I believe Lids is the only national retailer that can sell J. America Ohio State apparel.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The J.America contract covers anything Nike doesn't make. Nike has rights that go far beyond just the sideline apparel.

The Ohio State section on Fanatics kinda says otherwise. After reading more, the exclusive deal isn't all that exclusive - other companies can still make apparel for Ohio State.

The contract is this...J. America holds the contract for apparel exclusively licensed by Ohio State. They don't hold the exclusive contract for all apparel. Other companies can still produce Ohio State apparel through a license with the Collegiate Licensing Company. Nike can still make as many non-sideline Ohio State t-shirts it wants through the latter option.

I believe Lids is the only national retailer that can sell J. America Ohio State apparel.

then the contract has been negotiated and changed (surely before being signed, which took a year) since last i had heard. the original agreement was heading towards J.America holding exclusive control and if they wanted to extend a license to other providers, they could do so. there was some thoughts about having Homage do a vintage line, if JA could benefit from it of course.

what i don't believe has changed is what makes the apparel "official" which would be use of trademarked phrases and logos, which Nike does.

JA apparel can be found in Target, Khols, Dick's Sporting Goods, and other national retailers.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I don't have time to do the research right now but I vaguely remember tosu, usc and texas were exploring similar bids. As others have mentioned there are several categories of apparrel and nike's contracts allow them exclusive rights to market certain apparel product categories (typically tied with athletics).

There's just no way any nike school would be able to completely squeeze out nike from apparrel sales as that is a major justificatoin for them entering into such large $$$ contracts in the 1st place. What the schools are doing with these other agreements are typically for non-athletic based university branded apparel that can be sold either in bookstores or retail outlets.

Archived