Good/bad World Series uni matchups

johnnysama

I said previously in the season thread, but this will be the first ever World Series to feature two royal blue caps. If the Mets win tonight, the LCSs will feature all four teams with the lighter shade of royal blue.

As for great matchups since I've been watching, Braves-Yankees, Indians-Marlins, Giants-Angels, and Phillies-Yankees were all great for different reasons. Phillies-Yankees was the first series I watched in HD, and I feel those uniforms, combined with great stadium lighting and the darker infield dirt, made for a great visual presentation. The games in Philly looked particularly great.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

While the many Yankees/Dodgers World Series represent the epitome of uniform-related greatness, for me the next best matchup that has ever occurred was the 1973 clash between the Mets and the A's.

Both teams were at the heights of their looks. But there was also a contrast between the two that is lacking in the Yankee-Dodger meetings.

First of all, there was the colour contrast: the blue/orange Mets on the field with the green/gold A's presented a vibrant picture.

Then there was the contrast in style: the Mets had traditional uniforms, with no names on the back. They also had the unusual feature of a different number font at home (standard block) and on the road (varsity). The A's had pullovers and beltless pants. Their pants were white, even on the road; and their jerseys were white or green or gold. They had an unusual number font. (The 1s had serifs; the 4s and 7s did not.)

hunter-seaver_zpsrjt3dymt.png

IMG_0008_NEW+-+Copy+%25285%2529.jpg

staub-bando_zpsjdw9b2in.png

11e70f8662346d6fa6677f881a2aba39.jpg

BertCampanerisSportsIllustrated.jpg

cleon%2Bjones%2Bscores%2B1973%2Bworld%2B

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Reds vs A's in 1990 was one of my favorites. One of the few "blueless" World Series' we've ever had.

larkin-athletics.jpg

1990_world_series_cincinnati__0_14298686

Yes The only problem was that the Reds were inexplicably holding on to the pullover/beltless uniforms. They in fact were the last team to wear that style, wearing them through to 1992. On top of that, they made the set worse by introducing needless white outlines and pants piping on the road. And don't get me started on that diagonal 2!

Compare the 1990 uniforms with the original version:

sports-illustrated-best-franchises-11.jp

If only they could have introduced the 1993 uniforms a few years earlier.

jose-rijo.jpg

(Though there's that crazy diagonal 2 still hanging in there.)

Giants vs A's in 1989 wasnt bad either

245677d1330171903-major-league-baseball-

Right; it looked great when the Giants were on the road. But I really disliked the home wordmark on that set.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived