Tampabay devilrays concept *fixed link

Hbomb90

I'm likely in the minority here, but I actually don't mind the D-Rays scheme. MLB has enough red, navy, and grey... I don't mind it, but a change is nice. I think Pantone posted an interesting adjustment to their colour scheme on this board or on the other that would work well IMO. Although the fact that the D-Rays play in a division with relatively little red (the Red Sox alt, and the Jays accent colour are the only ones that come to mind) would mean that if any division had a team add red, the AL East wouldn't be a bad choice.
WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I happen to like the Rays' present color set and uniforms.  Its the only thing they've got going for them right now.  Their original uniforms, colors and logo were a trainwreck.

I happen to like the Rays' present color set and uniforms.  Its the only thing they've got going for them right now.  Their original uniforms, colors and logo were a trainwreck.

And the name.

Why not just Rays? Why Devil Rays?

It's just not something you can say easily - just why they get called D-Rays so often.

It's just not something you can say easily - just why they get called D-Rays so often.

See "Oakland Athletics," "New York Metropolitans," "Minnesota Timberwolves" and what I believe is the longest name in pro sports "Philadelphia Seventy-Sixers."

Some names were just meant to be truncated but that doesn't mean they should be "officially" shortened.  Truncated names are a sports tradition (especially in the ESPN era) I don't see anything wrong with the name Devil Rays - it is an actual creature.  My guess is that the team wanted to avoid the same type of legal mess that the Jacksonville Jaguars found themselves in with a British subsidiary of the Ford Motor Company and thus they bypassed "Stingrays."

See "Oakland Athletics," "New York Metropolitans," "Minnesota Timberwolves" and what I believe is the longest name in pro sports "Philadelphia Seventy-Sixers."

Some names were just meant to be truncated but that doesn't mean they should be "officially" shortened.  Truncated names are a sports tradition (especially in the ESPN era) I don't see anything wrong with the name Devil Rays - it is an actual creature.  My guess is that the team wanted to avoid the same type of legal mess that the Jacksonville Jaguars found themselves in with a British subsidiary of the Ford Motor Company and thus they bypassed "Stingrays."

For longest name...

Philadelphia Seventy-Sixers

San Francisco Fourty-Niners

Whatdayaknow...It's a tie!

My guess is that the team wanted to avoid the same type of legal mess that the Jacksonville Jaguars found themselves in with a British subsidiary of the Ford Motor Company and thus they bypassed "Stingrays."

See, and I was going to suggest they should have gone with "Stingrays."

Good point.

It's San Francisco Forty-Niners

The number 4 being spelled "F-O-U-R" you'd think it'd be Fourty, and you'd be wrong. It is in fact Forty.

Philadelphia Seventy-Sixers = 25 letters

San Fransisco Forty-Niners = 23 letters

It wasn't a tie in the first place (unless you're counting spaces and hyphens).

And I think Tampa Bay Devil Rays sounds better than just Tampa Bay Rays, because it has a kind of rhythm to how you say it... 1-2-3, 1-2-3... maybe I'm sounding too much like my English Teacher. Yowza.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

It's San Francisco Forty-Niners

The number 4 being spelled "F-O-U-R" you'd think it'd be Fourty, and you'd be wrong. It is in fact Forty.

Philadelphia Seventy-Sixers = 25 letters

San Fransisco Forty-Niners = 23 letters

It wasn't a tie in the first place (unless you're counting spaces and hyphens).

And I think Tampa Bay Devil Rays sounds better than just Tampa Bay Rays, because it has a kind of rhythm to how you say it... 1-2-3, 1-2-3... maybe I'm sounding too much like my English Teacher. Yowza.

I didn't clarify - when I was discussing name lengths I was referring to syllables -- Sixers 10, 'Niners 8.

For longest name...

Philadelphia Seventy-Sixers

San Francisco Fourty-Niners

Whatdayaknow...It's a tie!

Never mind the fact you can just shorten it and call them the Sixers or Niners. I'm pretty sure everyone will know who you're talking about. :D

As for Josh, I've always wondered that myself. If the city's name is actually Tampa, why are all their sports teams Tampa Bay?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

it shouldn't be the Tampa Bay Rays... but it should be the Tampa Rays, almost like sayin Tampa Bay... sounds much more natural.

Now that could work. Sounds kinda cool.

Tampa Rays... Tampa Rays... Tampa Rays...

I like.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

it shouldn't be the Tampa Bay Rays... but it should be the Tampa Rays, almost like sayin Tampa Bay... sounds much more natural.

josh

I'm not an expert, but I believe the town IS actually Tampa. It's just that the NFL called the Bucs "Tampa Bay" to include the whole region.

So, it would make sense to call them Tampa Rays...

Another thing about calling them just the Rays. If they wanted to sell more merchandise, they could just dump the sea creature theme and have the name mean sun rays.

Then you'd have a helluva horrible look similar to what the Jacksonville Suns have created.

The D-Rays road jersey is one of the best in baseball

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived