Parents in Kids Sports

Brass

The adult hockey league I play runs a beginners school every year. A trend I've seend recently is that quite a few hockey parents--men and women--are going through the school and starting to play hockey themselves. I think it's the best thing that they can do! It gives them a much greater understanding for the game, and respect for the skills necessary to play.

As for coaches, from my refereeing experience, most are fine, if a bit loud. There's a few that give the rest a bad name, mind you. I figure, if you want to ask a question, discuss a call, etc, I'm fine with that. If you want to yell and scream about everything, you can do that somewhere else.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Well I'm a defensemen, so a hard shot is almost required, especially in the offensive zone and on the pentaly kill.

Oh and BTW, it's ICE hockey for my goalie that won goalie of the year. But hey! When ur parents are on the board, you get everything....

No, wrist shot is most often required. Junior and colleges coachs will tell you take snap or wrist from the point and how often do you have time to take an slap shot?

How can anyone have 7.56 GAA in ICE, that league has to be brutal.

Well I'm a defensemen, so a hard shot is almost required, especially in the offensive zone and on the pentaly kill.

Oh and BTW, it's ICE hockey for my goalie that won goalie of the year. But hey! When ur parents are on the board, you get everything....

No, wrist shot is most often required. Junior and colleges coachs will tell you take snap or wrist from the point and how often do you have time to take an slap shot?

How can anyone have 7.56 GAA in ICE, that league has to be brutal.

Yea, and my wrist shot isn't the fastest in the world.

And the league isn't brutal, it's our goalie was horrible.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Well, if your on the point you can fire a one-timer that would be a slap shot

your not trying to score from the point, your trying to get the puck low and around the net and or get rebounds for the forwards to tap in. Ive seen guys take slap shots with there heads down, the puck hits someone on the other team in the shins they get a break away, they score, seen it at least ten times, I've found that wrist shots or snap shots are more successful from the point.

back on topic, most parents are understanding, but some are jackasses.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

i know how you feel, i once had a baseball coach bat his son at leadoff the entire season the kid probably got two hits all year, while i was hitting 500. in the eight spot, needless to say our record was 1-15, i hate nepotism

In that same vein about nepotism/favortism...

I played basketball in private school (middle school/jr.high), and the rule was that all of the highest classmen (8th graders) as long as there were at least 5 trying out for the team (it was a small school), then the 8th graders were the team's starting 5 for the season, no questions asked..even if they were terrible they got to start. this had always worked and we were always one of the best teams in our section. Well, the year I was in 8th grade, the coach announced the team after a few tryouts, and in the starting 5 there was ONE 8th grader. With it being a church-sponsored school, and our coach/principal was the assistant pastor, the 4 6th and 7th graders that made the starting lineup were ALL Deacon/Church board member's sons! Six upperclassmen tried out and only one made it to the starting team. That season, the five of us upperclassmen had to sit on the bench and watch as these tiny 6th and 7th graders (not that we were much bigger, though) got trashed by team after team, and then we were expected to clean up the mess. After getting 2nd in the section the previous year, we went 4-16 and were dead last.

the worst was a game where our wonderful deacon sons didn't even get a SHOT off until the 2nd quarter. By the time the coach realized the starters were tanking, he subbed in the 8th graders and we were down 32-0! After the game, the upperclassmen were blamed because "we didn't keep the team in the game".

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

that would be good...if he was a Lax goalie. I've never skated in my life so I'm not gonna say I could do better, but I kinda figure a guy letting in 7 goals every game doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

the worst was a game where our wonderful deacon sons didn't even get a SHOT off until the 2nd quarter. By the time the coach realized the starters were tanking, he subbed in the 8th graders and we were down 32-0! After the game, the upperclassmen were blamed because "we didn't keep the team in the game".
you're not kidding, are you?

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived