Ottawa Senators

B-mer

I like the first white jersey, but the overall set lacks character. A good example is the current Carolina Hurricanes jerseys. They're solid jerseys, but they don't have any character. I think gold olive-branch pattern in the striping would add a lot to the set. Regardless, it's a great place to start.

the first white jersey probably has a better color balance, especially with the pants and socks, but the second white jersey reminds me a lot more of that original jersey. That would be more in line with a proper update.

They look good, that's for sure.

What's the shoulder patch?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

This is the shoulder patch i made, although it resized horribly. 

sensaltlogocopy2.png

One thing i wanted to try and avoid is incorporating the laurel leaves into the jersey, even if it was sublimation.  The pre-edge jerseys did just fine without it, so i wanted to keep them off of this. 

I'm going to make a couple of smaller updates and add a font that might help with the character issue.  it's not a font they've used, though it is a bit similar. 

An "O" instead of an "S" would look much better for the shoulder patch, but other than that, fantastic job on the logo!

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

10 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

An "O" instead of an "S" would look much better for the shoulder patch, but other than that, fantastic job on the logo!

I personally like the way the S looks better, but the O would be more iconic.

11 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

I figured the gold ring stood as the O, so went with the S to not be redundant. 

I think the dot on the bottom is a missed opportunity. I'd put the leaf there and play with putting a year or something else on the top since there's more space. 

I like the S. it does look better, and it certainly can't be confused with a zero. I think it's also a bit of a cleaner break from the original team - it has the stripes as an homage, but it's not going to give anything more. This is a new team doing new things and needs to be recognized as such.

57 minutes ago, hockey week said:

I think the dot on the bottom is a missed opportunity. I'd put the leaf there and play with putting a year or something else on the top since there's more space. 

I see your point. Originally in my mind the dot was the origination point of the laurels and I felt the leaf was out of place at the bottom. I'll try it out though. 

Update with those changes.  Will post some other options too.  I went back and forth on the color order on the numbers, so let me know thoughts.  The font is from Conrad's font thread for the Redhawks.  I thought it was a good blend of a modern font, has some elements from the Serpentine font, and is just different.

sensf_zpscxme03cv.png

numbs_zps6hovnvyo.png

idk if this is nitpicking or not, but I think the hemline stripes look somewhat incomplete because they don't have the same black and gold top stripe that the sleeves do. Maybe including them makes it more busy, and it certainly distances it further from the original jerseys, but I think that might be the last little thing this concept is missing.

14 minutes ago, hockey week said:

idk if this is nitpicking or not, but I think the hemline stripes look somewhat incomplete because they don't have the same black and gold top stripe that the sleeves do. Maybe including them makes it more busy, and it certainly distances it further from the original jerseys, but I think that might be the last little thing this concept is missing.

I did think about it, but I almost feel like it does distance it more than I'd like from the set it's based off of, and makes it less of a Senators jersey. Each team has (or had) a certain little detail that stood out and was inconsistent, but made it unique. This part of the jersey, along with the arm stripes is that to me with Ottawa. 

There were certain things I wanted to accomplish while making this set.

1. Use the pre-edge white jersey as a base, and update it a little to return to a look that was more or less unique to them and they could own.  Detroit is the only other team to color their arms in a similar way, but they are certainly distinguishable.  All of that while trying to be fresh and not just a carbon copy of the base jersey.
  2. Keep red as a primary, if not dominant color, since that's what it seems the team is going for now.
  3. Incorporate gold
  4. I have seen a lot of people criticize that jersey for the arm stripes blending together, so the bolder stripe and gold trim help there

1 hour ago, hockey week said:

I agree with hw.

Perhaps the hem striping should match the arm and socks striping.

It's a really good-looking set, B-mer!

Archived